Off Topic Big john rigger ??

Puddle Jumper

I recently bought a pair of used big John electric down riggers.

Both are missing the band that attach to line counter .

Any idea best place to get replacements
Or a DIY fix

Question # 2
Has anyone used electric down riggers for running planner boards .

I'm working on a project boat since I already have cannon electrics....im thinking of using big johns for planner last.

I think Grimsby tackle has your counter springs I have the same riggers they are metal round springs. Others have used black rubber grease seals they work but rot after awhile. Running them as a planner board mast the metal cable is heavy, I don't think it would work, you could try it. Most planner masts have a nylon cord.
You could try putting a cord in place of the steel cable.

@Fish Farmer... I've run large planer boards off my steel cabled Scotty manual riggers for many years and now off Walker electric riggers with no issues at all. The release clip rings slide beautifully down the steel cable all the way to board perfectly. Once I have about 8 release clips at the board after catching several fish I haul the board back in remove the releases and start over again. Works well for me. :)

Last edited:

Or a DIY fix

Question # 2

I'm working on a project boat since I already have cannon electrics....im thinking of using big johns for planner last.

Or a DIY fix

Question # 2

Sorry @Puddle Jumper just noticed your downrigger is electric and needs the Kt2283 counter spring which they don't seem to carry but may be able to order them for you if you contact them. Maybe someone can give you a contact for someone else that does carry them.

For the planer boards, do you mean just taking the motor and building it into the mast? Or at the front of the boat sticking out the side with no hight

Call Tammy at Rockeys Tackle Service 705-325-3526 with the part number and you could have them by Friday if in stock.

Jos at Angling Outfitters gave me this number for Big Jon Parts.(705) 476-6010. I believe he is located in North Bay. Delivered right to your house within a few days. Grimsby may be your best bet if your close. Delivery charge vs gas!

For the planer boards, do you mean just taking the motor and building it into the mast? Or at the front of the boat sticking out the side with no hight
I was thinking I would make a post that mounts up front (quick connect) with bases for the riggers on in . And put the riggers on it . I would either use planner cord or heavy braided line on the riggers for running planners.

The riggers were cheaper than buying planer reels and I can make the pole and brackets

Or a DIY fix

Question # 2

Saw your post and I've just update the stock for these springs on the electric downriggers (KT2283) on our website https://fishison.ca/shop/big-jon-counter-spring-kt2283/ Same price as the springs for the manual downriggers $10. Grimsby Tackle is the vendor and I'm sure he'll sort you out if you haven't found them already.
Good luck and tight lines
Roman

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks