2004 75hp mercury 4 stroke question.

jtrain

Hey guys, looking for some advice.. I have a 2004 75hp merc 4 stroke and the tach has not worked for a while now. I seem to be going through batteries far to often. So upon some research I have found that the the problem may be the rectifier or voltage regulator? It seems that when running the charging volts on my dash gauge read 14 volts. The battery guy I deal with thinks it's an over charging problem. Anyone else have any ideas? Or know of a good mechanic near london, I absolutely refuse to take it to hully gully. Thx for help guys.

Hey guys, looking for some advice.. I have a 2004 75hp merc 4 stroke and the tach has not worked for a while now. I seem to be going through batteries far to often. So upon some research I have found that the the problem may be the rectifier or voltage regulator? It seems that when running the charging volts on my dash gauge read 14 volts. The battery guy I deal with thinks it's an over charging problem. Anyone else have any ideas? Or know of a good mechanic near london, I absolutely refuse to take it to hully gully. Thx for help guys.
probably guys closer.....but massels marina in New Hamburg is a realy good merc dealer....good machanics there

On aircraft, normal charging range is 13.8 a 14.2 volts, so I don't think overcharging is an issue. I would look at a drain on the battery when all switches are off. A faulty switch or contactor can drain a battery with minute amounts of current going through it even if it's in the off position. Try physically disconnecting the ground wire off the battery and see if the battery still goes dead. If it does, battery is the issue, if it doesn't go dead, look for the current drain on it.

On aircraft, normal charging range is 13.8 a 14.2 volts, so I don't think overcharging is an issue. I would look at a drain on the battery when all switches are off. A faulty switch or contactor can drain a battery with minute amounts of current going through it even if it's in the off position. Try physically disconnecting the ground wire off the battery and see if the battery still goes dead. If it does, battery is the issue, if it doesn't go dead, look for the current drain on it.
Good advice grassy, my concern is that the tach isn't working and it is tied into the charging system (rectifier)? My battery guy from magna charge said the batteries I brought back are low on acid which is a tell tale sign of over charging, according to him... I asked him about it just being drained down due to something left on, light, fish finder etc and he said no. They are sealed batteries as well.

I would definitely recommend Rob at Extreme Marine as well. He's done great work on my old Merc.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks