Another Tailfeathers Tale

DaveJ

Once again...an afternoon out of Burwell with Tom and Tailfeathers proved he is the true Walleye Whisperer, and the Knower of All Walleye Knowledge.
My bud an I did a walk-on-seat filler with another 68 gentleman and a lovely lady who was filling a bucket list big water walleye challenge. I told her she lucked out with having the most polite clean cut crew Tom has ever had on the boat.....:cool:.
A bit rocky heading out..2-3' occasional 4, but it settled as the afternoon turned into evening. Masterful spread of leadcore on inline planers, couple dipsies. One red Penn reel that was used as punishment for any slackers.Bu5.jpgBu3.jpgBu2.jpgBu1.jpg Graphs showed a ton of fish mostly hugging bottom. Didnt take long for those fish to start to rise up, and organized chaos ensued.
Ended up with a full 4 tickets/24 fish with a ton of throwbacks. Everything from 8" to some solid 5lb fish. Average the 2-3lbers we all love to feast on. The best laugh was end of day pulling lines and almost every rod was loaded up with fish...we were dumping back some solid 3lbers as the cooler was full.
As always, Capt was full of info and tips and techniques on how to do it right.
There was also a special custom spoon with UV tape that did a lot of damage that I tried to steal but it was guarded closely.
We missed Trevor, but his back would have been very angry at him today.
Thanks Tom!!!Bu4.jpg

Why the dis of the Penn? They are great lead core reels, in my opinion.

We missed Trevor, but his back would have been very angry at him today.
One red Penn reel that was used as punishment for any slackers.
Glad to see you had a good outing. Did ya really miss me tho? I was kind of there with ya since you were still out there when I was talking to Tom about getting out with him next week. ;):LOL:.

If I'd been able to come along (I can't do the afternoon charter on short notice Mon-Thurs because I have to pick my wife up before we'd be back to the dock ) I'd have been "ok" provided I remember to take the necessary pain killers before I leave the house, (which I take every time I leave the house or I'm not gonna be out of the house for very long) so that I can do things like go sit on the pier or go out with Tom whether the lake is glass flat which it seems is rare when I do get out with him or when the lake is a "little bit bumpy." I've been out with him in worse than what you were yesterday (in fact I think the last time I was out with you on a charter with him a couple years ago it was worse) but yeah, after the fact, much as I do when I go sit on the pier for 8 hours or more, I usually pay for it for a few days afterwards. :(

I know exactly which reel you're talking about, seems to me last time I was out with him, that was always the rod that seemed to fire when it was my turn to bring one in. SOOOO, knowing that if we managed limits for everyone we'd all be going home with fish, which we did, and being it was their first time out with Tom where I've been out with him many times, I let Kevin or Kyle bring it in and took the next one on a reel that was "nicer" to me than that one is. :ROFLMAO:

Glad to see you had a good outing. Did ya really miss me tho? I was kind of there with ya since you were still out there when I was talking to Tom about getting out with him next week. ;):LOL:.

If I'd been able to come along (I can't do the afternoon charter on short notice Mon-Thurs because I have to pick my wife up before we'd be back to the dock ) I'd have been "ok" provided I remember to take the necessary pain killers before I leave the house, (which I take every time I leave the house or I'm not gonna be out of the house for very long) so that I can do things like go sit on the pier or go out with Tom whether the lake is glass flat which it seems is rare when I do get out with him or when the lake is a "little bit bumpy." I've been out with him in worse than what you were yesterday (in fact I think the last time I was out with you on a charter with him a couple years ago it was worse) but yeah, after the fact, much as I do when I go sit on the pier for 8 hours or more, I usually pay for it for a few days afterwards. :(

I know exactly which reel you're talking about, seems to me last time I was out with him, that was always the rod that seemed to fire when it was my turn to bring one in. SOOOO, knowing that if we managed limits for everyone we'd all be going home with fish, which we did, and being it was their first time out with Tom where I've been out with him many times, I let Kevin or Kyle bring it in and took the next one on a reel that was "nicer" to me than that one is. :ROFLMAO:
When we were out last time I do believe it was a bit rougher...but it was for sure bumpy at the start. Everyone got their sea legs fast, sitting and reeling was OK for some but I like to stand, and no chum line! I paid a bit to the stiff neck and shoulder Gods last night..but I blame it on that Penn with 15 colors of lead. By the end of the trip it was like playing musical chairs when the rod went off:cool:
Tom said he was likely hooking up with you next week. Its on fire. You can't even believe the graph...

Tom said he was likely hooking up with you next week. Its on fire. You can't even believe the graph...
Yeah we're supposed to be going out to see about meeting some guy named "Walter" and his friends to give'em a new piercing Wednesday morning (weather permitting) and YES, I can believe the graph. I saw it about 3 weeks ago and even mentioned it in my post that I have NEVER seen it like that before (until that day) and I'm REALLY hoping it'll be like that again on Wednesday after the big blow we're supposed to be getting on Monday.

I've got family coming from Timmins this weekend so I'm wondering if I could just ask what depth to start at?
They really want to catch a rainbow trout but I think they will really like to catch some Walter's bigger than what they catch in Horwood
I'm glad you were able to catch your limits.

I've got family coming from Timmins this weekend so I'm wondering if I could just ask what depth to start at?
They really want to catch a rainbow trout but I think they will really like to catch some Walter's bigger than what they catch in Horwood
Last time I was out with him (about 3 weeks ago) I think we dropped lines in 45 FOW and headed out deeper. I don't think we went any deeper than 56 fow that trip, but I also wasn't exactly paying much attention to the electronics. I've been reading reports that say anywhere from 45 fow out to as deep as 70 fow have been producing.

60 fow. Lots of fish.

Last time I was out with him (about 3 weeks ago) I think we dropped lines in 45 FOW and headed out deeper. I don't think we went any deeper than 56 fow that trip, but I also wasn't exactly paying much attention to the electronics. I've been reading reports that say anywhere from 45 fow out to as deep as 70 fow have been producing.
Thanks

What goes on on Tailfeathers stays on Tailfeathers
Since when? :wacky: I've seen and made an awful lot of posts over the years of "what went on" while out with @tailfeathers. I've even been able to convice at least a few people to give him a call and go see for themselves that what I told them, was true. BEST advertising for him there is. Word of mouth (or as the case may be, written word, videos and pictures help too) :ROFLMAO:

Since when? :wacky: I've seen and made an awful lot of posts over the years of "what went on" while out with @tailfeathers. I've even been able to convice at least a few people to give him a call and go see for themselves that what I told them, was true. BEST advertising for him there is. Word of mouth (or as the case may be, written word, videos and pictures help too) :ROFLMAO:
Two charters today . Mornings on the table afternoons are on the floor of the boat. 54 fish in maybe 6 hours I'm tired!!!

Attachments

• 20230804_164910.jpg
    20230804_164910.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230804_164010.jpg
    20230804_164010.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230804_113916.jpg
    20230804_113916.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 44
Two charters today . Mornings on the table afternoons are on the floor of the boat. 54 fish in maybe 6 hours I'm tired!!!
Congrats to your guests yesterday @tailfeathers, we passed you on your way out with your afternoon party, and it was ugly out there, especially in my buddy’s pontoon.
We hooked into a monster at 59fow, not the biggest walleye but was definitely OLD looking, we sent him back, and then only caught one more. Fished 9 to about 1, trolled out to 61 and back, just couldn’t get em to bite.

Just so you know, our crew was the cleanest cut, best behaved bunch Tom has ever seen...really...I wouldn't lie...:cool:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks