bayfield river

sorry bout your luck Jayway, man I wish I had my subscriptions to ontario fisherman so that I could drive over to Bobo and throw them in his face... and not to mention the pics of the 8 rainbows I caught while using LURES this time of year right through to Dec 18th!!!!You ask a Michigan steelheader and he wil tell you to float pink worms..thats plastic and yes Bobo thats a lure!!! We all know roe works and I use it on occassion but when they aint bitin....I outfished roe...Jay way be carefull in highwater and fish or drift close to the bank...u will get them there...fish no more than six feet from the bank and keep the hell out of the river please...when I can get out and I mean soon I hope to show you pics of me, my rainbows and lures dangling from them..by the way I caught my biggest rainbow 8 1/2 pounds..maitland river, high and very dirty water # 3 silver mepps, drift fishing second week of November 1992..I have a polaroid pic of him!lol

just some quick avice j...lures work well when you can control the depth they drift ....your presentation is the same as roe...HAS TO BE NATURAL !!!! I cant stress that enough...they move in and out of holes and usually hold up in them unless frightened out of them...example...fisherman and sudden noises...they are spooked from movement on the bank as well so patience is key and natural , floating presentations essential.Dont be afraid to use smaller mepps #0 and hang some worm...you will cover more water with artificial and even get reactive hits more so than roe...dont forget this is a advanced way of fishing and once you are on, remember your pattern and change it up if they turn off.

Jayway..can you also explain what you are using for equipment...rod type, length, # test, when floating roe, when using spinners, and leaders you use, weight if any, do you cast to 10:00 and drift your lure to 3:00? These are critical to catching and not spooking fish..let me know or email me at denmckeo@yahoo.ca man I want to hear that you catch a bow...its the best feeling ever bro!! Have you gone on utube to see the brothers catching them driftfishing?

Silverbullet, 8 rainbows in one month! Wow lures must work magic! I going to throw all my roe in the garbage and use lures from now on, thanks for the tips!

Bobo, once you take that thumb out of your mouth and prove to me your 100:1 theory of roe against lures I will give you my lures!!!dont waste your hard earned money...I think if you read your post you said roe outfishes lures 100:1, I never said lures outfishes roe but advised that lures have given me great success, give your head a shake you are the one dishin lures and saying my advice is misleading...so on that note good luck the rest of the year and stick with what you are used to, bows are the most challenging fish to catch, this weekend should be good all over our area lures or roe will work for sure

Hey bullet, I am not going to argue about it anymore. Just in the last week I've landed probably close to 30 steelhead myself and seen the same numbers landed by friends I fish with, all on roe. I would have never dreamed of putting a lure on with this kind of success. Good luck on the rest of the season!

Silver Bullet
Thanks man i really appreciate it.
I was using a 10 foot browning steelhead rod, nothing top of the line with a shimano Stradic spin cast reel off my smally rod, 6 pound floro.
Drifting with a clear little slip bobber, with about 6 feet of line to my hook, with a split shot every 2 feet.
I threw a number 3 silver, blue fox. with a couple of shots.
i think my problem is i fan cast up stream, where if i understand you correctly there is a tighter drift i should be doing.
Thanks again

Your set up doesnt sound all that bad. Talk to other fisherman and see how they have theirs set up. There use to be a raven guide online with various shotting patterns, maybe try googling it or perhaps someone can post it.

DSCF3054.jpg

My next time out will be my ritual remembrance day fish after ceremonies are done. I cant think of a better day to get my first bow

your just about right bud...my bad...dammit u dont need split shots drifting lures in conditions as the maitland gives....make sure you hold the rod butt at chest height and keep the line tight, with your free index finger, rest the line on it 8" up from the reel, this will allow you to feel the tap. WHEN you feel the tap set the hook with a quick wrist cock..nothing.. keep drifting to 3:00 reel in and jig. Cast out 20', then 25, then 30 and so on the idea is you are covering water. When I cast to 10 or 11:00 I reel in line to tightness , set the hook that will get the blades going or your lures natural movement. The key is to watch your line, feel the rift, and if your line makes a sudden turn set the hook and hold the f@#$#ck on...please understand unlike roe it is difficult to get in to small areas and this method wont work where there is 100 roe fisherman...try what I did and find a stretch where you can cast and have about 200'of river to work and believe me the maitland has it. I avoid the crowd at all costs and don't enjoy the fact some a hole frightens the fish, thinks he owns the productive stretch, hogs it for himself and not to mention the annoyance of tying up with freezing fingers! Please let me know cause you WILL catch that bow if you try this technique. I use an open face spinning reel because for me I like to gauge how much line is out and gives me depth control and drift speed.Try any variances of this like jigging every 10 ft of drift, slow retrieve and let line out and repeat..anything to antagonize them! Try 3/4 oz cleo chartreuse, blue/ silver, rainbow, green/silver, mepps with or without meat. Try a two way swivel (black) to a 2' lead of 6# test and snap swivel (black). Your main line can be 8# mono (cause I find flouro twists and can cause backlash)I use a 9' bass pro special noodle rod. Play your fish with the drag and keep the line tight always or he will spit it at you!!!

if you still don't catch one you need to understand current, back eddies, indications of structure but that will be another day.If you or should I say WHEN you catch one "you will have learned". You just ain't doin it right bro. You have presentation problems guaranteed.Just be a keener and remember your presentation...then they will be off for 15 to 20 min.. and try again...hence the term Fishing lol Good luck and keep that line tight ;/>

SB

One more thing J...lose the bobber...you are casting out from 20' -60'. I meant the presentation or drifting technique is the same as roe. Not the set up or rig. its just 8# mono...2way swivel, 2-3'6# leader, snap swivel and your choice of ammo!

Thanks again SB,
I have spent a lot of time and money chasing these Chrome fish around this year.
I wont be fishing the Maitland on 11 Sept, by the time i finish the ceremony and ditch the army uniform it will be afternoon. Somewhere more local will have to do. Probably Delaware Bridge on the Thames. Seen some nice ones pulled from there over the years.
My next full day i want to head down to the whirl pool on the lower niagra.

Anyways thanks again SB if you ever feel a St. Clair trip coming on please dont hesitate to ask questions.
You have made this Afghan vet a happy man.
cheers

Well I'm thankful that you have sacrificed for our country, I'm grateful and always will be to our Vets, I come from five generations of warriors dating back to Napolean. My dad was First Hussars, Granddad was R.C.R, Great Grandad was 48th highlander, 2GGrandad was with british navy (war of 1812) have his sword plaque and 3G Granddad was british navy, was there when they kicked Napolean's ass. I didn't serve but I hold the respect and honour that my ancestors entrenched in me when I was young. Three of us share the same birthday! I wish you great success with the hunt for chromeez and will be glad to help anytime bud! Thank you with a two finger salute! I'm from London and never fished the thames for bows, I have heard that they are there too. They do follow the salmon in. Let me know when you are going...I left my email previously, I will give you a no sh$#@ter crash course!

Jay, if you have time go back and try fishing the bayfield , lots of fresh fish around throughout the entire rivet.

The question of the week...How low can you go? Yes the Bayfield River is even lower yet. At least a good foot from levels in the last few months. What's going on bysides no rain?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks