Another deep fryer report

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Fresh Hastings perch and home cut fries. This week has been a high colestrol, good thing there is meds I take to keep my level done

That's one hell of a nice fryer you have Threebouys, how much for one of those fryer types cost and where can you purchase one at??? Big fishfry coming up for me in 2 weeks and more people expected this year. I like your fryer better than the turkey fryer type.

Any restaurant supply place should carry that style of cooker....like STOP restaurant supply in Kitchener..........Cabelas or Basspro might also carry them

I was in Bass Pro in Niagara on the Lake this morning and they had one similar but smaller. Check on line. Remember all the prices on line are in US funds. A lady there this AM told me there is a window at the bottom of the page to change to CDN funds. After almost 2 hours looking I bought a 12 buck knife sharpener.

Thanks guys for the info and tips, I'm going to try Kijiji also. I would only use it a couple times a year as we have a new T-fal self cleaning fryer from Can. tire, for the 2 of us and the wife just loves it. Now she will do all the fish cooking now without it tasting like an old chewed boot!!! Basically I did "all" the frying previously. When I bought it ,I thought it was for me. Woman have their toys too. Happy wife happy life!!!

After looking closely at it I think we have a new winter project at the marina. Not much to it really. A steel box, a burner with regulator, a thermocouple and gauge then make it as fancy on the outside you wish. Am I missing anything? It will make quick work of our winter fish fries. We better get into some perch soon or we might be frying Cod.

After looking closely at it I think we have a new winter project at the marina. Not much to it really. A steel box, a burner with regulator, a thermocouple and gauge then make it as fancy on the outside you wish. Am I missing anything? It will make quick work of our winter fish fries. We better get into some perch soon or we might be frying Cod.
What do you mean you haven't been into any perch ??? Is that because of where you launch from???

We are from Nanticoke and all our regular spots aren't producing Rob. It's been spotty, here today gone tomorry. If I have to hunt for them I might as well go for the Pics that are here for sure. We are working on buddies 24 footer, when she's ready we will make the trip to Hastings and fill the freezer, hopefully. Too old to bang the body for the run there unless center ice flat.

I always like frozen perch over Pickerel that's frozen.

I heard from my bro, who's trailer is at Austin park, said the same about spotty perchin' again this season. I hope you get the big boat ready soon before the perch are gone to or spotty down Hastings way as the season goes on from here til fall time. It has been a weird fishin' season on erie this year.

That's one hell of a nice fryer you have Threebouys, how much for one of those fryer types cost and where can you purchase one at??? Big fishfry coming up for me in 2 weeks and more people expected this year. I like your fryer better than the turkey fryer type.
@RobNPerch it came from Basspro. $600.00. It's called Cajun Fryer. The nice thing about this one is the burner is a single orfice that throws a flame through a 3" square tube that's mounted half way up in the tank. All the coatings from fish will fall to the bottom where there is no direct source of heat and burn. Which in turn your oil will last longer. Holds 4 gals of oil and will cook fast!!!!! Does an excellent job on chicken wings also

@RobNPerch it came from Basspro. $600.00. It's called Cajun Fryer. The nice thing about this one is the burner is a single orfice that throws a flame through a 3" square tube that's mounted half way up in the tank. All the coatings from fish will fall to the bottom where there is no direct source of heat and burn. Which in turn your oil will last longer. Holds 4 gals of oil and will cook fast!!!!! Does an excellent job on chicken wings also

So I might have seen one this AM at Bass Pro. Jim do they recommend you drain the oil once cool after each use? There are people out there that may leave it on the patio, it ain't no BBQ. Using it outdoors you don't want any water into the tank. Arson 101, "How to start a kitchen fire." Once that water below the oil starts boiling there is oil all over your burner, bye, bye kitchen then house.

How many cooking's do you let the oil go before changing the oil? There is a grease trap on commercial units that will take the fats, bread crumbs or batter that falls to the bottom, does your unit have a trap or screen at the bottom? I always reuse the oil for my frying at home and run it through coffee filters to clear it. But have separate oil for fish fries. I wouldn't use fish oil for wings, I don't know if it's a rule of thumb because I know at the restaurant we would fry fish and wings etc in the same oil but would change it every Saturday AM when fish was on special Fridays. Some guys say the oil breaks down once used. If I'm using a few quarts, no problem go ahead dump it but at home I don't. I'm not dumping 4 gallons of oil after a fish fry for sure.

JD

So I might have seen one this AM at Bass Pro. Jim do they recommend you drain the oil once cool after each use? There are people out there that may leave it on the patio, it ain't no BBQ. Using it outdoors you don't want any water into the tank. Arson 101, "How to start a kitchen fire." Once that water below the oil starts boiling there is oil all over your burner, bye, bye kitchen then house.

How many cooking's do you let the oil go before changing the oil? There is a grease trap on commercial units that will take the fats, bread crumbs or batter that falls to the bottom, does your unit have a trap or screen at the bottom? I always reuse the oil for my frying at home and run it through coffee filters to clear it. But have separate oil for fish fries. I wouldn't use fish oil for wings, I don't know if it's a rule of thumb because I know at the restaurant we would fry fish and wings etc in the same oil but would change it every Saturday AM when fish was on special Fridays. Some guys say the oil breaks down once used. If I'm using a few quarts, no problem go ahead dump it but at home I don't. I'm not dumping 4 gallons of oil after a fish fry for sure.

JD

@WhatsthePoint there is no grease trap on these units at all John. I normally get 10-15 cookings on one batch of oil. When I put fresh oil in it, it will stay in it for about 6 cookings before I drain it. A lot depends on much I fish I fry before it gets emptied. When I do empty it I'll drain it through paint filters. They work the best for catching the crumbs and small particles. Coffee filters take a lot of time for the oil to flow through. I bought a cheap little BBQ cover from CTC that I cover it when not in use.
I believe in the manual it says it will feed about 25 people/hr. In order to do that, you need to have your fish prepared before cooking. You won't have time to prepare and cook at the same time. Once the fish hits that oil at 350 degrees it's cooked fast. The largest amount of fish I've cooked to feed 18 people took about 45 mins and that was I think 14 lbs of fish. I like to cook 10-12 perch fillets/basket depending on the size.
I can do 20lbs of wings in about 1 hr.
I sort of hesitated when I bought it thinking $600.00 is a little steep but now it was a good investment move. I'll use it all year round and the neighbours are always coming over for free samples

Thank you very much for the info @Three buoys. I sure wish we had on when we went to my former wife's family cottages on Calendar Bay. At least 6 families. Our weekly fry was for the entire town it seemed sometimes. My brother in law and I cooked Walleye, Pike and perch until our arms fell off using 2 Woks in the 99 degree kitchen on the creek. I don't remember how many pounds but I do know it was 4 heads of cabbage for Aunt Mary's salad and 25 people or more plus the kiddie table was normal. I would go back to work in the Blast Furnaces to cool off!!!!

Thanks for the info ThreeBouys, it is a bit pricey for the amount of use I ill get out of it, hoping to find a used unit if possible.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks