bacon on the corner

paddle maker you state your a "volunteer firefighter".
Is this really true?
Now you've hit my pet peeve.
Any "volunteer firefighter" I've meet from Southern Ontario is in no way a volunteer but a on-call part-time employee.
Unless you receive no financial compensation your not a volunteer. Any "volunteer firefighter" I've talked to admits to receiving pay. Different services use different ways to divide the pay but they get paid.
When the term "volunteer firefighter" is used many of the general public believe they are true volunteers and have no idea they get paid for their services. And many "volunteer firefighters" play on this and never volunteer the fact they get paid.
Yes the service they provide is vital but in most cases it far from a volunteer service.
This comes from someone who has spent a great many hours actually volunteering in the community.
Your right on the pay thing but we volunteer to carry a fire pager (24/7) and volunteer respond to a call when paged out. If we then choose to accept that call we are then paid employees and have to follow our emplyers SOG's. We also volunteer as members of the Fire Department to do fund raisers for varies thing for our department and donate to the community. I hope this explains were the "volunteer fighter" comes from

I hope this explains were the "volunteer fighter" comes from
Actually the term comes from when the "volunteer firefighters" were true volunteers with out financial compensation.
Don't get me wrong as I believe these so called "volunteer firefighters" do provide an excellent service to their community but by definition they are not volunteers but part-time on call employee's.
Many of these firefighters even play off the term volunteer because in many cases the general public does not know they are being paid for their services.
Actually I have heard of some true volunteer fire departments but they are very rare and maybe non existent in this part of Ontario.

Why do we have volunteer fire fighters, where every time you show up you risk your life. But our police feel entitled to exorbitant salaries.

Probably because dealing with a car accident or fire is somewhat different than enforcing the law and the resulting dangers?

As for police feeling they're entitled to their $50,000-%70,000 annual salaries with higher ups making much more, why shouldn't they get paid more? Many people with a grade 12 or less education work in construction and make the low end of that range annually and they get 2-3 months off in the winter. Cops, firemen, and doctors should all make more than they do when you consider what their jobs entail. That said, I find it amusing when people start talking about how they would do a better job commanding the police when they'd have no clue where to start if thrown into the commanding role.

In the past I thought like you and would warn people about where the cops were. However, since having our first child almost two years ago I now view the world in a different way. Now I'd be the guy reporting a drunk rather than warning one.

They can earn there raise it doesn't take 4. To stop people who are stopping at a sign anyway. They are only here to kill the only real popular activity this small town has. It is simply a show of force and intimidation. But I sure you are happy to be paying higher property tax so they can make 7% more. Technically it is illegal to stop people unless they are obviously breaking the law, (driving on the wrong side of road speeding, or talking on a cell phone for example). Stopping people to just check is against the law, and against the Canadian charter of rights and freedoms, but proper law enforcement takes work it is easier to harrass every person who is driving home from church. You can give up your rights and defend strong-arm illegal tactics in the name of preventing one accident. I prefer to help people avoid having their right violated by tyrants with no true respect for the people and law they are paid to up hold.

Just like what icefisherman says (y)

Didn't want to get drawn into this kind of a discussion as it is the type the fishing forums discuss in slow fishing times.
But I have read so many unreasonable comments that couldn't resist...

Paddle maker you make a point to blame the police as to where they are while doing their jobs and you feel you are being violated:banghead:.

Do you feel the same about Canada Customs or US Customs when crossing the border or even yet coming back into Canada over your personal exemption. These Officers have more power than your local police and they don't care who you are. Do feel like you are being violated. It seems you have an issue with people with authority.

Dedman v. The Queen 1985. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 4 to 3 that a RIDE program does not violate the Charter of Rights.

Oh my, as HTHM once said " Hey there's a can of worms, let's open it and see what happens?".

There is so much I could comment on but won't because it wouldn't matter. Like the fact that more construction workers in Ontario have fatal accidents annually than all the Police and Firefighter combined in all of Canada in 10 years. So statistically who's job is more hazardous?

I have worked construction for a little over 10 years now and the main reason for fatal and non fatal injuries on a job sight is lack of training and knowing. Most of the time it is young adults coming out of high school with little no no construction background that get hurt because they didn't know any better due to the lack of training the company offered so don't give us the speel of construction jobs are more dangerous than policing .
I work for a very large pipeline company that contracts out for cities and our training is absolutely over the top and we sit threw training for weeks on end and still it seems to happen young adults fresh out of high school come into the industry thinking they are going to change the world and work there buts off until they get hurt . one 20 year old 5 the day on the job lost a finger because he wasn't paying attention to what he was doing and avoiding using the gaurd on a winch rapped his finger and took it off. And experienced guy wouldn't have done something like that.

Its comes down to that . police are highly trained people that go towards danger day in and day out a lot of what us citizens don't here about . all we see if them out doing a ride program or so called harrasing the community. I would rather see them out and about than sitting at the coffee shop .

Wow, such a stir over some cops catching drunks coming off the ice, we know there is lots, just have a DD guys. And let the cops do their job and catch the dumb ones. They are there to catch idiots, and help others.

People need to chill.

P.M.
I disagree with allot of your post, but you do know how to get all the bored fisher-people chatting.
You mentioned crime rate's in the St Williams area, do you or other's see them worse than any where else? Reason for asking is I have been shopping for north shore Eire rural property's forever. Best prices seem to be south to the lake, Stratfordville. Vienna, Burrwell, Bruce area?
Are B&E's that much more prevalent there, or the same as every where else?
Not being prejudice, have been B&E'd here in the Woodstock area a couple of yrs ago

Can't miss I have been here my whole life. I have had my truck broke into only 3 times first time I jumped in with the guy and detained him for over an hour until the cops came from simcoe. The next time the only reason I know they broke in is they left some stuff behind that I returned to y naibor. The last time they got a bunch of devotional books and my mother in laws coat. I found coat in ditch a little down the road. I don't know about other places, but I feel pretty safe here. The crime is mostly stoner kids. And their parents cooking meth, and growing weed.

i would recommend living here its nice and relatively affordable. Work can be hard to come by but that's small town Ontario.

This whole thread is way off topic of a FISHING site.
If you dislike cops this much post a letter to editor of your local paper. I don't think this is the place for it

I don't know, I am at a show in Monroe Michigan this weekend(y)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks