Off Topic AC Shiners

Elmerfudd

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
AC Shiners produced well for me this year, especially on a few days where I was struggling to get a bite. Question for those of you that use them: Have you upgraded the hooks to something a little more stout, and if so does it kill the action? Lost way too many fish to the light wire hooks they come with.

I have upgraded a number of them as I use them for salmon in the spring in owen sound so of course hooks get mangled if you get anything other than little jacks. I haven’t had a problem with the action being spoiled on them, but I try to find a size appropriate but tougher hook. If you put big mustard KVD’s (awesome salmon hooks) you’ll probably not like it, but I believe I’ve used some gamakatsu trebles with no ill effects.

AC Shiners produced well for me this year, especially on a few days where I was struggling to get a bite. Question for those of you that use them: Have you upgraded the hooks to something a little more stout, and if so does it kill the action? Lost way too many fish to the light wire hooks they come with.
Have always changed out the hooks with no issues

I replaced the rear hook with #2 red mustard and I had improved hook ups and landed fish. You may lose some action but the trade off was worth it for me

Just got these in the mail the other day to replace my old beat up one. Never replaced the hook's as you can see in the photo. Only used for Walleye, if the Steelhead get off that's a good thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_101550.jpg
    IMG_20230912_101550.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20230901_154422.jpg
    IMG_20230901_154422.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 109
Just got these in the mail the other day to replace my old beat up one. Never replaced the hook's as you can see in the photo. Only used for Walleye, if the Steelhead get off that's a good thing.
Where can you buy AC Shiners @Scotts? Thanks in advance.

I bought a bunch used off a guy and was actually impressed with the hooks,, now I realize he must have swapped them all out... I agree though those shiners have been killer for me the last month. All the fish out of Stanley the last month or so have been fat and spiitting up smelts. There's nothing else that I can see that better replicates the size and profile of those smelt than the 375 shiners. Also I like the 2 hooks as opposed to the 3 on my ripplins and long A's. They are pricy but the finish holds up extremely well and they straight out catch fish

Just got this email from AC shiners.com

It is with great regret and sadness that we inform our loyal customers of the passing of our founder, our father, our friend. We will be closing down the internet site in the next week or so, but wanted to give our wonderful customers early notice. Thank you again for your support and TIGHT LINES.
Arthur has gone fishing!​
So sad.

Just got this email from AC shiners.com

It is with great regret and sadness that we inform our loyal customers of the passing of our founder, our father, our friend. We will be closing down the internet site in the next week or so, but wanted to give our wonderful customers early notice. Thank you again for your support and TIGHT LINES.
Arthur has gone fishing!​

So sad.

I take that means they are going out of business because they only have online, no physical store. I just ordered 6 #375 AC Shiners from their site because they will sell out fast. Several colours already are out of stock just since I looked this morning. If anyone needs some ACs I suggest doing it today. ;)

I've always had great luck with AC Shiners. Everything from flatlining for salmon and rainbows in Lake Huron in the spring to using with downriggers to using with lead core. The perch pattern is my go to on lead core in Lake Erie. I have had no problem changing hooks. I usually match the original hook size and I like to put a red hook on the back. Angling Outfitters has a good selection of AC Shiners. Jeff

Why not sell the company instead of shutting it down?
Any number of reasons to go that route. Don’t worry though, demand will certainly spark a revival of the brand like it did with Bomber lures. Beware though it may take a few years and the reproductions may not be quite the same and be more costly and be made of plastic. Get ’em while you can if you’re a fan. In my limited personal experience real wood lures will out-fish their new-age plastic replacements almost every time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks