Arizona man billed 20K for firefighting costs/non fishing

Bassassin

We've talked about whether or not services for water rescue etc. should be billed directly to the person(s) rescued if blatantly disregarding the risks. How about getting a bill from the fire chief to not let your house burn to the ground and you didn't set the fire ?

Apparently not everyone has public services like firefighting services included in their taxes. Something new to me.

http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2013/1...for-firefighting-costs-after-house-burns-down

Definitely not unheard of in the US.
In some places fire protection is optional to home owners.
There have been cases of fire departments standing by watching a house burn down, but on stand by in case the fire spreads because the next door neighbour was insured.

Unbelievable. I know there are many places in the north country where you can't even get fire insurance because there isn't a fire fighter within a hundred miles. But a community you have to pay for fire services? Insurance has nothing to do with it. But yes Woodsman your right, if you aren't on the list they could stand by and watch your home burn to the ground. But wouldn't it be logical to put that fire out to ensure that the place next door can't catch fire. Oops I used that word " logical ".

And if they wait for the next door to catch fire wouldn't they need to put the original places fire out so the place that has paid for the service doesn't continue to catch fire?

I'd be willing to pay for fire insurance in Canada if I had the same tax rates as they do in US!!! We pay for it don't kid yourselfs....

I'd be willing to pay for fire insurance in Canada if I had the same tax rates as they do in US!!! We pay for it don't kid yourselfs....

Which is the main reason why so many of us are against the idea of getting handed a bill for rescue fees after the rescuee has paid for those rescue services through high taxes their whole lives...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks