Off Topic Aluminum Boat Repair -

Whitecaps

Morning everyone -

I did a quick search through some threads, but didn't see anything current, so apologize if this has been discussed before, and I have missed it somewhere

I understand that Ron Bankes has retired. I have a 17' aluminum boat, that has a small crack in the hull and is in need of repair. Just reaching out to the more experienced people here for any suggestions of where a reputable place would be to explore to get quotes from for the repair, now that Ron has retired. I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts.

I live in the Woodstock area, and would prefer a 45 minute radius of that area if at all possible. However, the distance would not be considered a limiting factor.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have used this fella myself and referred a couple people as well. Very competent and very reasonable.

I have used this fella myself and referred a couple people as well. Very competent and very reasonable.

Thank you, will reach out to him as well for a quote and thoughts.

Morning everyone -

I did a quick search through some threads, but didn't see anything current, so apologize if this has been discussed before, and I have missed it somewhere

I understand that Ron Bankes has retired. I have a 17' aluminum boat, that has a small crack in the hull and is in need of repair. Just reaching out to the more experienced people here for any suggestions of where a reputable place would be to explore to get quotes from for the repair, now that Ron has retired. I appreciate everyone's time and thoughts.

Thanks.
I don't know where you live, I've never used these guys but know they have a very good reputation, Heritage Marine, 4075 Breck Ave, London, 519-652-2490.

Good Luck

I don't know where you live, I've never used these guys but know they have a very good reputation, Heritage Marine, 4075 Breck Ave, London, 519-652-2490.

Good Luck
Thank you as well. I modified my original post to indicate the area I live. I will reach out to them as well for thoughts and a quote. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Good Luck
My experience with Heritage was horrible
They did shoddy repair and would not stand behind their work. The repair they did for me failed two weeks afterwards. Fought for almost a year to have it repaired or refunded $3,000.00 down the drain.
John McClennan in Port Franks finally did repair cost was $2,100.00. John retired but Kraft that worked for John and is fantastic has taken over.
hope you don’t invest in a Heritage tuition fee. Although I did learn my lesson.

Jim is Pauls Marine welding son so I was told and is the guy in lynden.

Attachments

• Props.JPG
    Props.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 11
My experience with Heritage was horrible
They did shoddy repair and would not stand behind their work. The repair they did for me failed two weeks afterwards. Fought for almost a year to have it repaired or refunded $3,000.00 down the drain.
John McClennan in Port Franks finally did repair cost was $2,100.00. John retired but Kraft that worked for John and is fantastic has taken over.
hope you don’t invest in a Heritage tuition fee. Although I did learn my lesson.
Hi Morrieo, thanks, sorry about your troubles, I heard they were good, guess it's better coming from the horses mouth

I haven’t used them personally but I know a few people who have used Arrow Welding in Saint Williams for welding holes in their pontoon boats and were happy with the results

Depending on where your crack is,, insert bad joke here,,, You may be better to try and patch it with another piece of aluminum and a strip of blue skin sealant tape, or that stuff seen on TV - Flex tape.
Apply the tape to the under side of the crack, put the piece of aluminum sheet over top, and rivet it in place making sure to rivet through the sealant tape.. When the boat flexes, and it will,, the rivets will give a little and the tape will keep it sealed.

If the crack is in the thin sheet metal on the floor, or side, it will be very difficult to weld and not just break again beside the new weld.

Any good welder would be able to fix it, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a good welder that will guarantee that kind of repair.

Good luck.

It bothers me greatly when I read someones negative take on a repair shop without first hand knowledge. Heritage marine does great work and did most work on my charter boats over the years without any problems. I used to be the one who did the Aluminum repairs for Heritage Marine on a sub contract basis. I did not work for Heritage and they did not have a tig or mig machine. My welding was always cam with a guaranty.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks