BASS LENGTH TO WEIGHT CONVERSION CHARTS ( IN-FISHERMAN)

basswright

Seems to be some confusion on this! Check out two conversion charts. One is from IN-FISHERMAN and the other is GOHER BASS FISHING.

Id say if anyone knows its the Linder boys from Infisherman. They do have over 50 years in the industry!

Attachments

• bass%20paper%20length%20scale.jpg
    bass%20paper%20length%20scale.jpg
    435.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Fish_Length_to_Weight_Conversion_Chart.jpg
    Fish_Length_to_Weight_Conversion_Chart.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 34
Boy those are pretty general.
I am sure we have all caught a 16-18 incher shaped like a football and one like a torpedo. Those two won't weight nearly the same.
I had one that did length girth and another,maybe width. It was accurate but you needed a cray computer to figure it out.

Lindners are not with infisherman and have not been for many years. Second you can't tell a fish simply by length, so many factors such as girth need to be considered. The formula is length x (Girth x Girth)/800
The attach picture of a bass was 6lbs 13 oz measured on a digital scale
IMG_20140129_104808_343.jpg

General yes but as a average rule of thumb they are reliable. A 19" will weight about four pounds with average girth as seen above. The largemouth shown above is only about 20" long but I believe it weight close to 6 lbs. There is a actual formula for this I believe its girth x length divided by 1600. But for 90 % of the time these charts are accurate to a few Oz. I got two 20 in smallies over the weekend and they were both shy of 5 lbs. Long and lean.

There is no confusion, just those of us that weigh our fish on a regular basis and have come to the conclusion that there is just not enough consistency among length/weight estimates to call it a standard. Some people just like empirical evidence instead of estimates and generalities that don't account for all factors involved.
Heck, a 5 lb Largemouth can swing it's weight by a pound if it just ate a big meal...

The chart or charts give general guidelines. No one said they are 100% accurate or a standard. Its a genaral rule of thumb that works 95 % of the time in my opinion. For the most part they are reliable withen a few Oz. For us that bass fish alot we have come to know a average girth on either a smallie or largemouth looks like. Ive seen footballs and ive seen skinny fish but there is a average. I do weigh my fish sometimes and find the digital scales differ as much as the charts! Ive seen Berkley and Rapala scales give as much as 4Oz differnace on the same fish at the same time. Unless the bass is on a certified scale its irrelevant. If you stick by rule of thumb you will be pretty safe is estimating the bass weight there are rare exceptions like a big meal ( half pound bluegill or rock bass ) or the other extreme sick and unhealthy fish that doesnt eat well.

I guess if I would just measure my fish I would have 5-6 lb ers.:D:D:D. Basswright are you still at it with these charts? Who are you trying to convince that you are catching 5lb bass us or yourself. Those charts are so random. Its fine that you wanna think that you are catching 5lb ers but don't post pics of 3lb ers that all us bass guys on here know are not 5 lbs and try and convince us they are. I like to see pics and hear about good days of fishing but this 5-6lb bass thing has got to stop!! I use a $40 Rapala scale and it works fine. Its close enough for us average fisherman to determine the weight of a bass in my mind. Buy a decent scale throw the charts away and lets see some pics of your trips out with a little clearer accuracy. Final word I'm out on this topic!!!

Last edited:
I'm puzzled as to how a piece of paper full of numbers can tell me how much my fish weighs??? As spilliard stated unless you have a scale and weigh the fish boasting about a 5-6lb bass is only making yourself look bad. Spilliard atleast posts pics and HONEST weights according to his rapala scale. Have you ever entered a tournament and went to the "weigh In" to have the inspector grab a tape measure and send you on your way?

Hahaha didn't know this was a photo contest! The smallie below was entered in a fishing tournament and weighed. 21" long and just north of 5 lbs. Caught 2 weeks ago in bay. Currently sits 3 rd in derby. Not into posting. Personal pics on the Web sorry. Seen and caught bigger bass in bay this year. With all do respect guys these rule of thumb charts are fairy accurate if you want a quick measurements and quick release. I'll post tournament results once it wraps up in a week. Think you guys will be surprised of the big bass roaming erie!

Attachments

• imagejpeg_3(3).jpg
    imagejpeg_3(3).jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
Haha a bass entered in a season long derby(that started June 1? hmm bass season opens later than that??) for a work company AND they use length not weight to determine the winner. HAHAHAHA. NO 'official weight' on that 4lb (at best) dead smallie. You just keep making yourself look silly everytime you post. Keep those personal pics of the bottom of your boat with a bass on it coming!

I caught two nice 18 inch bass in a local reservoir tonight. Both well fed, chunky and with good muscle tone. The flesh around their mouth was also thick and opaque, a good sign of a well fed healthy fish.
Any guesses on their weights?

2.82 and 2.91.
PS we all know how many big bass there are. Many of us catch them/watch them weighed in tourney's all summer. Consistent or not, those charts grossly overestimate weight most of the time.

Hey spillard1 please show us. A 21 " large or smallie you got this season.!!! You up for a little friendly bass challenge?? I'll put up. Prize from this derby ( $500 value) to your $450 cash!! One day on erie 5 fish limit length or weight don't matter to me. Winner takes all! You up for it????

Wow you just won't stop til you're the hero eh? Well that just sounds ridiculous. I've never once said you can't catch fish. I just don't agree with the way you assume your fish are much bigger according to those crazy charts. You obviously can catch them we've seen the pics. You've seen my biggest for the season, I posted it last time a 4lb 9oz largie. That's all I got. Not sure bout length cause I never measure them. I've got quite a few 3's this year and countless 2's.I wouldn't mind a friendly challenge one day on the bay how ever there will be no money involved. Here's a better idea. Why don't you take your 500 and enter the London Children's Hospital Charity Bass tournament Sept 14 outta Turkey Point Marina and put that money towards pledges. We've currently collected 350 and counting. We'll see you there. That way you can get a taste of a real tourny with real weights (according to your charts you should be able to put 25-28lbs in for a five fish limit) and I would love to see that. Instead you'll weigh 15-16 like everyone else. As much as 20 has won before but the average is quite a bit lower.

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks