A Day Of Firsts On Lake Ontario Sunday

Helmut

We left Paris at 5am and in the water at 7 in Port Dalhousie. Water was dead calm with little breeze. Hit some fog on the way out to 100ft mark. Not a boat in site at first. As we trolled along started to see the pack at 130ft mark.
No bait of fish being marked and the first hit came on a dipsey. Boated a nice little 4 pound coho see in pick. Spin doctor orange flasher and matching atomix fly. Kept him for smoker and carried on. Next hit was on rigger at 80 feet. Very small coho(the spoon was bigger). He took all of the treble hook in. With some careful surgery he was released and took off like a little rocket.
Our next hit was on the same dipsey and fly combo. Another nice coho 6 pound(no pick sorry)Had to be careful in the pack so no time to take photos.
So now the firsts> We encounter a rather large wave in the 200ft mark running against the current. First mate noticed it first. She saw white caps coming at us. It was about 4ft high with some more behind it. Actually took a bit of it over the bow. I suspect it was a rip tide,or cold water upwelling but not sure.
The we saw our first ever condom float by>REALLY!!!
Then I had a dipsey fire and a big guy on>NOT turned out to be a large ball of plastic caught on the fly.
The amount of garbage floating around is incredible.
Next on the way in we encountered this beauty of a schooner sailing past. It was a steel boat. I have never seen a steel boat under sail like that.
All in all though a good day to be out.
Message of the day>take your trash home don't throw it overboard or on the ground.

Nice report, some of those first I hope I never have to experience! That schooner sure is sweet!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks