Advice needed buying a new boat

Hello all. I am looking into buying a newer boat than what I already have. My question is, if I am planning on fishing in November and December in the Bay of Quinte keeping in mind that some days the outside temps may be in the minus am I better off getting an outboard or an inboard engine. The boat will be kept in heated garage at all times other than the day of fishing. I am looking at Four Winns Horizon 170 with 135HP I/O which will fit in my garage perfectly and offers a pretty deep hull and lots of power. It also has lots of room for 3 people to fish comfortably. Any other boat brands that can be advised would be much appreciated.
Thank you

I bought a 4 winns like that new. Great boat.inboards do mot drain as far as i know.if it gets cold block will freeze up.outboards drain.if your not skiing or long trips a 4 or 6 banger is plenty v8s suk gas big time.

Reactions: CSM
My friends and I take a Walleye trip in mid to late November every fall and have never had an issue with running a 2 stroke outboard. Weather conditions on these trips have been anywhere from -5c to 15c , not including wind chills. Like yourself, the boat is stored in a heated garage and the fuel is treated with gas line antifreeze and stabilizer. I usually top it up with shell V-power before the trip.

(Knocks on wood)

My father-in-law had a Silverline with a 170 hp Merc I/O that was a sealed unit with antifreeze for coolant. They are the only kind I/O I know of that will not freeze up. Other than that I would go with an outboard, they are worry free in the coldest weather.

Well looks like it's unanomous I will look for a boat similar with an outboard. The wisdom bestowed upon me was well taken in especially the first comment about the drive to and from the fishing spot. I love those inboard engines but my useage does not justify the means. Thank you very much everyone I hope to be of some help one day in return.
Cheers

My opinion.avoid force or suziki engines they suck big time.if your buying an older boat pay to have the engine checked first.
You can also get the transom etc checked by a marine survey.they vould look solid but are rotted.(fiberglass)avoid repainted alum boats.also make sure vin number and boat numbers match the vessel papers.do not negogiate untill you see vessel papers.

i/o are the best when they running huh, but if I had a choice go with Yamaha outboard.
looks like the 170 mercruiser wants to not start from sitting for 3 weeks smh .
so I'll be cruising out to with the 9.9 yamaha

I really like Honda outboards, I've had Evinrude in the past and nothing but trouble, one evinrude I bought brand new and it was trouble from day 1.
I have a 1984 Honda 5hp and it works great to this day!

I have the E-Tec-150-H.O. and love it! Great Motor and excellent get up and GO! Sips gas also! Highly recommend it. I also have the 9.8 Evinrude- 4-Stroke beside it and is SO quiet! It is a Tohatsu! Good Luck- Walleyeman!

I have a 2002 115 hp Mercury fourstroke I'm told the top half is Yamaha and the bottom half Mercury back when they where partners 850 hrs on it Either one for me Yamaha or Mercury

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks