And you wonder why......

I bet it wasn't set by a commercial fisherman.
I've heard what they call ghost nets are found in Nippissing. Catching Walleye stink to the bottom with fish, rot, then float up and catch again.
I think we all sports fisherman and commercial guys should get along.
Every commercial fisherman I've talked to have been great and informative.
Remember we all have a job, those commercial guys have been around before I was born.
Should I say, that was before us sport fisherman had limits.

Last edited:
I agree with you @Fish Farmer. We do need to get along. Unfortunately there are people on both sides of the commercial/sport fishing industry that do unscrupulous things.
All we can do is report them and hope they are prosecuted

I used to fish the thames south os London I have seen natives spoil fish by the tons seen them spear spawing fish in Victoria keepers of the land hurumpthe nets they used on the river it was a tear jerker but you cannot say or do any thingso I quit fishing the big river they wiped it out at the Detroit border a native had a truck load of pickerel and was stall there they would not let him in

So many sport fishermen & women get upset with commercial fishing. Unfortunately as with many things these days it only takes one clown to tarnish public opinion. If I was a netter on Superior I'd be tracking this particular clown down and handing him/her over to the authorities....

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/abandoned-nets-lake-superior-1.3951414
Actually a lot of the nets that are found in the great lakes are not all abanded. Some nets are lost in severe storms, and they keep fishing and catching because they are made of nylon mesh....in the old days the nets were made of cotton and would rot after awhile in the water.

I lived in the Soo area for awhile and quite close to the location where this happened on Lake Superior. It wasn't commercial fisherman....it was rather one single individual who has had this happen frequently over the last few years. Natives decimated this one particular walleye lake up there to the point where the MNR determined that the lake's walleye population more than likely wouldn't bounce back. This was done by 2 individuals for profit. 2 people, get to have all the walleye in the lake. Sounds fair eh? Its a non-stop issue up there

@Coontail44... Unfortunately I've witnessed the same thing all over northern Ontario. I used to moose hunt and fish in WMU 21A on Islington Lake 70 miles north of the Marathon area in the 1980s and it was great. That is until the natives netted the lake into extinction, so much so that one year the MNR could not net a single fish to conduct any of their testing. After that I started hunting and fishing WMUs 24, 11B, 18A, 19, 12A, 12B, 9B and even a 31 hour drive as far as you can travel north by road in Ontario to WMU 1C encountering the same destruction no matter where we went.

It's a total travesty what is allowed to go on every year while we must follow all the rules "or else." The saddest part is, the MNR constrained by governmental political correctness is obligated to look the other way while allowing this raping of our cherished resource to continue indefinitely. Probably until there is nothing left for future generations to enjoy as we have in the past. This isn't a winternet rant, it's fact and the absolute sad truth. :(

Last edited:
I'm speaking out of turn perhaps, but when I lived in quinte 20 years ago there was a big rift between the natives spearing spawning fish in the Moira and some people took it into their own hands to get them out of there.

Big brawls, cops turned a blind eye to it all. Including pick up trucks loaded with ripe females and beaten natives who may have been excersizing their rights.

However it was a travesty on both sides, it's not hard to see where things have headed from that time. Add some irresponsible commercial guys to the mix... Recreational fisherman not respecting slot limits or possession limits ..Good times.

The lack of respect for the fishery exists everywhere in varying degrees.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it is sad that there is no easy answer to greed. Sad to hear things are getting worse instead of better.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks