Off Topic Another dumb question for you guy

FrankTheTank

I was wondering if these are exausht ports or intake on my johnson 9.9 the first picture looks like exaust ports and the intake would be the rou d hole on the bottom of the keel?

Thanks again guys

Will be posti g a fishimg report this weekend saturday is bass day as you all know and sumday i have a family party for a highschool and collage grad but im gunna try to squeeze a couple hours in on the early shift trolling in the new 16' before she goes into the work shop so i might have to show up boat in toe maybe but hopefully i can bring some fresh pickerel to the party eh tha ks again

Attachments

• 20220623_211608.jpg
    20220623_211608.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220623_211615.jpg
    20220623_211615.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 20220623_211629.jpg
    20220623_211629.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220623_211602.jpg
    20220623_211602.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 68
It will exhaust through the prop, the vertical series of holes that are on the side of the lower unit are water intake ports for cooling the engine. If you ever run the motor on "earmuffs" make sure the hose is directed at those intake ports.
BTW: No such thing as a dumb question. If you do not know, ask.

In the first pic your water intake vents are right near (ahead of) the prop. Your actual water pump is located just above it. The two screws located on the bottom end are where you fill/drain the Lower Gear Oil. Always good to check it, one screw will be higher than the other hence bottom to Drain and Top to fill. If gear oil looks milky it means water got in and it should be drained and refilled. Not a big job but a "MUST DO" in the Fall as water freezing inside could burst the housing(very expensive) or blow seals (on the cheap side). Doesn't hurt to pull the Prop off and look for fishing line wrapped around the shaft. That stuff will wear out your seals ! I believe the "Small Holes" in question are part of the exhaust system as that unit doesn't have a "Thru the Hub system" and they allow water in to help the flow of exhaust. Never run the motor without it being in water ! You can burn out your water pump in the blink of an eye. You should have what I/we call a "Pisser" it will be squirting out a steady stream of water once the motor is running and usually located on the bottom left of motor cowling. Make sure it works as it means you are pumping water to keep your motor from over heating. Sometimes they plug up from little bits of weed so I carry a small piece of wire that I can stick in the exit hole and that usually clears it. Also you can check on the temperature of the water streaming out with your hand as you are driving , it may get warm but shouldn't be hot. If it runs hot ... you need a water pump kit and check out You Tube for directions. Sometimes what happens is at slow speeds there is enough material on the rubber vanes in the water pump to pump enough water but under high speeds the vanes being thin and don't make contact with the outer wall of the pump and can't supply enough volume to cool the engine.

That's my 2 cents.

There are two separate motors in those pics… black prop = through hub exhaust, white prop is not.

If you don’t know what the drain and vent caps are… that’s disconcerting. How long have you had these motors?

Other random holes here and there will just be to let water drain out.

Thanks guys i dont how to do the qouting thing on here but to answer the qeusetion i just bought the 9.9 in march and the other motor not sure why that pic got thrown in there weve had since before i was born so 30 years plus but it hasnt ran si ce my brother ran it a few years back and left it on its side for a winter out side but when i bought my motor and spiffed up the 12' tinny i started a burni g desire dad got his motor fixed my buddy went out and bought a boat trailer motor i just wasnt sure where the intakes were considering there are the 2 sets of holes the stright up and down and the 6 stacked 3x3 there and for the pisser she does come out at a steady stream under the cowli g and i have some spitting out the exausht right under the cowling witch i only noticed after hitting a rock and taki g a small chunck out of the prop witch scared the crap out of me thinking i cracked the shaft or so.ethi g. Thanks again for all the info you guys give its nice to learn things from the boys that been arou d these motors for a long time thanks again guys good luck tomorrow eh

Some water coming from the exhaust is normal. Hot water and exhaust go out together. When underway the exhaust should go out the prop but when not moving it exhausts through those little holes under the cowl. Some water will also go with it.

1656073785931.png

Yeah shes a great motor runs like a dream but i just bought a 16' deep hull last night so i was tryi g to see if i can use my short shat 9.9 on it but ill stick with my dads long shaft 7.5 till i aquire a motor probably a 25 or 30 for it and build the captins chair for now and plug away thru the winter building the rest of the seats and storage live well ect... Thanks again eh i aprecate you guys shari g your knowlage its alot better this way then trial and error everytime

I’ll second the no such thing as dumb questions. The whole purpose of this forum is to share tips, tricks, reports and to help each other on the board.

As for needing a 25-30hp, that’s much more than you really need. I ran a 14’6” tinner for a few years and even with 3 adults on board there was zero issue getting on plane and ripping around at 30-35 kph with a 15hp Yamaha.

Well thats good to know eh less money to buy and less money to run simce i only fish theres really no want to go tearing around so thats fast enought for me and less weight since i have a couple big friends and lots of gear for the week long island camps eh

You are right Wildfire ! There are two different motors in those pics. Ooooops my bad ! I'm going to blame it on the rum, must have blurred my vision ? LoL ! So true about the "dumb questions" I'm 65 years old and still asking mine.

Actually the modern 4 stroke outboard doesn't seem to consume more fuel then old carbureted 2 stroke Merc, despite making more than 3x the power.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks