Beaching Fiberglass Boat

Bassboy19

Hi guys, take it easy on me if this is a stupid question but.......

Last summer I picked up a new to me 1999 Wilker Galaxie 17. Got it outfitted just as I want it for the way I like to fish, which is 90% Lake O/Erie trolling. Coming from a 15’ aluminum, I’m loving it for that kind of fishing. The only thing I missed out on last summer was a weekend or two at the Massassauga PP. Anyone who’s camped in the islands at the Massassauga know that 80% of the sites would be out of the question for any larger aluminium or fiberglass boats (IMO), most of them are suited for smaller aluminums or canoes with rocky landings. There are, however, a handful of nice sites with gentle beach landings. I’ve still never seen anyone in a heavier fiberglass boat at any of these sites, for as long as my memory serves me anyways.

Of course I’ve seen much bigger and heavier boats at anchor at Pottahawk or Turkey Point beach, etc. But would I be stupid to try and actually put a 17’ fiberglass up on a beach and tie off to land like I did with the aluminum? Or should I stick to anchoring in shallow water? I’m not so concerned about the keel/hull on a soft bottom, more about getting the damn thing up off the beach and moving with just myself and the wife for example. I missed the Mass a lot last summer, but canoeing doesn’t do it for me either. Cabin fever is setting in already and I’m trying to weigh my options for this summer coming up.

Hope my question makes sense, thanks fellas and stay safe.

My cousin and I beached his 17' Tempest sever times. The only issue we ever had was moving off the beach when the water dropped several feet. Luckily being young and dumb at the time we got it off the beach.

There are a few issues with beaching a fiberglass boat. The effort to get it back in the water as mentioned above. The other is a gouging the gel coat which can lead to issue with the fiberglass in time.

There are beaching bumpers you can install to reduce any damage. I installed a Keelguard on mine. Was pretty straightforward.

..I too had a 17 foot Tempest..beached it too many times to count in the 14 years I had it..never had a problem..The first summer we owned it, we rented a cottage within Colchester Harbour..It was beached there all summer with no problems..just make sure you put up the lower unit when approaching the beach..

If the water is calm probably okay but if the wind comes up creating waves it could quickly become a problem. Each wave will push the boat farther up on the beach until you may need a tow truck get it off or a dozen Hulk Hogans. "Been there done that".... safer to just anchor in shallow water. ;)

boat fail GIF

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks