bass this morning ec5

Kmac

Headed out this morning at about 715 and anchored at ec5 and it was non stop until the storm was approaching about 845. I saw the first flash in the distance and flew back to my cottage and was in the boathouse just as the sorm hit. Easily caught over 30 bass with at least 10 over 17 inches. Was out opening day with two buddies and caught over a hundred drifting the flats. Then I was out 4 days later and didn't catch a thing. Maybe the aspproacing storm brought them in but it was in my top 10 bass fishing mornings. Beating the storm added to the enjoyment. Gulp leeches work great.
Kmac

Sounds like a damn good day on the water Kmac. Just wondering how you rigged up the gulp leeches? I tried live leeches on tuesday but no luck, thought maybe my presentation was wrong. I have used gulp products in the past on a 1/4oz jig for bass with excellent luck but no dice the other day. Sorry Gdawg guess we were wondering the same thing! :D

I was using 3 inch leech with a small hook and a splt shot about 18 inches from the hook. I changed to 5 inch leech and started getting big ones. Lost some big ones and broke the line twice. I was anchored in about 11 feet of water.
Kmac

Kmac....Great morning you had.....I went out after the storm by myself,,after stopping at Rotton Ronnies a guy in there told me same story...That he was out before the storm & slaughtered them....So out I went & got my limit in no time,,did the catch & release thing after that & at 15...& 1 nice perch, decided it was time to look for perch...no luck with that at Pottahawk,,got 3... went back,on way in & had to stop & try trooling,,got 1 more.. what a great day for smallies...lots of boats getting lots of fish....

If Cans r flyin,they will b dyin...

Was out there too, 7 till 9 when storm chased us off the water, drifting by EC 5 to the east, each time the 3 of us would get 4 or 5 with each drift. Crazy good fishing, also my best bass fishing day. we caught 60 to 70 in that time using minnows on a jig with a willow leaf.

What do you guys mean when you refer to an EC? First it was EC10 for perch and now EC 5 for bass. Are they some sort of markers?

Yes they are channel markers Rachel. EC 10 is the end of channel marker ( big concrete marker) Green and red ones mark the channel out of the innerbay past Turkey Point sandbar
Don

I have been using 3" Gulp Alive leeches for a few years now when fishing early season SMB in the bay and have had great success. I have found the most successful approach to be a 3" on a drop-shot 6-18" off bottom depending on conditions. I have also experimented with the black 5" Gulp Wacky Crawler and black 5" Gulp Sinking Minnow. Wacky Crawler is the more productive of the two for me but not as good as the leeches.
Having said all that, I fished the channel from 19:30 - 21:00 on Canada Day and I could not get bit on the leech. I was glad I stopped for a scoop of shiners in St. Williams "just in case" before heading out because as soon as I decided to switch and put one one the drop-shot, the action was non-stop.

WormWiggler
It's not how deep you fish, it's how you WIGGLE YOUR WORM!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks