Bait Casters?

Bob Dube

Looking to purchase a new bait caster any suggestions for a quality and not bend over backwards baitcaster reel!

Baitcaster quality is important because of the breaking systems on the spool. Good quality in these brakes gives you better adjustment which in turn helps to prevent the dreaded "nesting" or tangling when the spool is allowed to spin faster than the speed that your lure is going out.I would recommend something in the 150-250 $ range.

I am also thinking of getting some baitcasters for the boat. I am looking at the Okuma 350 low profile line counter reel, thinking it would be great for trolling as well as casting especially for Muskie on Lake St. Clair. These reels are about $200.00 ea. Anyone have any experience with this reel, I think it's only been out a couple of years?

Quantum - Smoke, EXO or Tour Exo.
Shimano Curado - From Japan not Taiwan
Daiwa - Tatula

All between $100-$250
Personally have all of these reels.
The Quantums are used for crankbaits, spinnerbaits and jerkbaits(casting baits)
I use the Shimano for frogs/flipping/Float fishing rivers
I use the Daiwa for floating big waters (8.1:1 Ratio) and Buzz baits.

I would suggest going to see Woodstock. Many works and customers would be happy help with any questions

Some great discussions here I had some thoughts on the Abu Garcia Revo and the Shimano Curado also the Diawa Tatula all seem to be very popular!!

I currently have a Shimano Cuirus but find it very temperamental at best. Want something a little better quality!!

I have a few older Abu Ambassador bait casters (round profile) and a few Quantum low profile bait casters. I use the Abu's for heavy lures (musky) and the Quantums for all other applications. It is really a personal choice on the style of real you choose. As others have said don't cheep out. With bait casters you get what you pay for. The last Quantum I bought cost around $150.00 on sale. The boys at Angling Outfiters will set you up

i have over 10 baitcasting reels (not including trolling reels) ranging from $180 to over $500 and I believe that the Daiwa Tatula is the best thing going for the money. It comes in a variety of sizes and gear rations to suit almost any application from Bass to Muskie.

PM me and I'd be happy to help once I know the application you have in mind for it.

If you want to spend more, the Shimano Chronarch Ci4 is awesome. I really hate going back the the Tatula after using it but then again, its 2x the price. I also have a Tatula type R on my flippin stick. Just wonderful but its a high gear ratio.

IMHO, quatum low profile baitcaster suck. Okuma is not much better unless you're spending north of $300 so why not get Shimano, Abu, or Daiwa at that price.. If for nothing else but resale value. (but the do kick a$$).

Abu Garcia Ambassadeur paired with a Kmart sportsfisher pole is the way to go! Did I just date myself? (n)IMG_20161024_233731.jpg

If you spend a little more you are in the Shimano Calcutta range,great reels,bullet proof,I have 2 and love them,they get used before my revo or curado.

Agree with @bowslayer2 the Shimano Calcutta series are absolute proven winners, especially the Calcutta Conquest.

But if you prefer low profile baitcasters over the round these are definitely 2 of the best. However like the Conquest these are over $500 higher end reels but like the old saying "you get what you pay for."

SHIMANO METANIUM MGL
shimano_16metaniummgl.jpg

DIAWA STEEZE SV TW
Daiwa-STEEZ-SV-TW-1016SV-SH-Baitcasting-NEW-_1.jpg

Attachments

• ZLNSV1016H.png
    ZLNSV1016H.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 1
I have a couple.

The Daiwa Tatuala - Casts a mile (love the TWS casting system), good breaking system, can handle heavy and light line easily (I currently have 8lb fluoro spooled up on it, and have no backlash issues)

The Simano Casitas is my other one - Very good breaking system (shimano is probably the best for the fine tune breaking), doesn't cast as far as the tatula, but is no slouch, and it is a small sized reel, which is great if you do a lot of flipping structure due to it being a bit more comfortable and light weight.

To be honest though, try out a few in your hands, and see which is most comfortable. You will likely be putting in a lot of hours with it, and comfort/ergonomics has a lot to reel performance from person to person.

it makes a huge difference on what your using it for, bass or muskie. do you need a fast or slow retrieve.big muskie lures will destroy a bass reel fast, to small of gears. PT iron for the $$$ is great. shimano calcutta 400 for the muskie.

Blastr

Thanks everyone for the input I went today to Angling Outfitters and bought a Quantum Smoke HD and a Lew's Custom Speed Stick. Now to learn to use it properly!! Now to get some time to head to the local watering hole to practice.

k, Not to get you more confused as I agree with many of the suggestions on the board. I will say that if this is your first bait caster, and you want a good combo for all around fishing, consider Lews. I know these are tough to buy in stores but Angling Sports in London and Brad Arnold at 5/0 Sports both carry them. GREAT Combo's for the price, I have the Mach 1 and recently purchased the Mach 2.....love them both and under $250 for the rod/reel combo. PM me if you need any more details.

I also agree, spend a little more, the better the set up is, the less frustration you will have.

Sounds like Angling Outfitters looked after you. The first time you try your outfit, I suggest you hold your rod at waist hight and tighten your free spool so it doesn't overrun when you let you lure drop from the rod tip. You won't cast very far at the start but it will help with overrun ( backlash). After you get use to casting you can loosen the free spool to increase casting distance

The very first reel I purchased was an Abu Garcia Ambassador 5000. Used it once and it nested. Put it back in it's case and never took it out since...like close to 45 years ago. If anyone collects those things, pm me.

Back