Anyone into recurve/long/trad bows? Any good places to shop in store?

Octavius Brine

Hi all,

I am new to this but eager to learn and I want to buy my first bow (no big rush here though, need to find somewhere in/near Cambridge to practice too!). Eventually I'd like to hunt small game, maybe deer... any advice or recommendations are welcome, especially where to go to shop in person and find knowledgeable staff. I am a lanky 6'5" and probably need good help in finding something that suits me.

I realize that just starting out I would probably be more successful hunting with a compound, crossbow or gun, but I am most interested in a takedown recurve bow for now. I am into this for the thrill of the chase, time outdoors etc and won't be brokenhearted if I can't take an animal. I am kind of the same way with fishing. I am happy to get out on the water and it is great catching a nice eater, but I've had plenty of excellent days getting skunked too :ROFLMAO:

Any and all advice appreciated!

I'm not a trad bow guy, but hunting small game is a fantastic way to get into the hobby. You can lose a few arrows or tips in stumps, but arrows are for flinging. Getting elevated can help with arrow recovery. A little corn and a tree stand and you'll have a pot of squirrels for supper in no time.

You'll find a wealth of knowledge at the Archer's Nook in London. Shooter's Choice is closer and I've heard great things but I'm partial to my local shop.

I have used the bow shop in Waterloo for over 25 years and they are full of knowledge. I shoot a compound and not traditional so I wouldn’t be any help to you but the oldest son of the old owners of the bow shop runs it now and I have found him to be very knowledgeable and not afraid to take the time to educate you.

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I did some googling before, and all I could find were online shops or places like Cabela's ... and each one of you has a preferred local spot I could drive to in about an hour! Perfect. The photos of the Archers Nook are impressive. Clearly a real pro shop with everything under the sun on hand!

Yes, good point about the small game and thanks for tree stand tip. If I could hunt squirrels in my yard the neighbour would be really glad to have them out of his attic! :p

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I did some googling before, and all I could find were online shops or places like Cabela's ... and each one of you has a preferred local spot I could drive to in about an hour! Perfect. The photos of the Archers Nook are impressive. Clearly a real pro shop with everything under the sun on hand!

Yes, good point about the small game and thanks for tree stand tip. If I could hunt squirrels in my yard the neighbour would be really glad to have them out of his attic! :p
If you get over to shooters choice send an update . Kinda mulling the recurve thing over myself . Talked to the guy at Triggers . Just not sure what brand and weight to use . At he could relate with the shoulder problems . Probably mostly target and maybe rabbits if I like it.

It’ll be a bit before I get over there… I am not in a big hurry. But I’ll update when I do! For brands, I can’t really say and it surely depends what you want to spend.

Seems the favourite basic under $200 model has been the Galaxy Sage (previously called Samick Sage) for years… but if you like other brands their entry level offerings can be much more $.

There is no minimum draw weight for small game (unlike deer which is 40 pound) so if you mainly want to shoot at targets and rabbits you can probably pick whatever suits your shoulder.

It’ll be a bit before I get over there… I am not in a big hurry. But I’ll update when I do! For brands, I can’t really say and it surely depends what you want to spend.

Seems the favourite basic under $200 model has been the Galaxy Sage (previously called Samick Sage) for years… but if you like other brands their entry level offerings can be much more $.

There is no minimum draw weight for small game (unlike deer which is 40 pound) so if you mainly want to shoot at targets and rabbits you can probably pick whatever suits your shoulder.
Thanks. I just know as far as the shoulder goes even drawing a rope cocking aide on a cross bow takes effort more than once . And I would probably start at he min . for deer so there's a chance to resell it . I heard something about the Sage model before. Gets down to trying one I guess.

Thanks. I just know as far as the shoulder goes even drawing a rope cocking aide on a cross bow takes effort more than once . And I would probably start at he min . for deer so there's a chance to resell it . I heard something about the Sage model before. Gets down to trying one I guess.
I think archery specific models are usually pretty low draw weight and would probably have some resale value?

Poi ; Winston Churchills famous V for victory was actually him using the Old English way of him "flipping the bird" at the Nazi's. Long ago during the 100 Year War the English showed up in France to do battle with legions of English bowmen which wreaked havoc upon their troops and won them many engagements, so as punishment to any Englishman captured by the French they cut off the index and middle finger of the right hand so they could never draw the string of a bow again. The French were using crossbows and couldn't reload fast enough compared to the Longbow.

Poi ; Winston Churchills famous V for victory was actually him using the Old English way of him "flipping the bird" at the Nazi's. Long ago during the 100 Year War the English showed up in France to do battle with legions of English bowmen which wreaked havoc upon their troops and won them many engagements, so as punishment to any Englishman captured by the French they cut off the index and middle finger of the right hand so they could never draw the string of a bow again. The French were using crossbows and couldn't reload fast enough compared to the Longbow.
Have to watch that when I'm at work .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks