Be careful burwell

Sorry to hear that anyone had some damage.

My two young boys and I got out of Burwell today and wow yes! The mudline was wild. Logs and debris everywhere.

The folks in Burwell were very helpful to all but I surely appreciated it as I was singlehanded. It was more like whitewater canoeing than lake fishing!
Exactly

Yes was very unfortunate and a 28 foot boat. I would of thought coming up the river they would of realized how strong the current was and stayed to the center. I am hoping it's just the ladder.
We were behind those guys on the way out. Watched them smack into your boat and the few past as well. Did they ever come back and exchange info?

Launched at 6am and things were looking nasty. Definitely put your boating skills to the test. West of port was a debris field of logs and crap. Lake was beautiful with a full 2 man limit in 1 hour @ 62 ‘. Returning back into port was again testing buddy’s skills with “ drive it like you own it” being the advice. Landed safely at Big Otter just in time to help others out and witness the shit show. A few pics of the day.

Your wake seems a bit excessive for the channel, no? Seems like the guys on shore are giving you the stank eye…

In regards to collisions with boats, how does this work on the water to determine who is at fault and who is paying for repairs? I’ve had a few vehicle accidents, but haven’t had to deal with a collision on the water.

Your wake seems a bit excessive for the channel, no? Seems like the guys on shore are giving you the stank eye…

In regards to collisions with boats, how does this work on the water to determine who is at fault and who is paying for repairs? I’ve had a few vehicle accidents, but haven’t had to deal with a collision on the water.
In the main flow going downstream, I was doing 7 km/h in neutral and so I am pretty sure many exceeded the rule of "10 km/h within 100 feet of shore" while trying to maneuver... but it makes almost no wake in that direction, so it is the right thing to do.

Coming up stream is the reverse, even an anchored boat would be breaking the "no wake" rule. In that much flow, it was hard to avoid a bigger wake than normal but everyone I saw did the best they could to run up slow and in control, in the slower moving waters.

Run too slow, and the current takes you off course- you have no control. Run too fast and your wake is really big. I think most in the marina would prefer a guy with excessive wake to another guy getting spun around and causing collisions. 🤷‍♂️

That much rain this time of year is rare... next time I'll pick another launch. Nothing against the great folks at the marinas of Burwell, but it sounded like a once in 10 years kind of problem... easy to avoid.

The pics you’re referring to were taken heading up channel against the current, the power we were using was necessary to keep the boat under control unlike some others. There was also a 28 ‘ boat coming the other way that was battling the elements and we were side stepping him. If you were there you’d understand the situation. I’m always aware of my wake but thanks for your concern.

Last edited:
when you're moving with the current your boat needs to be moving faster than the current or you won't have any control of the boat.

A great example of this is if you are going downriver from Big Chute Port Severn.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks