Bass questions

raptorwin

Hey guys!

This forum has been an incredible community. Thanks for the constant posts , it's nice to read of other people's success even if I can't get out.

Just wanted to pick some of your brains regarding smallmouth fishing this time of the year. I don't have a huge boat so I can't run to the offshore shoals , so I tend to stick to the north shore. I see people having incredible days and of course Lake Erie is a phenomenal SMB fishery. I've caught some here and there but I can't seem to put together a pattern. Any tips on what I should be looking for in terms of depth/ structure?

Thanks!

All I've learned is there isn't any real consistency. One day they're here the other they're there. Use your knowledge, electronics and your gut to decide where to fish. Sometime you find them, sometimes you don't.

A few weeks ago I fished one place and got skunked. Went back a week later and got 12 including a 3.2lbs smallie. Both days clear blue skies, similar wind, temps, you name it.

Only difference was the first time we brought friends who were unimpresseed and the second time I was wearing my lucky BPS tshirt.

I saw a video smallmouth fishing last week, was catching them at bluff bar

Where on the north shore are you looking? They can pop up anywhere but this time of year especially I think you're better off for size and numbers to head East of Nanticoke - better structure with closer access to deep water (25 ft +). LP outer bay is a sandbox and hard(er) to locate concentrations of good fish this time of year IMO (I'm sure someone can prove me wrong, I'm all ears :D). Places like bluffs will hold fish but if they're not playing ball, nearby "plan b" options are limited...?

I would head east and start by finding major points and shoals that stab out into deep water - bass "highways" between spawning areas and late fall/winter areas. Once you're situated on or near a "macro" structure (point/shoal) use your electronics and eyes to find sweet spots that will concentrate fish - boulders, ridges, sand/rock transitions, drop-offs. Eventually you'll have a milk run of spots that will speed up your search.

Depth can be all over the place but I think proximity to deep water is important this time of year. I prefer fishing shallow with horizontal presentations so that's normally where I start. Long casts = more and bigger fish when fishing shallow IMO. Keep moving if you're not catching.

Where on the north shore are you looking? They can pop up anywhere but this time of year especially I think you're better off for size and numbers to head East of Nanticoke - better structure with closer access to deep water (25 ft +). LP outer bay is a sandbox and hard(er) to locate concentrations of good fish this time of year IMO (I'm sure someone can prove me wrong, I'm all ears :D). Places like bluffs will hold fish but if they're not playing ball, nearby "plan b" options are limited...?

I would head east and start by finding major points and shoals that stab out into deep water - bass "highways" between spawning areas and late fall/winter areas. Once you're situated on or near a "macro" structure (point/shoal) use your electronics and eyes to find sweet spots that will concentrate fish - boulders, ridges, sand/rock transitions, drop-offs. Eventually you'll have a milk run of spots that will speed up your search.

Depth can be all over the place but I think proximity to deep water is important this time of year. I prefer fishing shallow with horizontal presentations so that's normally where I start. Long casts = more and bigger fish when fishing shallow IMO. Keep moving if you're not catching.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm usually going out of Dover since it's one of the rare places with a decent ramp. Do you think Nanticoke would be a good bet even if I were not to make the drive out to the nanticoke shoal ( fish near the shore/ generating station)?

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm usually going out of Dover since it's one of the rare places with a decent ramp. Do you think Nanticoke would be a good bet even if I were not to make the drive out to the nanticoke shoal ( fish near the shore/ generating station)?

Yep, for sure there are fish to be had in that general area. I wouldn't focus too much on the actual shoreline, though. Would suggest looking at a contour map picking out likely areas in different depths before you head out, then on the water it's a matter of finding the sweet spots. Tons of structure to pick apart from where you're talking about and heading east:
a6a.jpg

(https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/greatlakes/lakeerie_cdrom/images/a6a.jpg)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks