Off Topic 4.3L points to sierra EST distributor

Kbreks

After a long search i have finally got a new distributor ordered to get rid of my points system. My question is, i do not have a ballast resistor but have read that mercruisers tend to have a resistor wire instead from the ignition switch to the coil. Does anyone know if the wire has said resistance built into the engine side of the harness or the "boat/cluster" side of the harness. Hoping to not have to replace more wire than needed. 1985 mercruiser 4.3L GM engine.

now I'm an old guy, but here's what I remember. The ballast resistor was in place in the form of resister blocks and resistor wire. The blocks were on Chryslers and were the little white block that cracked every time you opened the hood when it was raining. The resistor wires are marked and you should be able to identify.

The reason they put a resistor in place was to step down the voltage to the points so they wouldn't arc and burn out quickly. When you turn the key, the resistor is by-passed and you get full battery voltage, then when started, releasing the key then engages the resistor to step down the voltage.

Now with all that being said, do you even need one with electronic ignition or is it built into the distributor?

there should be some folks that have already lived this that can get more specific, my experience is automotive and not marine.

now I'm an old guy, but here's what I remember. The ballast resistor was in place in the form of resister blocks and resistor wire. The blocks were on Chryslers and were the little white block that cracked every time you opened the hood when it was raining. The resistor wires are marked and you should be able to identify.

The reason they put a resistor in place was to step down the voltage to the points so they wouldn't arc and burn out quickly. When you turn the key, the resistor is by-passed and you get full battery voltage, then when started, releasing the key then engages the resistor to step down the voltage.

Now with all that being said, do you even need one with electronic ignition or is it built into the distributor?

there should be some folks that have already lived this that can get more specific, my experience is automotive and not marine.
You are correct. I do not need the step down in voltage. So i need to bypass the resistor wire. But i cant eliminate it because i believe it runs other stuff. After a couple hours research i think i have to just run a new wire to the 12v on the ignition to my new coil.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks