Are casting nets legal in Ontario?

Beamer866

Not being able to fish, and with all this down time, I decided to clean my tackle / garage.
Came across an old casting net in some salt water gear, it was my grandpas from down south.
Just wondering if you can use it here or if I have to wait till I become a snow bird!

Hope this answers your question. From pages 16 &19 of the regs.

Non-Angling Methods of Capturing Fish Ontario and Canadian residents and nonCanadian residents with a valid Recreational Fishing Licence may fish with one dip net, one seine net, one spear or a bow and arrow for the species and during the periods outlined below.

If the Zone is not identified below, then there is no open season for that species. Dip nets: may be no more than 183 cm on each side if angular, or 183 cm in diameter if circular. Seine nets: may be no more than 10 m long and 2 m high. Spears: cannot be possessed on or within 30 m of the edge of any waterbody except when fishing for carp and White Sucker as described on this page. Bow and arrow: includes all longbows. Longbows are considered a firearm under the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act. People fishing with a longbow who handle or discharge it without due care for people or property may be liable to a fine and/ or imprisonment. Any injury requiring treatment by a physician that is caused by the discharge of a firearm while it was possessed for fishing must be reported to a conservation officer.

Baitfish
Limit: 120 (includes those caught or purchased) Only Ontario and Canadian resident anglers may capture baitfish. Only the following methods may be used: • One baitfish trap no more than 51 cm long and 31 cm wide can be used day or night. Baitfish traps must be clearly marked with the licence holder’s name and address. • One dip-net no more than 183 cm on each side if angular or 183 cm across if circular, during daylight hours only (after sunrise and before sunset). • Dip-nets and baitfish traps may not be used in Algonquin Park.

For species of baitfish permitted, see pages 19 and 20 of the regs.

So am I reading this correctly? You can use "Seine nets may be no more than 10 m long and 2 m high." for sport fishing but not to catch bait? Isn't that just a type of drag net?

So am I reading this correctly? You can use "Seine nets may be no more than 10 m long and 2 m high." for sport fishing but not to catch bait? Isn't that just a type of drag net?

Dunno. I just copied and pasted what the regs said and gave the page numbers. I've never seen a "seine net." I have a 4x4 net I bought at Angling Sports that I've used to catch my own minnows off the pier when I need more bait (IF I need more) after I buy a scoop or two at one of the local bait shops in Pt. Bruce or they don't have any bait available. I replaced the black net it came with, with a white one last year and had a lot better luck netting my own bait.

If you're looking for clarification on it, I'd suggest you call the ministry, 519-773-9241 (Aylmer office,) leave a message they'll get back to you OR you can follow the prompts and it'll redirect to the information offices in Peterborough.

I think the seine nets were used for smelt fishing . I remember seeing guys use them back in the 70s when there were lots of smelt around.

I think the seine nets were used for smelt fishing . I remember seeing guys use them back in the 70s when there were lots of smelt around.
We used to have one that was 10' x 3' we would drag the shallows on Lake Huron between the sandbars to catch minnows.... was hoping that was still allowed but seems its a stretch...

We used to have one that was 10' x 3' we would drag the shallows on Lake Huron between the sandbars to catch minnows.... was hoping that was still allowed but seems its a stretch...
Think you would have to have a commercial bait licence to use that now .

We had a 30' X 4' in the late 50's. Had many meals from Turkey Point in front of the Post Office back then. Later a 6' dip net off the OLD pier. Man the GOOD old days, many smoked and pickled smelt also. Oh to get old, but I'm trying to keep active and on the move... Have a good day.... stay safe.... As one friend I lost would say..Keep your worm wet and your tip up...

Cast nets can be used in Ontario for catching baitfish only as long as no larger than 6' in diameter. I have one and have been checked and confirmed with local game wardens.

If you're talking about those nets that are round that you throw out like a frisbee and they have all those lead weights on them, those are illegal for use in Ontario no matter what they are used for. I asked a CO I saw on the Thames Sunday.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks