Bait Island

wojo

I've wondered about this island since I was a kid , I can't find any information about it on the web and I can't seem to find anybody that knows anything about it, when was it built? who owns it? how do they(who owns it)get on and off (i've never seen a boat or even a dock there), why was it built?
Does anybody have any information?
Dave

At one point I believe Don Proctor was part owner and the people that own Fin and Feather.Not a 100% sure. I've seen boats there in the summmer and fall. Guys hunt in the fall and the do post it. I'm glad they have a ****ter outside it comes in handy.Not sure if they talk about the island in the book lore and legends of long point

:Dwas this at one time refered to as white fish bar ?????????? will get out the old map and see and i mean old hahahhah ..;:D

I think Whitefish Bar Island is the "official" name. My Dad told me that they used to sell bait from the island, hence the name. He said that in his earliest visits to the Bay, the weedline would stretch right out to the "Bait Island"; makes one think about how close those big cruisers are to bottom when they cut on the inside.

Last time I heard that some doctors owned it. Apparently the ownership includes a mile around it. I don't think they try to enforce it like Long Point Company does. Big debate who owns the water.

There used to be quite a large marsh around it when I was a kid complete with pond in the middle on the east side They sold bait from there hense "bait Island" It is a hunting cliub with 7 members now I think from Aymer and Simcoe areas. A large barge was sunk on the west side to enlarge it, and piling was installed to keep it from disappearing during high water times. The shack was replaced with a the current building in the seventies I think. Some original whitefish bar members were Harvey Ferris, Jack Rice, and Albert Quait and Dr Bill Cresswell

Thanks for the info,all the charts and maps i've looked at all say "white fish bar island" as well, sounds like it might be owned by the Turkey Point Company

I worked on the island for Floyd Hellmer when i was a kid , I fish for minnows and sold them helped him on the island. At that time a man named Dr Streets from Erie PA owned it , There was about 15 to 20 acres of marsh there ,but the original deed had more than a hundred acres of land ,
This was obout 60 years ago. Ferris owned it later. It was a great way to spend the summer for a kid and I earned 10 dollars a week . Floyd Hellmer was the keeper for Mr. Streets

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks