Off Topic Any body use an auto pilot they love or one they hate?

Twister

I want one for my 8hp yami trolling motor and know nothing about them.

There are a few products out there, dependant on your situation. For eg. the garmin tr1 is a hydraulic standalone product and then panther has a product if I’m not mistaking it’s electric,then intellisteer has one. If your boat was not too large perhaps just a trolling motor could help guide your boat.

Too much boat for a bow mount I pilot except on really calm days. Wife does drive some days but she only likes good weather. I know better than to yell at her.

Too much boat for a bow mount I pilot except on really calm days. Wife does drive some days but she only likes good weather. I know better than to yell at her.
What size boat Twister? I have seen how mounts on some pretty big boats and control is pretty much the best there is...basically think of it as 4wd for a boat!

I’m in the same situation as my boat sits out of the waterline enough that when there is any wind it will blow me off coarse and when your running 6 plus lines with friend or family a steering aid can be very helpful. My steering is not hydraulic nor would I think one could shut there I/o ignition and then drive both motors with there pump all day with a tie bar. That is why I have added a second helm just for my kicker and then of coarse an autopilot. Yes a tr1 could have been a easy choice but I like to think outside the box and have gone with simrads nac2 just need to iron out this virtual rudder and then it will be the cats meow . ?

They run autopilot electrics on 21 ft Rangers no problem.How big is your boat?

Hewescraft 180 sea runner. wide and tall the wind pushes it around. Plus very tall bow would need a shaft longer than I have room for. I would prefer that solution but don't think it will work. Loved the I pilot for trolling on my last Lund so I would if I thought I could.

@Twister just like what @live2fish and @Ryan Bambach says about Lowrance, they make great systems. I run the HDS 12 with the Lowrance Auto Pilot for hydraulic steering on a 250 hp Etech. Out on the open water trolling it works awesome. When I’m inside the Bluffs trolling for pike I’m always correcting my course only because I know the area very well. I’ve even plotted a course on the HDS and it works just as good. You can even have it navigate contour lines and route trails which I haven’t done. It’s just easier to turn on auto and go. I’ll use auto when I get up on plane and heading out to the Elbow.

I've never had a problem using the Ipilot bow mounts on my boats, been using them for 8 years
First boat was a 19' Starcraft
Second is the 18 1/2' Triton

I can solve your problem , for the Auto Pilot , Lowrance and Simrad . have auto pilots for out boards with cable steer and hydraulic steering , you need a Lowrance or Simrad unit to run them . If you are running a kicker with alternator. and tye bar to main motor , you just turn key on to main motor , this operates the pump to the auto pilot , or kicker supplies enough to run the auto pilot .
Give me a call at ANGLING OUTFITTERS 519-539-5494 , can help you , have installed many of these on boats even with twin out borders.
Trust this helps you .
Regards
Monty

I put the Lowrance AP on my 25' with twins and kicker tied to them with bar and it works perfectly. My only advise is think hard about where you put the antenna. I put mine on the dash which works fine except for when I put the cuddy hatch up and it actually interfered. Took me a few hours to figure out why I kept going in right turns when the dog got hot down there......

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks