Adding trailer guides

Backup camera only helps so much, also need the guides for loading and unloading the boats on windy days.

I have similiar guides on my trailer. My Lund Alaskan is just shy of 19' and can be a bit unwieldy on rough/windy ramp days. The guides put it right on the bunks. You just have to put good padding on the guides to protect the paint. If you want guides to help with backing up, add them to the guides. Much better than the pole style guides.

These guides look like they might be carpeted and even these would be tall enough to help me see while backing up.

I like the high tube style ones better for backing up and driving the boat on the trailer the side ones end up under the water sometimes at some ramps

My only worry with the tube style ones is breaking or bending one of the tubes. Its not an issue most of the time since I launch at North Erie but for the times I launch elsewhere it worries me

never broke one yet and I,ve hit them pretty hard somethimes putting my 18ft searay on the trailer lol I use this style
DSCF24571.JPG

Thanks for the info highhopes, maybe I will check out post style ones now. Just wish I was closer to a cabelas to look at one in person before buying.

Make your own post style?
Measure the distance from the center of the trailer's frame rail, to the widest point of the boat's gunnel rail.
Go to an exhaust shop and buy 2 lengths of 1 & 3/4 inch exhaust pipe and 2 exhaust clamps. Have the exhaust shop put a 90 degree bent in both pipes; the distance you measured earlier; giving yourself maybe an extra 3 or 4 inches, for adjustment sake.
Drill 2 3/8s" holes in the trailer frame to fit the exhaust clamp's U-bolt about 3/4 the way back on the trailer. Wrap the vertical part of the exhaust pipe with that foam insulation wrap, you can get at most hardware stores. Clamp the pipes to the trailer so that the boat will just fit between the two upright poles.

Dan.

Guide.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion Dand just not sure I want to clamp some exhaust pipe onto the sides of a 4 year old shorelander trailer

Paint them up too match the trailer and no one will be the wiser.
Put the money you saved into more tackle.

Dan.

If you want to go with the post style, a slick way is to have the posts made up from either round tube or square, then slide a piece of PVC pipe a bit larger diameter over the metal post. You can use a cap or pin at the top of the metal post to keep the PVC on. The PVC will turn on the metal and wont scratch your hull.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks