Off Topic batter for deep frying

packrat

been using club house beer batter mix for some time now and came across some batter courtesy Knights of Columbus that really shines. asked for recipe but its ancient chinese secret:unsure: the main ingredient is you start with a pitcher of beer;) after that you're on your own. any cooks here have a recipe they're proud of and wouldnt mind sharing. promise wont tell a soul:ROFLMAO:

I don't buy that pre-mixed store stuff like "fish crisp" etc when I make a batter. I make my own. This is the one I use Gord.

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons corn starch

1/2 tablespoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup water

Step 1

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Step 2

Add water and stir to combine.

Step 3

This is a thick batter, but I always use a little more water, beer, or maybe a little white wine to thin it a little bit to the consistency I want it to be.

Step 4

Coat fish fillets completely.

Step 5

Deep fry until golden brown.

Along with any seasonings you wish, Stir 3/4 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of water until smooth. Use immediately.

Dip fish into another bowl with flour (seasoned if you wish) then an egg wash, then dip the fish into the batter and deep fry. Use also for vegetables or onion rings.

To make into beer batters, just substitute beer for water. Use warm beer for best results.

I don't buy that pre-mixed store stuff like "fish crisp" etc when I make a batter. I make my own. This is the one I use Gord.

3/4 cup all purpose flour

2 tablespoons corn starch

1/2 tablespoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup water

Step 1

Mix the dry ingredients together.

Step 2

Add water and stir to combine.

Step 3

This is a thick batter, but I always use a little more water, beer, or maybe a little white wine to thin it a little bit to the consistency I want it to be.

Step 4

Coat fish fillets completely.

Step 5

Deep fry until golden brown.

Along with any seasonings you wish, Stir 3/4 cup flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt together in a large bowl. Whisk in 1 cup of water until smooth. Use immediately.

Dip fish into another bowl with flour (seasoned if you wish) then an egg wash, then dip the fish into the batter and deep fry. Use also for vegetables or onion rings.

To make into beer batters, just substitute beer for water. Use warm beer for best results.
can always count on you expertise Trevor(y)(y)

If you like a fluffy batter regular pancake mix works great. Just use beer instead of water. Actually for the last couple of years though I do fish on the barbecue on a barbecue mat. I dip them in flour seasoned with lemon pepper, an egg wash and then panko bread crumbs seasoned with Italian seasoning. The trick is to spray the mat with cooking spray and also spray the fillets before you flip them. Get your temperature to 375 or so and even walleye only take a few minutes per side. They come out nice and crispy without the fat or oil. TC

I have used this recipe for as long as I can remember....
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn starch
2 Tsp. baking powder
1 Tsp. baking soda
2 Tsp. salt or what you like...
1 cup of room temp. water or leftover beer. LOL...
! batch will do also do 20 shrimp...31-40 count
12 whole mushrooms..
20 onion rings that you cut yourself
375 F. Deep Fry....I find them nice and crisp.....ditto on Trevor's post...👍👍
Oh ,,,by the way I hope to use this batter on some fish this year....

Taylors one step breading. Great baked or fried. Just coat, nothing else needed. Nice light coating, also great on chicken.

Love the stuff, but that's all I was using for ages so I've been changing things up.

Sounds like I'm not alone in looking for change. 🌻

I have used this recipe for as long as I can remember....
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup corn starch
2 Tsp. baking powder
1 Tsp. baking soda
2 Tsp. salt or what you like...
1 cup of room temp. water or leftover beer. LOL...
! batch will do also do 20 shrimp...31-40 count
12 whole mushrooms..
20 onion rings that you cut yourself
375 F. Deep Fry....I find them nice and crisp.....ditto on Trevor's post...👍👍
Oh ,,,by the way I hope to use this batter on some fish this year....
looks like a winner----thanks(y):)

I've always preferred egg and breadcrumbs over batter.Just found it too heavy and greasy.
The trick to prevent that is to blanche it off first, (until it just starts to float then flip it let it cook for another minute ) then I take it out of the oil and let it sit on a drip rack, then I put it back in to finish just before I'm ready to serve. Crispy and light every time. (unless your oil temps aren't correct. I do mine in oil heated up to 320F according to my deep fryer. All totaled it takes 8-12 minutes cooking time depending on the size and quantity of fish I'm doing at any given time.)

The trick to prevent that is to blanche it off first, (until it just starts to float then flip it let it cook for another minute ) then I take it out of the oil and let it sit on a drip rack, then I put it back in to finish just before I'm ready to serve. Crispy and light every time. (unless your oil temps aren't correct. I do mine in oil heated up to 320F according to my deep fryer. All totaled it takes 8-12 minutes cooking time depending on the size and quantity of fish I'm doing at any given time.)
I'll try that.

D9CCBF50-7459-45F1-B477-CF58EF3D0B59.png
Pickerel with this floor ,half cook bacon cube fish 1” square and mix floor using beer ,it’s amazing

Attachments

• E5E5AADB-6C23-4050-8114-560AA6240BB3.png
    E5E5AADB-6C23-4050-8114-560AA6240BB3.png
    2 MB · Views: 60
  • 893A5E6C-E623-4935-8FF8-FBB4D00B7D55.png
    893A5E6C-E623-4935-8FF8-FBB4D00B7D55.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 61
  • D75B49AA-C6D2-43FB-8F1A-16052A92E525.jpeg
    D75B49AA-C6D2-43FB-8F1A-16052A92E525.jpeg
    196.3 KB · Views: 63
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks