Asian Carp

2Gun

Just watched a documentary on Asian Carp that was on Shaw satellite--National Geographic--WILD Ch.552.They only way to describe this is unbelievable. If you haven't see this, it's worth the watch.

The program 16X9 had a segment on the Asian Carp that aired Friday night. Sometimes I wonder how the multicultural aspects of our society will impact our environment. These fish are traditionally used in Asian cuisine and are preferably purchased live and that presents the biggest risk to our lakes. I have no problem with them being sold in markets but not live.

If the authorities have any chance at removing the threat of these fish invading our lakes and rivers it has to start with the wholesalers and market operators. If people ask for live ones these businesses will try to meet that demand so the law must be so severe on these people that they will be steadfast and not comply to the demands. One wholesaler shown on the show had been convicted several times for importing live Asian Carp and they had a truck inspected that had the fish on the trailer but they were dead ones on ice.

Zero tolerance if you get caught with these fish live in your store or on your truck you are out of business and your store or truck confiscated and either jail time or a meaningful fine. Unfortunately there are far too few inspectors to enforce the law.

I also watched that episode, and have seen many before that as well, agreed chromeseeker, the penalties must be severe, as these fish will devastate everything that we all know and love, not to mention they breed so fast, by the time they got under control, there wouldnt be a fish in the lake worth catching. Hopefully they never come this far, but the importation of live ones simply shouldnt take place! Look at the gobies in erie. Imagine the asian carp!!

A few years ago I watched a news report from Chicago how the DNR there was poisoning a canal.These carp were more resilient than native fish.If these fish take over we better get used to how they taste because there doesn't seem to be a good strategy to eliminate them without taking drastic means.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks