Fishing Report Port Stanley quick limits July 16th

Derkd9

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Got to the ramp at 445am slowly made my way out to where I fished Monday
The fish were where we left them at the same depth and dipsy settings
Lost a couple that were vaguely biting the spoon..
lost a rainbow near the boat before we could get a net at him
One walleye puked up this massive thing I got a picture of it below. 🤷🏻
In the end kept our 12 and tossed back just as many all by 8am
Lost a whole dipsy when something big smacked the line knot must of come loose or there was a nick in the line.. who knows

Anyways by the time a was able to re tie the line due to being interrupted by fish on it got back in the game to help catch a couple of fish but still no more rainbows.. so I guess I need down riggers to enjoy the rainbow fun as they don’t pay much attention to my dipsy set ups. But the walleye love them hahah
Hot spoons today were blueberry muffin and horny road and these two other purple spoons
Spoons aimed for 35-40 in the water column caught walleye in 59-64fow

IMG_8938.jpegIMG_8940.jpegIMG_8943.jpegIMG_8957.jpegIMG_8958.jpegIMG_8966.jpeg
View attachment IMG_8986.movIMG_8983.jpegIMG_8999.jpegIMG_9005.jpeg

Good fishing and report @Derkd9 . I very seldom put a line in the water on a rigger.

Bows hit dipsys without hesitation when the right lure and wiggle/wobble glide past.

Ran six dipsy the other day and the two bow caught provided a really nice dipsy rush. 🌻

Dipsies are the best way to go Derek! I leave my riggers at Home! Exactly what hvy haul said is right on. Dipsies for me my friend! Great looking photos and I love those neon lites! Enjoy your meal Derek. Thanks for posting what looks like an AWESOME Day. P.S.- If you do get a rainbow on with using Dipsies- ALWAYS- Replace your Leader- Lines. Better safe then sorry!

Derkd9 You can catch Bows on your dipsy's but you have to run them higher up than you do for Wally's. I have caught them the last few weeks with my dipsy at 65 feet back on #3 with a number 1 dipsy with the ring on. Also have caught the bows on the slider with the main line down 43 feet so the slider would be about half way down. The bows are usually in the top 25 feet of water.

I think the lack of bows is just a Port Stanley thing so far this year. Probably have almost a dozen trips so far out of Stanley and although walleye fishing has been awesome right from the start,, the bows have been really tough to find for myself and guys I fish with as well. I rarely run baits below top 30' of water unless I need to. So I stay in the top half of water column... Big contrast from last season where rainbows seemed to be abundant at Stanley

I think the lack of bows is just a Port Stanley thing so far this year. Probably have almost a dozen trips so far out of Stanley and although walleye fishing has been awesome right from the start,, the bows have been really tough to find for myself and guys I fish with as well. I rarely run baits below top 30' of water unless I need to. So I stay in the top half of water column... Big contrast from last season where rainbows seemed to be abundant at Stanley
Monday when I was out on a friends boat we had 7 on line
Only 4 made it into the boat
But out of that 7 only one hit a dipsy
They would of all been running around the same depth. They were hitting anything purple

Hopefully it's getting better. Haven't been out for a bit as I was away for a week but rainbows have been tough for me. I don't have riggers either but have never had issue with bows hitting on dipsies or short lead core lines (which are my favourite presentation)

Alewife are an invasive species that took off because they had no real natural predators once they got into the great lakes. Lake Ontario had it the worst. IIRC that was the big motivation for stocking the lakes with Pacific salmon. Now there is a predator to control the alewife and humans prey on the salmon.

Alewife good thing to see or bad? Opinions?
Not sure.
As far as i know there not a native species to the lake. Not sure what alewife feed on and what they take away from native fish & baitfish to the lake but I'm pretty sure they are the fuel salmon crave. I'm sure there is a up side & down side to them, there always is.
Walleye are feeding on them so match the hatch & break out the big Mag spoons. Lol.

Mag silver back black and green spoons or black and blue slay em on Lake O because of how they resemble a Alewife. Worth a try?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks