atv travel on the bay

GRIZZLY

hi guys I was just wondering how the bay is for atv travel or is the snow to deep ?
I was thinking of heading down this week .

Travel on an ATV is possible. Stick to the existing trails and you will be OK. If you are pulling an ice hut or heading to unchartered areas things could be a little difficult.

I can only speak about St Williams. I went out today and it was tough going. Snow is getting to point that its almost too deep. Like I mentioned in a previous post the snow is semi solid. Meaning that you can float on top of it if lightweight and you keep your speed up. But once you slow a bit or start to break though the snow you can be screwed. Wheels start spinning and next thing you're bellied on the snow.

New thing today was all the slush. I popped my three holes in and the water shot up the holes by about 4". It would seem that all that snow on top is weighing/pressing the ice down. As soon as you puncture the ice, water comes up. And then the snow starts wicking the water and slush abounds. I was surprised how far the water/slush wicked from huts/holes.

So you want to stay on packed down trails to get around. But these trails often run near huts that now are making slush. Kind of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks