Amazing

Magnum 3

Yes that's the word for it . Day 4 on the hunt and never stops to amaze me what deer are capable of of doing . Thought the push was coming to an end and finally out pops one , going by wicked fast . Put a shot thru the thick stuff but no luck . I've seen them clear pretty tall fences and corn stocks before . But as I swung for a second shot , I watched in awe as this doe cleared the brush and leaped across a tractor path to land with pin point accuracy at the edge of swamp only to make a second leap ( which at least 2 of us figure was 18' or more ) over the cat tails and disappear . At least it seemed like she disappeared as I couldn't see her and never heard a splash when she hit the water . After a couple seconds , I saw her hit the far bank ( while picking my jaw back up ) and make one more bounce over the bank , leaving all of a head shot as she disappeared . Amazing !!

thats normal magnum pushin pressured deer ...the mature bucks and does can jump incredible up and out of the thickest of cover

Wheres the heavy 8 or 10...can ya post us a pic of your meat pole when ya finish up....

thats normal magnum pushin pressured deer ...the mature bucks and does can jump incredible up and out of the thickest of cover

Wheres the heavy 8 or 10...can ya post us a pic of your meat pole when ya finish up....
Well , don't know if it's a bragger year yet . Only seven so far with the largest group we have had to date (when everyone is here ) . Got skunked today . No large bucks . I think we only have 2 all together . A couple not bad does . Only hunting till noon tomorrow and that's it for me . Feet can't take it and have lots to do before I go back to work . For me that was quite the site either way . There have been years when we had a lot better with less people and usually average 10 plus . If we shot everything we saw every year we would be done by wed. at the latest . But it usually runs to Thurs./ Fri. and we are tagged out . Just not coming together . See how it goes . That's Ok. We are meat hunters . Racks and tracks don't make for a very good stew , but it is sure nice to see at least one or two of the large size on the pole , when the numbers are down . First 7 already went to the butcher as we don't a shop to do it in anymore . See what happens tomorrow .

Mick . Finished with 9 Sat. morning . 2 does . One avg . Other little bigger (waiting on pics ) . No didn't tag out . Everybody agreed we had enough and cooked up tenderloins that afternoon . Funny how everything seems to taste better ,when you're not the one in a snow bank running the BBQ . The son-in-law and I both got skunked , but had a good time doing it as with everyone else in the group . Best of all , I was told by him that he passed on a large buck as he only had buckshot that day and a partial view . Some may have said yes , others no . But at least there isn't a wounded deer running around . A healthy breeder for next year I hope . Another 52 weeks (or more ) of thinking about shoulda , woulda , coulda , mighta hada for him . I always remember the big ones that got away more than the ones I shot . Come to think of it . Still haven't shot the big buck yet . But ethics is what I'm about and I guess he is to . Next year ... Next year !!

hey magnum congrats on putting your fresh meat in the freezer..

hey magnum congrats on putting your fresh meat in the freezer..
Thanks Mick .Oh well . Freezer won't be as full as last year and not as much to pass out to friends either LOL . But it's all good . Saved on shells to . Not like I needed to . By the way . Never had Elk . Tried Buffalo . Doesn't taste much different than beef I think . Love Moose . I assume you have cooked up some Elk by now . How was it . Taste anything like venison or different all together . Just curious .

Last edited:
Hey Magnum my post rut alfalfa fed RM elk taste is sweet and flavourful ..and very unique in flavour...I first had some sliced tenderloins fast fried, a large slow oven roast and then i had elk burgers last night...My taste buds are saying what is this...lol Hey I will get onto perfecting this very unique flavoured high quality sweet meat after perfecting prep and cooking options ...I have also really enjoyed all my high quality post rut moose and early spring black bear meat that has excellent flavour and my home grown venison year after year...i like a good count of ground meat too as the cooking options are endless..once in a while i get big salamis and or sausage made up ...Mount Brydges abitoire makes great smoked salamis...i have made lots of jerky in the smoker too..

My NFLD caribou and cod is excellent...

Last edited:
Hey Magnum my post rut alfalfa fed RM elk taste is sweet and flavourful ..and very unique in flavour...I first had some sliced tenderloins fast fried, a large slow oven roast and then i had elk burgers last night...My taste buds are saying what is this...lol Hey I will get onto perfecting this very unique flavoured high quality sweet meat after perfecting prep and cooking options ...I have also really enjoyed all my high quality post rut moose and early spring black bear meat that has excellent flavour and my home grown venison year after year...i like a good count of ground meat too as the cooking options are endless..once in a while i get big salamis and or sausage made up ...Mount Brydges abitoire makes great smoked salamis...i have made lots of jerky in the smoker too..

My NFLD caribou and cod is excellent...
Mick . I don't know if it will help with the Elk ( if I get that right ) but I see Ontario out of doors has a cooking section On line . You can go back and check out different game . I was looking for duck options last year , so i really don't know if there was anything specifically on Elk . Doesn't hurt to check , if you are looking for different ideas . Friends gave me some moose salami . Excellent ! And I tried some Venison summer sausage where i get my deer done . Also very good . Need to buy a Bradley smoker . One of my next purchases .

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks