Afternoon perch bite?

jeffbrick

I've always fished Erie Perch in the morning. Haven't been able to get out yet and my schedule is not good for the next while. I may be able to get out for an afternoon/ evening fish but I was wondering what the Perch bite is like later in the day. Any input is welcome. JB.

I love an evening fish. When I had a slip we went out at 7 PM or so for a few hours. I'd make us dinner or grab a burger from Hoovers weather permiting. Sometimes we got fish sometimes it was a nice boat ride and watch the sunset. You can't catch a fish unless you wet a line. I might not go out to the elbow for the big critters with my Lady in the evening but we have hit nice perch in 12 feet of water.

. We were just talking about evening fishing today at Onshore Marina. We never fished for Walleye until after supper on the Ottawa or Nippissing. The lake usually sits down nicely after dinner.

Of course never in an east wind unless it was for panfish, they will hit a rig with a red and white bobber with a piece of hotdog on a hook. Insert winky thing here.

we went out at noon a week ago and had non stop action until 2:30 when we ran out of minnows (4 big scoops).the wife and I were actually glad we ran out.60 big keepers and lots of throw backs. KITCH

we went out at noon a week ago and had non stop action until 2:30 when we ran out of minnows (4 big scoops).the wife and I were actually glad we ran out.60 big keepers and lots of throw backs. KITCH
When it's perch non stop it can be fun and sometimes frustrating. I don't know how Big Dave does it, he must be very organized considering he is dealing with kids and sometimes inexperienced anglers. We have a pretty good set up on my boat, 3 guys 3 minnow buckets, 3 needle nose pliers. A good aim to hit the live wells with the hatches open. I had 2 rods out the other day and probably lost more trying to reel in 4 fish at a time. Perch for us is meat hunting. The sport and skill is in angling for sportfish for this guy. One 10 pound walleye is worth a limit of Perch for me. The fish are there and on the bite or they aren't. But they do taste so good and it can be a blast when you have 2 slab jumbos on 1 line. I need to put a dent on the possession limit before heading out for them again.

Last edited:
When it's perch non stop it can be fun and sometimes frustrating. I don't know how Big Dave does it, he must be very organized considering he is dealing with kids and sometimes inexperienced anglers. We have a pretty good set up on my boat, 3 guys 3 minnow buckets, 3 needle nose pliers. A good aim to hit the live wells with the hatches open. I had 2 rods out the other day and probably lost more trying to reel in 4 fish at a time. Perch for us is meat hunting. The sport and skill is in angling for sportfish for this guy. One 10 pound walleye is worth a limit of Perch for me. The fish are there and on the bite or they aren't. But they do taste so good and it can be a blast when you have 2 slab jumbos on 1 line. I need to put a dent on the possession limit before heading out for them again.

Exactly:)

Dave, I see your new byline. So if I ask you what you mean by the last post that would automatically make me stupid. So if someone on your charter asks you what you mean and that makes your cash paying customers stupid. Did you go to the Steve Jobs school of business practices?

I liked your hot dog comment, thought it was funny and you mentioned organizing, I meant only good:)............oh crap I am explaining my self:oops:

BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I am sure everyone is getting anxious to get out after a few windy days. Are there still lots of minnows to be purchased in Burwell or are they starting the get scarce?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks