Off Topic affordable/quality rain gear

Rob V

looking for suggestions on decent (spring/summer) rain gear that won't break the bank. a few years ago I purchased the canadian tire wet skins suit (I think it's on sale right now) that's okay but I didn't find that it "breathed" very well. If there was any amount of heat involved sometimes I end up just as wet from perspiration. What do you guys use/like ?

My suggestion is to go with the Cabela's guide-ware, yes it is costly at first but when you prorate the lifetime guarantee is ends up being cheap in the long run. I have had mine for 3 years now and it is amazing. They do go on sale so keep your eyes open.

Tight Lines
RT

My suggestion is to go with the Cabela's guide-ware, yes it is costly at first but when you prorate the lifetime guarantee is ends up being cheap in the long run. I have had mine for 3 years now and it is amazing. They do go on sale so keep your eyes open.

Tight Lines
RT
Thanks @Reel Therapy - I don't doubt you're right but I've REALLY gotta swallow hard thinking about spending $500+ . shoulda did it 20 years ago I suppose so I could have spread that cost out over the last 20 years !

I bought Rapala bibs and jackets. They were 150 ish each, which is cheaper than 500.00 and I love them. The only complaint I would have is with the jacket, if it's I a cold rain, and I only wore a t-shirt under it, it feels cold on your shoulders. But if you have a sweater on under, which you should have if its cold..... It's great. Great flexibility, comfort, good amounts of accessible pockets. I got them at xtreme marine. I'm not sure if they still carry them or not.

I bought Rapala bibs and jackets. They were 150 ish each, which is cheaper than 500.00 and I love them. The only complaint I would have is with the jacket, if it's I a cold rain, and I only wore a t-shirt under it, it feels cold on your shoulders. But if you have a sweater on under, which you should have if its cold..... It's great. Great flexibility, comfort, good amounts of accessible pockets. I got them at xtreme marine. I'm not sure if they still carry them or not.

@big rod : I don't know about you but I would definitely need the XL or maybe even XXL these days....those Glad's tend to fit a little small.

Buy the best goretex you can afford. It is exspensive first off but lasts forever. If you also hunt, you could save some money and try just one set of Sitka or kuiu rain gear and wear it for general purpose as well.

I picked up some rain pants from a mountain.hardware store. They are a nylon type material that rolls up to the size of a water bottle. Wore them in a canoe for about 6 hrs in the rain and not a drop went through. I think they are 40 to 60 bucks but handy to just toss in a bag for emergencies. I also bought an "ascend" spring jacket for 150 at bass pro. Its light weight and wearing both items i stayed dry 100%. The jacket rolled up to about that size as well.

I bought the store brand rain gear from Sail when it was on sale. I cant remember what I paid...not a lot. It is very good at keeping the rain out but I haven't used it enough to vouch for breathability. I'm happy with it so far and I have worn it hiking with no complaints.

I may have some cheap gore tex waders you could use as rainpants. They sure as hell are no good as waders. My toes are prunes.

Frogg Togg's Road Toad are less than $100 for a coat/pant set, are super light and pack small, breathable, very durable, and don't restrict movement when worn over other clothing. I have 35,000kms on my motorcycle and have used one set of Frogg Toggs for those kilometers for rainy, foggy and chilly rides on both the road and dirt trails. Still 100% waterproof despite speeds of 120kph+

Picked these up at the Strathvegas Walmart on a clearance for $15ea for spares on my boat,15250471665901163908800.jpg the regular price is$50ea. I have used them for a while & found they are good for the price. I just can't bring myself to spending hundreds of dollars as I usually wreck anything that nice real quick.

Back