Off Topic Best sealant for leaking waders

Wave Runner

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I know about Aquaseal and other products but just wondering if anyone has tried 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 4000 UV. I watched a video where a guy that has literally tried everything and says this is the most permanent fix he's found over all others.

Just watch what product you buy of that nature one has a 7 day cure time and the other is just a few hours ... used that product to create a new seam seal on my sea ray as when it rained I has a spot along the starboard side I could see wetting ...so 8 hrs to trim out the Old seal and then tape a new 1/4 inch seam seal the entire length of the rub rail top and bottom and yes 6 days later it was seal and no leaks nice and dry ....Great Product by 3m ... I'd get the quick cure next time ...lol ... hope this helps ...cheers...

Just watch what product you buy of that nature one has a 7 day cure time and the other is just a few hours ... used that product to create a new seam seal on my sea ray as when it rained I has a spot along the starboard side I could see wetting ...so 8 hrs to trim out the Old seal and then tape a new 1/4 inch seam seal the entire length of the rub rail top and bottom and yes 6 days later it was seal and no leaks nice and dry ....Great Product by 3m ... I'd get the quick cure next time ...lol ... hope this helps ...cheers...
Thanks for your reply. Yeah the 3M 5200 has a cure time of 7 days but is the strongest and most flexible sealant they make. This 4000 UV and the 4200 fast cure are 24 hours. They are all the same price and I'm in no hurry so I am leaning toward the 5200 because more flexibility would be a good thing on waders I would think. :)

Thanks for your reply. Yeah the 3M 5200 has a cure time of 7 days but is the strongest and most flexible sealant they make. This 4000 UV and the 4200 fast cure are 24 hours. They are all the same price and I'm in no hurry so I am leaning toward the 5200 because more flexibility would be a good thing on waders I would think. :)

Wear old clothes and throw away gloves.

Speaking from experience @Wave Runner .

I think my neighbour is still sanding the stuff off. LOL 🌻

5200 is potent stuff. Once its cured you need a jackhammer to remove it. My dealer bedded my fire extinguisher mount with it in my console in lieu of drilling holes. I asked if it was strong enough when i saw it. He said you will see. Man was he not lying. Be careful with it. Its forever.

Any marine dealer would have it. Im told but cant verify that its a one shot deal - once you pierce the tube and expose to air you cant put the cap back on and save for next time. It will still look fine but wont perform the same. Again, i have no proof to the claim.

The leak is at the seam where the boot portion is attached to the upper denier section. I decided to use the 3M 4200 so we will see how well it works. If it still leaks then I'll resort to the method @John used, gas and a match. ;) 😁

Thanks for the info Bob. I've only got one pair that don't leak but will definitely use your advise when and if they do. Don't use them much any more. Too old for that stuff now and leave the wading to younger guys if I can. Decided a few years ago to limit my waterfowl hunting to guided
hunts where the guide or the dog does the retrieving.

This was probably clamp overkill but made sure I left no bubbles where water could sleep in at the seam. After taking the clamps off everything looks tightly sealed and surprisingly is quite flexible not rock hard. I tried pulling it apart and not a chance that seam is coming apart. 👍👍👍

PXL_20220307_150717710.jpg

Once I get a chance @Duck Soup to try these out I'll let you know how it all worked out. I am quite confident they are not ever going to leak there again.
Fill them with water and have a marker handy to circle any leaks once everything is cured. Leave the water in for a while so any slow leaks can show up. Just drape the over a saw horse and clamp for a while. Don't hang by the straps. They can't take the weight. I tend to need a new pair every 5 years or so but people tell me I'm hard on my toys. 🙄 My last pair where in the $600 range so I'm going to rely on Patagonias warranty from here on out.

Hey @Duck Soup and @Stick... I tested the waders this morning and zero leakage now.👍 I sealed both RS and LS wader seams even though the right one was the only one leaking. Why wait until I spring another leak on the left one when it's so simply to seal with the 3M 4200. I tried cutting the cured product with a tile knife and it is tough as nails but so flexible. Great stuff for repairing waders. Oh just to mention I did thoroughly clean all areas well with a cloth and alcohol before sealing which I think is essential for superior bonding not matter what product you use for repair. :)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks