Another Pet Peeve, fishing related.

Bassassin

I was waiting, in line, for the ramp to clear Sunday afternoon to take the boat out when 2 guys putted around me in a 14 footer and jumped the line. I didn't say a word because I was sure they were just going to go into the Marina's shop to go to the men's room or some such thing. Nope they pulled right up to the ramp jumping the next guy waiting with his lady and dog on board. The guy took a good 25 minutes to back the van up and line up the trailer, it was painful to watch he couldn't back up a shopping cart. 2 other guys that he jumped in front of too finally couldn't take it anymore and backed the van up for him and put the boat on the trailer. Otherwise we may have still been there. When I finally got into the parking lot they were still trying to tie down the tinny 40 minutes later, I have no idea what they were doing nor did they.

I asked him why he jumped the line and he waved me off and said " me no speaka ". I noticed his country of origin flag hanging from the rear view mirror and a I just happen to speak his language a bit better than he pretended to not be able to speak English and gave him a blast. That was worth the wait.

Please don't jump the line going in or out, know I remember why I don't use ramps on weekends and won't again this year unless in a tourney. And don't try to squeeze into a spot between a mass of boats and anchor for perch. Usually everyone says they would never do that but someone does, maybe just not members here.

Rant over, thanks.

Johnny D

Reactions: M_P
It amazes me that there are not more assaults at ramps. Some people only care about themselves and don't worry about common courtesy anymore. Learn how to back up and practice. Learn how to unload and load the boat onto the trailer and don't pack up or get the boat ready on the ramp, do that while you're waiting to use the ramp.
My boys and I have a system down pat. Pull up in line above the ramp and one starts un-tarping, while one load gear. Bumpers and lines go on depending on what side of the boat will be against the dock and we patiently wait our turn. Back down the ramp, stop, one grabs the front line, one grabs the rear, continue down into the water and out once the boat is free. they then know to pull the boat to the very end of the dock if there is room so the next guy can hit the water while I'm parking the truck. If someone jumps the queue my boys start to grin because they know Dad has no problem chewing them out.

Use common sense and common courtesy pretty easy it would seem.....unfortunately both these are scarce these days

It amazes me that there are not more assaults at ramps. Some people only care about themselves and don't worry about common courtesy anymore. Learn how to back up and practice. Learn how to unload and load the boat onto the trailer and don't pack up or get the boat ready on the ramp, do that while you're waiting to use the ramp.
My boys and I have a system down pat. Pull up in line above the ramp and one starts un-tarping, while one load gear. Bumpers and lines go on depending on what side of the boat will be against the dock and we patiently wait our turn. Back down the ramp, stop, one grabs the front line, one grabs the rear, continue down into the water and out once the boat is free. they then know to pull the boat to the very end of the dock if there is room so the next guy can hit the water while I'm parking the truck. If someone jumps the queue my boys start to grin because they know Dad has no problem chewing them out.

I didn't read where you mentioned the plug. So easy to forget, especially when in a rush, not that I have ever forgotten to put it in.

I didn't read where you mentioned the plug. So easy to forget, especially when in a rush, not that I have ever forgotten to put it in.
Plug goes in in the spring and out in the fall. Bilge pumps are wonderful things aren't they? Can't say that I haven't forgotten the plug before though.....

Last edited:
Back