Off Topic Auto pilot

Way She Goes

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Seeing that we haven't been able to vacation. I am thinking about a major upgrade for my old boat. I am trying to justify sinking around $3500. for a cable steer auto pilot. The boat is a1987 in great shape new motor and outdrive recently and only insure it for $5000 boat and trailer. Looking for thoughts. Thinking Simrad system.

I put in that exact setup you’re looking at last year. The navico cable steer package (parent company of both simrad and lowrance so it’s compatible with both) along with a simrad Go 9 to run the autopilot. I highly recommend it and it’s worth the price. Steers better than any human and is like having an extra body on board every trip. Feel free to PM me with any questions or specifics. One thing to watch out for is even if you’re boat is cable steered if it is rack and pinion (which mine was) you will need to convert that to make it compatible

Raymarine has a unit that is electrical driven and mounts under the steering wheel. It is based on the EV100 controller but there is no hydraulics, just a power unit for the steering wheel. I installed it on my 17ft center console and it came with my current 23ft walkaround. works great. It cost around $2000. Check with a dealer.

Not sure how technical you are but if you are looking for a budget alternative that works just as good or better than the consumer AP's check this out

You can even build your own with charts etc using https://openmarine.net/openplotter

This year I installed a linear actuator to steer my kicker motor, it works perfectly fine.

I have also developed a way for my main motor and my kicker motor to turn together without any tie bars or steering cables, it all happens over "fly-by-wire"

In addition to all this, I also purchased an Electric trolling motor this year, this also works very well as an Autopilot solution, in fact in windy conditions I think the MinnKota does a better job at keep the bow into the wind. So if you are spending $3000+ you could spend it on an electric and get the added benefit of spot lock and all the other cool things that come with it....

There are a lot of options, and I have made it my hobby to explore them... I have all these options on my boat...

Reactions: DST
lol Looks like I shut down that thread.... :(

Sorry rastam4n . I got a inboard outboard. Going to have Robert Jones marine put a cable steer and G07 Simrad 3 in1 . In the boat . Pulled the pin. Happy Father's Day. To me.

Way She Goes, I have the same set up Inboard/Outboard. I also pulled the pin a few weeks ago but went with the Elite FS 9. Just waiting to get it installed. Happy Father's Day and Merry Christmas. LOL

I have also developed a way for my main motor and my kicker motor to turn together without any tie bars or steering cables, it all happens over "fly-by-wire"
That's pretty cool but why not just use a tie bar?

I use the Ulterra for steering too it's great. Just point it at a direction, sit back and relax.

I use the Ulterra for steering too it's great. Just point it at a direction, sit back and relax.
You got it @Wildfire 👍, I run same set up , linked kicker to main , with at helm controls, and if you want to micro adjust speed the ulterra does a great job at the palm of your hand from anywhere in the boat

I have an Etec with Dps, so the tie bar has to go on the back of the motors and it just doesn’t work well fo me. Can’t put it on, on the water and I can’t tilt one motor up and the other down. Just the way my boat is setup so I developed a better solution.

We the North, sorry for the late response, yes I have hydraulic steering. The drive unit for the Raymarine is a flat shaped drive motor that mounts on the spindle where you steering wheel mounts. It raises the wheel and inch or so. I will try to get the name if it tomorrow when I am in the boat.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks