And the Fat Lady sang.......

Old Cut LongPointer

I've been hunting deer for over 20 years and we have always filled most of our Tags and truth is most times tag out or maybe 80-90 % filled but luck and time eventually run out and for a first time we walk away empty handed. I've heard rumours that those who did get some did very well but there was also a lot of unhappy hunters. Maybe when the cold slap of reality wears off I may borrow a crossbow and try for a Buck or go duck hunting/cut firewood, etc..

Interesting you say that because I was out and about for most of the week, nearly everyday I would check the usual spots for activity on my drive to and from and saw very few trucks in the popular places. Saw a few orange coats on private lands, and heard very few shots in the first few hours of the mornings particularly the last half of the week. Seemed like the slowest year I've seen in the past 5 or 6 years. Lets hope things are better for our group in the Dec. hunt.

Damn Chris, that is a first. Usually you slay them all and we get squat.

We have been seeing lots on our trail cams. Maybe they don't like your side of the fence anymore!!
We had a guy and his grandsons on our side for the first couple days, and they got 2 bucks.

This evening there was about 20 deer in every field I drove past about hour before sunset lol

Interesting you say that because I was out and about for most of the week, nearly everyday I would check the usual spots for activity on my drive to and from and saw very few trucks in the popular places. Saw a few orange coats on private lands, and heard very few shots in the first few hours of the mornings particularly the last half of the week. Seemed like the slowest year I've seen in the past 5 or 6 years. Lets hope things are better for our group in the Dec. hunt.
I could count all the shots I heard all week on both hands; so yes , it was a bad November hunt for a lot of people.

This evening there was about 20 deer in every field I drove past about hour before sunset lol
That's insane. We have decent deer numbers where I live and hunt, but I've never seen anything like the deer numbers down by Port Stanley and that general area, other than maybe parts of the US. I drive very slowly on the way to the launch down that way in the mornings!

I could count all the shots I heard all week on both hands; so yes , it was a bad November hunt for a lot of people.

Like Chris mentioned, there were much fewer hunters this year and has been a trend since the covid fiasco began. For my daily commute I pass by 4 public land properties and live only a few hundred yards from two more.

I saw 2 trucks all week. Zero afternoon shots around home. Before covid and for 5 consecutive years id see multiple vehicles at each location all week. Sometimes different groups of hunters in the afternoon than Id see in the morning.

There are tons of deer everywhere so its not like its a lack of deer. Its simply much fewer guys out there shooting. My guess would be inflation and job loss making it unaffordable for many people to take a week off these days.

I guess we will have to wait and see how the December Hunt goes as most farmers shoot that one and usually "push the bush" as opposed to the November Hunt when most of us sit in the bush due to the corn still being up. The MNR allows for 1800 permits for 90B November Hunt and 1600 for December Hunt but yes ch312, how many guys go out is a good question ? The MNR posts a Total Harvest number (approx. 53000 per year for the past 3 years ) for Deer but no breakdown as per area.

I think the warm temps, high winds and incredibly bright full moon slowed daytime movement a lot. (At least where I was hunting in unit 54 area.) My friend that runs dogs had a great week in a different unit. My group all stand hunt/still hunt and we saw 1/3 of the numbers we would expect. They just weren't moving in daylight. Saw my share of trucks and hunter activity along the main roads so it wasnt for a lack of effort where I was at. Hopefully Dec season produces for me further South.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks