Need some Dipsy Guidance

Until you get a tangle and have to remove 100ft, or get a fray 60’ in and have to remove 61’. Then what, respool the whole thing? It’s just not worth the trouble.
Yah go out to 40 or 50ft of water and let the amount it says to hit bottom and see where it actually hits bottom
I generally not fishing dipsys deeper than 50ft
Also right now trolling speeds are pretty fast and I think that chart is good for 2.5mph
Which is slower then I ever fish

Until you get a tangle and have to remove 100ft, or get a fray 60’ in and have to remove 61’. Then what, respool the whole thing? It’s just not worth the trouble.
never had to worry about removing 100 ft of line in a tangle so I can't answer that one.. but like anything it's not for everyone, I'm sure some people don't even use reel counters or fish finders... it's just another level of detail to dial in and gives me more confidence using dive charts when my reels are calibrated... but to each is their own!

It's really no trouble to do it properly when you re-spool. If you lose 100 ft of line. It's only out by one or two percent, so it's still reasonable. If you're fishing with a half full spool you're kidding yourself if you think your line counter is accurate. Most people run a bunch of mono backing and then 100 or so yards of braid on their dipsy reels so no, you don't have to re-spool completely if you get a nick. Worst case you change the braid.

Most people run a bunch of mono backing and then 100 or so yards of braid on their dipsy reels so no, you don't have to re-spool completely if you get a nick. Worst case you change the braid
I am one of those people..
20lb big game for backing to fill 85% of the spool then top it off with 100yrads of 30lbs braid.
Running up to 4dipsy diver rigs at any given time and the most I ever had to cut off was about the 10-20ft.. and that's only at the start of the season so I have a fresh "working" section of line and knot. 33trips on the lake last year and never had to replace or trim any more then the 20ft I cut off at the start of season.
If I do have to replace line it's only ever the 100yards of braid like you said.. which only happenes about every 4years.
after 2 years of use I'll strip the braid off and turn it around a put in back on.. fresh 200ft of braid that has never seen light.

•• My two cents on the subject of "dipsy diver guidance"••..

Use to calibrate all my reels but i Cant say i calibrate my reels any more but i do keep all my reels FILLED TO THE TOP OF THE SPOOL.. every reel I owned over the years is most accurate with a full spool. I assume the calibration of the counter would be set to reading line going out off a full spool.

My settings for dipsy divers 90% of the time are 0 & 1.5.
On 0 setting using #0 dipsy I figure 3:1 ratio and for #1 dipsy 2:1..with 30lbs braid.
That's just my way and not to say it's the only way or even a accurate way as for as that goes.. just rough figures I found useful over the years to get me to where I want to be running..
Of course many variables such as currants, water resistants, line diameter, speed and even bait used will alter my figures plus or minus a foot or 2 but the way I use dipsy divers this seems to be rather accurate within a couple ft.

75ft of line out pulling #0 dipsy set on 1 with a RRF puts me down 20ft trolling at a speed of 2.7mph. Pulling a colorado blade harness on the same set up runs it at 18ft. I run this set up over the rock reefs and humps in the shallows at nanticoke so I have a pretty good idea of where it swimming. You really need to know where your baits are fishing over there other wise your going to be tying on a new bait every time you hit bottom, Vary Sharp unforgiving rocks.

SO!.. 50% dive for every foot of line out for #1 dipsy(no ring). 30% for #0 dipsy(with ring).
No charts and I know it's all ball park figures & my own personal findings but it works for me the way i set them & send out.. on 30lb braid..at 2.5-3mph pulling a variety of baits.

You do some turns and your chart is useless, lots of times doing turns triggers bites Inside rod crashes outside rod speeds up and rises . Size of your Dipsy maters.

There’s so many variables and I assure you my reels haven’t been tested or checked for calibration so when reading my reports keep that in consideration when referring to them when out fishing might want to try a different setting since the info I provide is useless 🤣

I run 50 to 60 lb. Test and try and find 300 yard spools. If I get any area of a tangle cut and tie together, to dam expensive to respool with new

There’s so many variables and I assure you my reels haven’t been tested or checked for calibration so when reading my reports keep that in consideration when referring to them when out fishing might want to try a different setting since the info I provide is useless 🤣
Well details do matter, maybe not so much for pulling walleye out of Lake Erie but for other things it's really important. You don't really have to sight in your gun either, if you just intentionally aim a bit high and left a little you may hit the target most of the time or you can just close your eyes and blast away, eventually you'll hit something. I figure if you're going to spend good money on quality equipment you may as well tune it up so it works as intended but not everybody thinks the same way. Calibrating your reels within a reasonable amount is simply eliminating one very critical variable so your results are repeatable and comparable with others.

Last edited:
You have to play with the depths. Have a general idea of the depth, then change until you get hits. We started 60' out on 3 setting, using braid, estimated the depth around 35-40' and got hits. Then the bite slowed, and went 80' out and finished out the second half of our limits.

Exactly. Charts are simply a guide to get you close to the depth range you're looking for and come in handy when you have a few different size divers on board.

As for line counters, I don't think many people rely on them for letting out an exact amount of line required to match dipsy and lure dive charts. It has more to do with repeatability and ease of putting your presentation back into the strike zone.

Probably already been said but........

Everything is a point of reference not a specific equation.

Simple:

Ensure your dipsy tracks away to the side and not across the back of the boat.

Let out your line according to the chart and wait, for a little bit. If nothing happens, lengthen your line and wait again. If you do this repeatedly and nothing happens, start over with less line out than the prior first measure, you may have been too deep from the start.

I have made my own chart for the method I fish on the boat. No with/without, types of line etc.

One thing specific I have done is I set up 6 braid rods, 2 of each colour across from each other, each colour spoiled the same on both sides, so if a certain colour rod on one side is hooking up, the same colour rod on the opposite side can be easily duplicated to double the depth presentation.

Have fun and hope you catch fish. 🌻

That’s how I do it and then I go I step further. Once calibrated I pull 100 yards off of that spool and tie in a very small barrel swivel and the spool the 100 yard back on. Next season I strip line to the swivel and then add new and calibrate. Then you backing diameter never changes.

Well details do matter, maybe not so much for pulling walleye out of Lake Erie but for other things it's really important. You don't really have to sight in your gun either, if you just intentionally aim a bit high and left a little you may hit the target most of the time or you can just close your eyes and blast away, eventually you'll hit something. I figure if you're going to spend good money on quality equipment you may as well tune it up so it works as intended but not everybody thinks the same way. Calibrating your reels within a reasonable amount is simply eliminating one very critical variable so your results are repeatable and comparable with others.
Completely different
Would always site in my gun before shooting anything

Not going to injure a walleye pulling spoons too high or too low

stoned brian bell GIF by Weezer

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks