Baitcasting reels with braid/florou leaders

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
On my trolling rods and reels I use braid with approx. 50-60' of floroucarbon as a leader.

My 2 baitcasters are spooled with braid only. Does anyone run a short lead of florou ? or am I looking for trouble with a nasty birds nest.

I use a braid with about a 2' fluro leader on my baitcasters for bass fishing or pike. It works great but you have to try and keep your uni knot as small as possible. If any of the bait caster rods have the newer micro eyes then knot will catch on them much easier.

I have one of my baitcasters lined with 20 lb.braid with a three foot leader of 20 lb. flouro.It's a good set up for using rubber baits and pitching top water frogs.I think a lot of fishermen use flouro leaders on most of their rods.The knots are a little tricky to tie though.

I use a fluorocarbon leader an all my levelwind and spin cast reels,the latter spooled with FL crystal.on the spin cast I tie a four foot leader so as to not catch the tip guide on casting.but with bait casters I tie sometimes ten feet, it slides right under the thumb and out the guides,nev had a problem over the years.this also helps when retying allot,your leader lasts allot longer before replacing!

For trolling rods I use 100% Fluorocarbon Abrazx
For casting I use a Fluorocarbon leader. Usually 3 to 4 feet if using braid line but I still use a lot of mono for casting with shorter fluoro leaders for toothy fish. Mono floats and changes your presentation. It makes a big difference for some presentations and the fact that it stretches can also make a huge difference in the number you land.
with spinning rods I'm using mostly braid with 3 to 4 foot fluoro leaders.
My favourite fluorocarbon leader material is Seaguar Brand. Pretty tough to beat.
I'll try that GT knot.

other than cost what is the advantage of using braid and then a fluorocarbon leader....adding more knots just runs the risk of more knots breaking?

I run a leader long enough it will not get back into the reel. Try this knot. And finish it of with a drop of Gorilla Glue cyanocrylate. http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/alberto-knot/ http://www.gorillatough.com/gorilla-super-glue This is a small knot but I have not had success in tying it.
That's a great video; thanks for sharing!

Has anyone tried using heat shrink tube to cover knots? Seems to me it might enclose the knot tightly. I think it might fill in sharp edges better than anything else. And PTFE (aka Teflon?) is wicked slippery, too.

Research FG knot. once you get it, it is fantastic and small. I also use it with 20lb braid to a 20 lb flouro leader on my spinning reels. Make the leader short enough that it doesn't wind into the spool.

The heat to shrink the tube may ruin the line connection. What about liquid electrical tape?

Learn the Albright, tie it tight. Dab of superglue and roll it on some smooth cardboard to create a smooth transition over the knot.

@Ken the advantage of the fluoro leader has landed more fish. I use 6 rods with 50lb braid, 2 are red, 2 are yellow and 2 are green on the planer boards. The red and yellow has 50-60' of fluoro and nothing on the green. Maybe its a visual thing that the fish can see it or maybe its a different lure action. I can't explain it, other than its a proven fact on my boat.....eh @stomp. This weekend the green braid will have fluoro installed on them.
As for knot breakage, I join them together with the blood knot and have never had issues.

Learn the Albright, tie it tight. Dab of superglue and roll it on some smooth cardboard to create a smooth transition over the knot.
Sounds easy enough. I just have an aversion to superglue. I don't know how many tubes I've thrown away due to drying up, plugged by drying out in the nozzle, etc.

Or maybe more that I can't seem to avoid getting it on my fingers, and then I stick myself to something, everything other than the parts I'm trying to use. Samething happens with caulking, silicone sealant, epoxies... maybe it's just me (n)

all I run now is braid, spinning/baitcasting...my spinning reels I tie 8-10 feet flouro for dropshotting, once you feel the sensitivity of braid its hard to even throw mono, feels like you are fishing with elastic band line....

Sounds easy enough. I just have an aversion to superglue. I don't know how many tubes I've thrown away due to drying up, plugged by drying out in the nozzle, etc.

Or maybe more that I can't seem to avoid getting it on my fingers, and then I stick myself to something, everything other than the parts I'm trying to use. Samething happens with caulking, silicone sealant, epoxies... maybe it's just me (n)
Yeah, I have those OH $H!T moments where your fingers start to bond, all the time. Use it enough though, and you get a pretty safe routine down. Also, use less than you think you need. You can always reapply to try and smooth out the knot. I buy the 3 pack, keep them in the plastic tubes them come in and mark the top of the one I have open, you always have two unopened backups should it dry out. Use it often enough, (by all rights, should retie each trip) and you'll go through enough to keep it fresh. Never hurts to add a dab to your lure knot as well. Flouro knots can be tricky and I don't like to overtighten, so glue eases some anxiety over that issue.
When you get to the last tube, buy another three pack. Keep them all in the same pocket or compartment so you don't leave home without it.

Jim, I always use a piece of flouro tied with a double uni knot. anywhere from 10" to 25' on my lead core.

Blastr

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks