Allow me to introduce myself..

Sundog

I liked a comment on a different thread from a member of this forum who pointed out that you only have one chance to make a good impression, and you should introduce yourself if you are going to post. Well imagine my embarrassment, I have already posted without offering this courtesy...

My name is Brad Reimer, we have had our cottage on Peacock Point near Nanticoke since about 1987, and I have been fishing the east half of Lake Erie quite regularly since then. Back in the old days we used to catch and release smallies in the outflow of the Nanticoke power plant until our arms ached, and then we'd head back to our side of the point and bob up a mess of perch for eating. The fishing down our way has been poorer the last 10 years or so, for a variety of reasons as I am sure you all know.

I have always enjoyed ice fishing on Long Point Bay since that time as well - it always seems to be good fishing over there when there is enough ice to walk out. Have been using this forum for some years now for fishing reports, and I commend Stomp, Big Dave, and all the other Lake Erie locals too numerous to mention who have provided such excellent reports on the fishing and the conditions over the years.

Hi Brad....Joel here...also have a place on Wilcox Dr in Peacock since 1964....dont go much in winter...but summers we are always around.......have a new black Legend....hope to see you out and about come spring/summer.

Joel...

Hey Joel - We're at 68 Wilcox. Started out as a cottage originally, but my folks live there full-time now so I'm down there as much as I'm able, winter or summer. We'll have to get together and compare notes over a beverage this summer. I think maybe you already know my Dad (Bob Reimer) - do you fish out of Lake Ontario with your rig, and did you used to run a charter?

Hello fellow east ender. We'll all need to get together and compare notes next year. @chefboyardee is a Peacock guy on the site as well as Joel. I'm sure there are a few more guys from the Nanticoke area on 6-8 as well. You guys both live on the same street, small world, big lake. We're east of you on Hoover Point. A stones throw from Peacock by boat. I agree the fishing isn't what it was at the Hydro plant, but actually I think it's better for Walleye and Pike now our way. It was hit and miss outside Selkirk Provincial Park for perch this year, usually a go to spot for yellows as you said.

Edit, notice how I invited myself for a libation!

Ha - I'm always willing to ply my fellow anglers with drink if there's a chance it will loosen their tongues on their secret hotspots!

I had heard that the fishing for 'eyes had improved in the last few years, but we sold our larger boats and don't rig and plane the big water anymore, just fish the shoreline these days from a small craft. Now if there was somewhere nearby where you could jig for walleyes near shore, that would interest me very much. I have tried without much success.

Here is an interesting question for all you Nanticoke area boys: remember a few years ago when for one whole summer, there was a small city of boats fishing that little shoal west of Peacock, about half-way between the tip of the point and the end of the shipping dock by the power plant? Perch fishing was killer in that spot just for that one summer. But I had never seen a boat in that spot before that summer, and haven't seen one there since (thought I've tried to fish that spot lots of times since, with no success). I find it weird: why was that such a good spot for just one summer? And how did everybody know to go there, just for that one summer? Is there something I am missing here? Any insights?

Hey Brad....we're at 56, the cottage with the double lot...grandfather bought it 64, year before i was born....not sure if i know your Dad....we almost definitely knew the people in your place before your Dad...the old-timers are all gone for the most part now...,my brother also owns the empty large lot next to the guy with the loud Harley on wilcox. If im not mistaken, thats across the street from your Dad...or its in the other direction....either way....nice to meet u neighbour! Friday the 13th's are usually kinda busy around our place.... never had a boat before now, but lovin every minute of it!! I did ok at the mouth of the creek by selkirk park in july...Keep in touch and im sure we'll find the time to drop a line or lift a lager come summer.

WTP...whose gonna catch all the yellows if we're all perched on land staggerin about? lol

Peace to you, your Dad and family

Last edited:
Hey Brad....we're at 56, the cottage with the double lot...grandfather bought it 64, year before i was born....not sure if i know your Dad....we almost definitely knew the people in your place before your Dad...the old-timers are all gone for the most part now...,my brother also owns the empty large lot next to the guy with the loud Harley on wilcox. If im not mistaken, thats across the street from your Dad...or its in the other direction....either way....nice to meet u neighbour! Friday the 13th's are usually kinda busy around our place.... never had a boat before now, but lovin every minute of it!! I did ok at the mouth of the creek by selkirk park in july...Keep in touch and im sure we'll find the time to drop a line or lift a lager come sum

WTP...whose gonna catch all the yellows if we're all perched on land staggerin about? lol

Peace to you, your Dad and family

Hey Joel, I resemble that remark!

Brad no reports of shoreline Pickerel here. A few caught by a pal in relatively shallow water Bass fishing which is a good sign. Pike as well on a close by shoal surrounded by good weed growth almost straight out from Hoover PT. Need to be careful in this area, rocks come up fast, you know that I'm sure. Some guys stay away from here like the plague, that can be good too. I feel for the guys that run up on it doing 40 something, an abrupt halt followed by a prop change in the future. We talked about setting buoys, that would be a full time job.

Good weed beds are a nice change from Bloom Algae everywhere.

welcome to the board sit back and be patient and everyone will share when the time is right , and there is fish to be had . enjoy the winter and see you out on the water in the spring or the hard water WHEN ITS SAFE, if you get my drift lol

cheers chefboyardee

Thanks everyone - good to meet all of you!

To Craig - a cold beverage in the fridge sounds like a good reason to visit Port Stanley - invitation accepted!

To Joel - OK I know exactly where you are. We'll definitely have to meet up in the summer and pair some Erie Perch with a nice craft-brewed lager.

Christmas cheer and blessings to everyone!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks