Fishing Report a fine day on the bay

anonymoose

IMG_20160709_120507.jpg
IMG_20160709_171758.jpg
So much fun with the family today on the bay. We had to cancel the trip last night due to the wind and had to cut out early today for the same reason.

I was outfished by my wife, 6 year old, and 4 year old. I did reel in more than my 3 year old by a narrow margin. Dad is better suited to baiting and netting anyway!

Arrived 0715 left 1030. Cleaned fish and had friends over for the fish fry for dinner. What better way to spend a day!

Got a couple laughs for my old boat but left a few jaws agape with the stringers :D

-moose

That did the old heart good to hear your story..kids & wife had a GREAT day...Red.. PS. Brings back memories...

Good looking haul you had there. Great report....sounds like you guys had one of those days that you'll remember forever. Well done!

Sounds like a great day! What was the water temp in the bay? Looks like the bass are staying a little longer in the bay.

Nice catch!!!
IMHO, the smallmouth out of Erie and Lake St.Clair are as good eating as the pickerel and ALMOST as good as the perch!
Part of the secret to good tasting smallies I learned fishing with John Sim @ Chante charters....its zippering a fillet.
Heres a vid with walleye, but bass are the same.....

Before you zipper the fillet, put them in a bowl of cold water and ice for 10 mins. You'll see a line of fat around the edge of the fillet...it pulls off when chilled. Zip the fillets, and with the blood line and fat gone, the meat is as good as it gets.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Nice catch. Hope you enjoyed the fry with your friends and family. As long as water is cold fish do taste better.
Great day with the family. Enjoy.

@Zeeter I don't make a habit of bringing a thermometer with me :D I just bring a few shiners and the pole I bought 20 years ago, which the kids know a 'dad's good pole' which is off limits!

I know, I know, fish finders have a temp display but I run a pretty modest set-up for now. Maybe I will try one out next year.

All good comments on eating smallies. My advice is to keep it cold, keep your hands and knife clean, and enjoy your catch! I've eaten my fill of just about every fish in Ontario waters and everything on land and in the sky I've got my hands on. Lots of species have a place on my table, and they have all had qualities I've enjoyed. I can tell you that with smallmouth on the table my kids lick their plates clean!

We were out today and brought another stringer home to resupply the stock our happy guests consumed last night. We are lucky to have this resource not far from home!

Like I said I have eatin alot smallmouth bass from LPB with my family..but the taste was not appetizing to me.. is my opinion.....what I do find really nice to read is how you shared the bass fishing activity with the whole family... now that part makes it so much family fun. it also brings back some great and enjoyable memories when my mom and dad lived there in Booths Harbour.So now I get it!!!With my family me and bro were in our mid 20s and workin so we got together on the weekends enjoying the excellent sm bass fishin and then swimming at Pottahawk. Then when the last week of July rolled around I had finished up and got my fill with the great walleye fishin out of port stanley.. I then brought my fishin boat down and parked it at my dads driveway at booths harbour. We then would go out to the very end of Long Point and fish for the plentiful salmon...now that was a blast...my mom took videos with her camcorder of my dad and brother and me reelin in chinooks up to 19 lbs and a few trout in the mix...I still have the VHS tapes of the family fishin on my dads boat for bass and on my boat with the stanley walleye fishin and LP salmon fishin..I treasure those memories so...

Don't forget to take pictures of the kids holding up the bass...i bet at least one of them will carry on the tradition(y)

Last edited:
I guess the bass out of LPB are different than the ones out of LSC and the shoals on Lake Erie, cuz those ones are as good eating as anything....and better than the big hog Erie walleye. The walleye on LSC can get soft in the summer, but not the SM. Clean the SM properly and they're great table fare. Then again, I'd eat pike over a lot of other fish...but its all in knowing how to clean and prepair them.

Nice catch!!!
IMHO, the smallmouth out of Erie and Lake St.Clair are as good eating as the pickerel and ALMOST as good as the perch!
Part of the secret to good tasting smallies I learned fishing with John Sim @ Chante charters....its zippering a fillet.
Heres a vid with walleye, but bass are the same.....

Before you zipper the fillet, put them in a bowl of cold water and ice for 10 mins. You'll see a line of fat around the edge of the fillet...it pulls off when chilled. Zip the fillets, and with the blood line and fat gone, the meat is as good as it gets.

In that video it's hard to tell what part he is throwing away ?

Hey there @mooner...i just re edited my message...and in my opinion is in there....Thanks Tim

Hey there @anonymoose...I will say those are chunky small mouth in the photo..for me I would have to respool my 8lb up to 10lb test for setting the hook on those ...nice quality size!

You end up throwing away the thin strip from the middle of the fillet that contains the bloodline. Do it with a bass fillet and you'll see. Incredibly easy and makes the world of difference with taste.
Wonder if filleting silver bass that way makes them anymore edible lol

Back