Advice Needed...Thanks

lovetrout

I have been fishing hastings for years....always done the long boat ride out of Burwell...which I really don't have a problem with. What options do I have for a boat load of 5-8 year olds? Can I launch in Burwell in the early morning and fish for a little bit....then pick up a bunch of kids on the hastings beach? I have never been down hastings drive. My wife is going to drive the kids down. Is there parking on hastings beach? Is it accessible? Options? Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider it myself because the lake could kick up once your out there. It could become a very dangerous situation trying to unload a boat load of kids at the beach with the surf up.

Hastings parking is very limited and most of the access to the beach is across private property. If you go another mile down East of the causeway you can land on the public beach along Woodstock Ave. We do it quite often to stop at a friends cottage but only if it's really flat, beaching is a real fast way to swamp your boat if there is any waves following you.

Last edited:
There is parking along Hastings to pick some people up, but like G.Mech said, the public beach just past Hastings is a better option. Its only a few mins past Hastings and the kids and wife would have a better time on the beach waiting for the pick up as compared to sitting along Hastings waiting. We aslo anchor off the public beach in the summer and spend the afternoon swimming and hanging out on the beach....you shouldnt have a problem if the Lake is flat.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but what size boat do you have? You know your boat if you have been going out to Hastings for years you know how hazardous it can be. I sure wouldn't bring little ones out there into the water to board a boat. That under tow can be deadly when there is a onshore wind. Is it worth it? If it is blowing up like today how are you going to get them back onto the beach? Personally I think it's nuts.

If the lake is flat and a good day, why not give the kids a boat ride from Burwell.

Boat ride (x2) + catch fish = awesome dude in their eyes

Yes the older kids I take out to hastings all the time. The younger ones would like to catch some fish but will last for 8 minutes probably. Just trying to get everybody involved. I have a 21' tahoe w 220 so I understand what the trip for burwell to hastings offers. I was just interested in my options. So basically its nuts to ever pull up to a beach and get on or off a boat? I will take the 1 or 2 miles east option and let them play on the beach etc. and let the wind, waves and weather dictate if they get picked up or not. Thanks for the concern and the answer guys!

You mentioned you are an experienced boater..and your taking out a number of children out on your boat..Well then just a reminder of having all your safety equipment on board... including a life jacket thats fits each child properly and make sure they wear it. I also would highly reccommend having another adult on board giving you an extra set of hands and eyes to help you with your responsibilty for a safe trip for everyone. I hope your boat is well maintained. I would write down a check list for your boat and another list of things needed, from water to sunscreen for your trip. Don't forget to pick your day after looking at the marine weather forecasts. You need to have light winds with no threat of thunderstorms, meaning a day with low humidity. Right or wrong you are the captain and it is your responsibilty especially in a court of law. What should come to mind is your liability boat insurance coverage is substanial and your premium has been paid up to date. I also reccommend calling your boat insurance company and have your liability coverage acknowleged and bring to there attention that you intend to take out these children for a trip out on your boat. I would ask your broker or insurance agent to document the day you intend to go out on the water. You will be asked what are there full names and date of birth. I hope you have a head or a portable toilet when they have to use the bathroom. I would forget about the fishing!!! You have all summer to fish, not a good idea at all..more eyes have been lost due to fish hooks...I would remove the fishing equipment from the boat for safety and to give you more room and make it as comfortable as possible for everyone. Now with your common sense approach you can now focos on taking care of your crew and make your trip to be fun and safe on a nice summer day.

Sounds like you know what ur doing lovetrout. Anchor off the public beach down here and pick the young ones up weather permitting.....I'm sure they love the 8mins of perch action.

Better bubble wrap them while you're at it :) Eyes lost to fish hooks? Never heard of it, unless Walleyes. Take out all the fishing equipment before you go fishing? That will make the fishing a lot tougher o_O Just pick a good day. Lots of flat calm days out there. Keep it fun

LOL....thanks for all the good advice boys! Never hurts to be reminded how precious the cargo can be. I regularly take out kids on the lakes and grand river tubing so I have enough jackets...that fit...for all. All safety equipment is up to standard and the boat is a 2009 that has regular maintenance performed on. VHF too. I was just saying a friend and I would fish the morning bite....then head to the beach....and weather and waves and wind permitting...would then pick up the kids to try some fishing off of hastings. THE KIDS WANT TO CATCH PERCH....that dad catches. Going to the public beach past hastings. Thanks G. Mech, Ninja and Mic for all of the information you provided!!!!

Hey lovetrout...its sound like you got your boat and equipment up to snuff and most important a common sense approach. There is alot to think about when your the captain...I understand now that the kids want to catch some perch....hey that could be good putting more good food on the table..Most important some kids will appreciate you teaching them how to catch fish when they get older. I know I have. When i first was reading your post I thought you were taking out a class room full of children and I got on the defensive... I got a little carried away with my earlier reply... I had a few friends drown over the years, I also had a friend loose an eye to a fish hook...hooks have found there way into human flesh countless times...teaching your kids safety with using hooks is a must...I would remove the hooks from the rods when your done fishing...I use a thicker guage ziplock bag to keep the perch rigs&hooks in so there tangle free ready for your next outing....Good luck

parker.jpg madison.jpg alex.jpg morgans perch.jpg Hey boys....it all worked out in the end. My friend and I launched out of burwell this morning at 6am....man that line was crazy behind us. We caught a lot of perch before we headed to long point provincial park to pick up the kids. Minor snag when R and R ran out of minnows so My wife, sister, brother in law and 4 kids stopped at Lake Erie Bait and were taken care of nicely. (they didn't bring cash so they let them come back and pay after) We pulled up to the beach....kids (in life jackets and adults all hoped in boat and off we went. Kids caught 70 perch and last almost 2 hours. Crazy!
Had so much fun with the kids too. We would reel the fish up until it was 5 feet below water then let them finish it up!
This pic is my daughter's first perch! Thanks for all the info and safety reminder!morgans perch.jpg

Last edited:
Great to hear....glad you guys had a great time. I counted 55 boats out there this morning as I sat on the deck having my morning coffee. My daughter and I decided to just spend the day swimming and getting some sun as we have a half dozen bags of fillets in the freezer still. But boy was it hard to resist joining the pack out there.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks