anchor

TMAN

I have been having difficulty staying put with my anchor. Is there a specific anchor type that works best . My anchor is 15lbs

Danforth anchor with 200' of rope and 5' of Chain to the anchor. What ever water depth your in, double the length of rope out.
I've had to put out 200' of rope out in 50' of water at times when rough. Just be careful bring in you anchor, could have other peoples hooks on your rope:eek::LOL::ROFLMAO:

TMAN, Fish Farmer's advice is worth considering. The length of the rope is most often the problem and having chain on the first several feet make the anchor much more efficient. If both of those tips don't work a larger anchor is the answer. I eventually bought one designed for boats up to 30'. My boat is 19-1/2'. That solved the problem. I still use a 15 pound anchor in light winds because it is much easier to handle.

I did some additional research and see that I need chain length be equivalent to boat length and let rope to double the depth. Is this what most do? I know I wasn't so it is likely the problem... Thanks again

I have 8 foot 5/16 chain and let out 100 feet of rope and never had a issue and anchor in up to 60 feet and I use a danforth that is only tin and round rod weights like 6 lbs and it holds very well

Last edited:
Hi Tman
I have about 4-5' of chain on my danforth anchor. It's thick chain links, maybe an inch. The longer your anchor rope the better. It is reccommended that you have 5-7 times the depth. I have never needed that much myself. I may have 150' of rope on my 23' boat. I rarely anchor in waters deeper than 50'. Hope that helps some.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks