Not much catching

chesapeakeman

I've been out fairly regularly fishing from the pier at Port Burwell and Port Bruce, usually from afternoon until dark. I see alot of people out fishing. Neither they or I have been catching much. A few white perch or sheephead, and no cats lately for me. Maybe I'll try the night shift for cats. No boat, so I fish from shore where there is public access. Good luck and good fishing.

I've been out fairly regularly fishing from the pier at Port Burwell and Port Bruce, usually from afternoon until dark. I see alot of people out fishing. Neither they or I have been catching much. A few white perch or sheephead, and no cats lately for me. Maybe I'll try the night shift for cats. No boat, so I fish from shore where there is public access. Good luck and good fishing.
There were a couple catfish caught off the end of Pt Bruce pier yesterday. The people who caught them were using worms. Decent size, nothing huge, but decent. Both were going to come home with me but the bigger of the two straightened out the clip on my stringer and got away, so I let the other one go too.

I saw some photos of some nice catfish that come out of Port Bruce.. further up the channel tho not at the pier

Thanks Trevor M, I'll keep after them. I like Port Bruce, it seems like it should be decent for cats. Good luck with the yellow perch fishing there.
As I told someone on the pier on Monday, all totaled, I've been fishing Port Bruce for at least 30 years (with a 23 year hiatus when I was out west. Had we not moved out west I can honestly say I'd have been fishing it my entire life. It holds sentimental meaning to me and given my physical ailments that I deal with, it's close, accessible, and easy for me to sit or stand on as necessary.

My dad taught me how to fish when I was 4 in the creek across from NEM in what used to be Happy Hollow campground where my grandparents and an uncle each had a campsite. First fish I ever caught was a sucker that was almost as big as me (at least it seemed like it was when I was 4 ;) ) off the dock in front of their site which was right beside that great big tree that stands by itself in the yard close to the creek where you can still sort of see where the boat launch was when the campsite was there, (where the house on stilts on the corner is.) As a kid I caught way too many catfish to count sitting on that dock or in the back of their neighbors boat while it was docked. Under the bridge is a great place to try for cats. IF you have a shallow draft boat, a kayak or a canoe, going further upstream will also produce cats, and over the years, some have been huge channel cats in slightly deeper holes.

Off the pier, especially at this time of year, also produces some pretty big cats, and often more than one species of cat. (Bullheads The two that were given to me on Monday that I let go/bent my stringer and got away on Monday, one was about 4lbs, the other about 7lbs. Nothing compared to these pictures of some that have been caught in recent years, and I have yet to see one as big as any of these yet this year when I've been there, but it's early, and they are out there. The only one of those in these pictures I caught was the one IN the net. The rest I just helped land them with my net.

While I don't target them anymore, IF I do catch one, especially at this time of the year, depending on how much it weighs, I might keep it. Last year at this time, I caught 4, approx 5lbs each and kept them, and was given 8 more varying from 4lbs to 8lbs by a friend who doesn't know how to clean them even though I showed him how to do it. He said he just couldn't be bothered and didn't know how to cook them anyways. I reminded him of what I used to do for living and gave him a simple recipe. He caught and gave me another one later that day. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 20lb catfish caught off the pier July 12 2021 (1).jpg
    20lb catfish caught off the pier July 12 2021 (1).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20lb catfish caught off the pier July 12 2021 (3).jpg
    20lb catfish caught off the pier July 12 2021 (3).jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Big ugly catfish caught May 14 2019.jpg
    Big ugly catfish caught May 14 2019.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 30
As I told someone on the pier on Monday, all totaled, I've been fishing Port Bruce for at least 30 years (with a 23 year hiatus when I was out west. Had we not moved out west I can honestly say I'd have been fishing it my entire life. It holds sentimental meaning to me and given my physical ailments that I deal with, it's close, accessible, and easy for me to sit or stand on as necessary.

My dad taught me how to fish when I was 4 in the creek across from NEM in what used to be Happy Hollow campground where my grandparents and an uncle each had a campsite. First fish I ever caught was a sucker that was almost as big as me (at least it seemed like it was when I was 4 ;) ) off the dock in front of their site which was right beside that great big tree that stands by itself in the yard close to the creek where you can still sort of see where the boat launch was when the campsite was there, (where the house on stilts on the corner is.) As a kid I caught way too many catfish to count sitting on that dock or in the back of their neighbors boat while it was docked. Under the bridge is a great place to try for cats. IF you have a shallow draft boat, a kayak or a canoe, going further upstream will also produce cats, and over the years, some have been huge channel cats in slightly deeper holes.

Off the pier, especially at this time of year, also produces some pretty big cats, and often more than one species of cat. (Bullheads The two that were given to me on Monday that I let go/bent my stringer and got away on Monday, one was about 4lbs, the other about 7lbs. Nothing compared to these pictures of some that have been caught in recent years, and I have yet to see one as big as any of these yet this year when I've been there, but it's early, and they are out there. The only one of those in these pictures I caught was the one IN the net. The rest I just helped land them with my net.

While I don't target them anymore, IF I do catch one, especially at this time of the year, depending on how much it weighs, I might keep it. Last year at this time, I caught 4, approx 5lbs each and kept them, and was given 8 more varying from 4lbs to 8lbs by a friend who doesn't know how to clean them even though I showed him how to do it. He said he just couldn't be bothered and didn't know how to cook them anyways. I reminded him of what I used to do for living and gave him a simple recipe. He caught and gave me another one later that day. :ROFLMAO:
Beautiful catfish there @Trevor M that have been caught there,👍👍 and I especially “love” ❤️ that red lawn chair in your first photo!! Is it your red chair?? 🤔😙 lol 😝 👊👊 😉 I am looking forward to meeting up with you again out on the pier this summer. 🎣🐟🐟👍🙂

Last edited:
Just a thought @chesapeakeman and which is that the last time when I was at Port Bruce last Friday,June 2/23,I noticed this sign their at the Port Bruce Pavilion,about a Catfish Derby on the 2nd Sunday in June,and I am just assuming that it is this year,even though it doesn’t have the year of this Catfish Derby on the sign. It is being run by the Optimist Club of Aylmer. Perhaps check out their website,for they have last years information on this Catfish Derby on it. If this Catfish Derby is happening on the 2nd Sunday of June of this year,it would be a great opportunity to find out on where the catfish are being caught in Port Bruce,and what bait is mostly being used,and the location where most of the catfish are being caught on Catfish Creek,and also the tackle being used,etc.,etc. Again,just a thought,and tight lines & good luck if you or anyone else is fishing this Catfish Derby,and hopefully a winning 🥇 Catfish ON!! 🎣🐟👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpeg
    IMG_0847.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    372.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Beautiful catfish there @Trevor M that have been caught there,👍👍 and I especially “love” ❤️ that red lawn chair in your first photo!! Is it your red chair?? 🤔😙 lol 😝 👊👊 😉 I am looking forward to meeting up with you again out on the pier this summer. 🎣🐟🐟👍🙂
That's not even me holding the fish!!! I took the picture, but I didn't catch it. That's John and that's HIS chair. (he was there the day you came fishin with me on the pier, but he wasn't there the other day when I saw you.) In fact, the only catfish I actually caught in those pictures is the one IN my net in the third picture. I'm not sure yet when I'm going again. Could be tomorrow, could be Friday, might be both depending on what, if anything, my wife has in mind for Friday. Of course it'll also depend on how I'm feeling. Not there today because as I said in another post, my 'everything' is bothering me a little more than usual, which generally happens when the weather changes slightly, or is about too.

Just a thought @chesapeakeman and which is that,the last time when I was at Port Bruce last Friday,June 2/23,I noticed this sign their at the Port Bruce Pavilion,about a Catfish Derby on the 2nd Sunday in June,and I am assuming that it is this year,even though it doesn’t have the year of this Catfish Derby on the sign. It is being run by the Optimist Club of Aylmer.Perhaps check out their website,for they have last years information on this Catfish Derby on it. If this Catfish Derby is happening on the 2nd Sunday of June of this year,it would be a great opportunity to find out on where the catfish are being caught in Port Bruce,and what bait,etc., most catfish angler’s are using. Again,just a thought,and tight lines & good luck,and hopefully a winning 🥇 Catfish ON!! 🎣🐟👍🙂
Yeah that's happening this coming Sunday. As far as catfish baits go, I've heard of several things working. Worms of course. Minnows occasionally. Bacon. Rotting chicken livers. Rotting chicken breasts cut into thin strips to fit the hook. The more it stinks, the better it works, or so I've been told.

That's not even me holding the fish!!! I took the picture, but I didn't catch it. That's John and that's HIS chair. (he was there the day you came fishin with me on the pier, but he wasn't there the other day when I saw you.) In fact, the only catfish I actually caught in those pictures is the one IN my net in the third picture. I'm not sure yet when I'm going again. Could be tomorrow, could be Friday, might be both depending on what, if anything, my wife has in mind for Friday. Of course it'll also depend on how I'm feeling. Not there today because as I said in another post, my 'everything' is bothering me a little more than usual, which generally happens when the weather changes slightly, or is about too.
I kind of thought so @Trevor M that it wasn’t you holding the catfish,but I can’t see why you would not be able to catch a large catfish like that! 👊👊😉 You have the odd bowfin catch dialed in,and a large catfish is next. 🎣🐟😉👍🙂 I am watching the weather for my next trip out on Lake Erie again from out of my boat,and these winds should lighten up later this week,but off the pier it isn’t usually a big concern about the winds there,like for fishing from out of a boat. I will bring some deworms & catch some minnows as well,the next time that I will be fishing off the Port Bruce pier. Perhaps we will meet up again. . Tight lines my friend,if you do get a chance to go fishing tomorrow,or Friday,or even on both of those days. 🎣🐟🐟👍😎

A guy I went to school with lives in the house beside the one on stilts and he caught a 20lb catfish. His grandparents used to own the campground that you are talking about.

I kind of thought so @Trevor M that it wasn’t you holding the catfish,but I can’t see why you would not be able to catch a large catfish like that! 👊👊😉 You have the odd bowfin catch dialed in,and a large catfish is next. 🎣🐟😉👍🙂 I am watching the weather for my next trip out on Lake Erie again from out of my boat,and these winds should lighten up later this week,but off the pier it isn’t usually a big concern about the winds there,like for fishing from out of a boat. I will bring some deworms & catch some minnows as well,the next time that I will be fishing off the Port Bruce pier. Perhaps we will meet up again. . Tight lines my friend,if you do get a chance to go fishing tomorrow,or Friday,or even on both of those days. 🎣🐟🐟👍😎
Two things Red.

I HAVE caught catfish like that and bigger off the pier before. I've also caught close to if not 10lb + sheephead off the pier. I've caught a 20lb carp of the pier (see picture) and that day was the last day I went without taking my landing net with me. :banghead: I had to beach it and thankfully there was someone there to help me do it because with my back and hips, beaching it was NOT the best of ideas. :inpain:

Second thing, wind plays a MAJOR factor in when I go or don't go sit on the pier. Out of the NW and N is generally ok no matter how strong it's blowing, but a strong westerly, NE, E or any southern direction from which it might be blowing will potentially have the lake breaking over the pier and there are some days when it's doing that where you simply can't sit on the pier because of how often and how much it's breaking over the pier. Thinking I might go tomorrow, but haven't made a decision yet and I'm still not sure on Friday. Will have to talk to my wife and see what she has in mind for Friday this week. Last two weeks she was more than happy to let me go because she had some sewing to do that required me to be out of the way, and the easiest thing to do in such situations is for me to go fishin. :)

Attachments

• Port Bruce May 10, 2017.jpg
    Port Bruce May 10, 2017.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Pt Bruce Sheephead May 22 2017.jpg
    Pt Bruce Sheephead May 22 2017.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 14
A guy I went to school with lives in the house beside the one on stilts and he caught a 20lb catfish. His grandparents used to own the campground that you are talking about.
I have a vague memory of meeting the people who used to own that campground when I was a kid. Probably have met the guy you went to school with as well, but it would be so long ago now, that neither of us would likely remember.

Two things Red.

I HAVE caught catfish like that and bigger off the pier before. I've also caught close to if not 10lb + sheephead off the pier. I've caught a 20lb carp of the pier (see picture) and that day was the last day I went without taking my landing net with me. :banghead: I had to beach it and thankfully there was someone there to help me do it because with my back and hips, beaching it was NOT the best of ideas. :inpain:

Second thing, wind plays a MAJOR factor in when I go or don't go sit on the pier. Out of the NW and N is generally ok no matter how strong it's blowing, but a strong westerly, NE, E or any southern direction from which it might be blowing will potentially have the lake breaking over the pier and there are some days when it's doing that where you simply can't sit on the pier because of how often and how much it's breaking over the pier. Thinking I might go tomorrow, but haven't made a decision yet and I'm still not sure on Friday. Will have to talk to my wife and see what she has in mind for Friday this week. Last two weeks she was more than happy to let me go because she had some sewing to do that required me to be out of the way, and the easiest thing to do in such situations is for me to go fishin. :)
Trophy fish for those species for sure @Trevor M and nice going!! 👍👍 I agree about the offshore winds being the best for pier fishing on Lake Erie. The other winds for pier fishing are fine,as long as they are light. 🎣🐟👍🙂

As far as bait for cats in that creek it's pretty tough to beat jumbo shrimp under a float. Like stated earlier there's quite a few upstream in the logjams and deep holes at bends.

Tried Port Bruce under the bridge, in the rain no less, as well as the channel and Port Burwell up the creek in front of the parking lot ( no boat, I fish from shore). Tried shrimp and chicken liver, using slip sinker and circle hook. Lots of little fish pecking at bait (gobies probably), but no cats. Lots of people out using piceral rigs and worms, sometimes minnows, not catching much of anything. Really slow? Usually fish afternoon until dark. Maybe the end of the pier would be more productive.

Tried Port Bruce under the bridge, in the rain no less, as well as the channel and Port Burwell up the creek in front of the parking lot ( no boat, I fish from shore). Tried shrimp and chicken liver, using slip sinker and circle hook. Lots of little fish pecking at bait (gobies probably), but no cats. Lots of people out using piceral rigs and worms, sometimes minnows, not catching much of anything. Really slow? Usually fish afternoon until dark. Maybe the end of the pier would be more productive.
Unless the wind chases me off the pier, you will rarely, (almost never) see me fishing by the parking lot in Pt Bruce. I'm always out by the light tower fishing off one side or the other. Sometimes I might even try off the end.

I can't and won't guarantee you that you'll hook into a catfish, or any fish for that matter, but that's where I do my fishin and although it does happen once in a while, it's rare that I get skunked. I usually catch something, even if it's not what I'm hoping to catch.

That's why I've said, come out there, ask for me. I'm not hard to find. If I'm not there, usually someone who knows me is, and they'll let you know I'm not there. If I am there, I'll answer. I've replaced the kitty litter pail in that one picture with a new white peavy bucket with a 68 sticker on it. Same set up tho and while I may not be sitting in my chair, I won't be to far away. (I have to get up every once in a while to stretch my back and hips or I may not be able when I have to leave.) and yes, pickerel rigs with worms or minnows and a 1 oz-2 oz sinker (seem to) work best. That's what everyone who has fished that pier for a long time uses, and they use it because it works when generally, nothing else seems too.

In all the years I've fished that pier, I have never seen anyone catch anything throwing a lure. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just means I've never seen it while I've been there and remember, it is still very early in the season. We're only just past the first week of June. There have been some fish caught, I've had some pretty good days, but it's early so there's also been a lot of "hit and miss" days mixed in there where I've put in a lot of time, but have come home with just a few, or caught something, but let it go when I left because I'm not going to bring home just one perch unless its a true "jumbo" sized one which by my definition means it 11+ inches.

As this month progresses, hopefully it'll pick up. It usually does and each time I go has been different. The first 3 times I went this year I only got one perch each time and let it go. 4th time I went I got 2. Then I had those 2 decent days, a Wed and a Fri and that week I came home with 51 total. The following week, not as good. I went 3 times, came home with a total of 16 for the week, and few whites and silvers for my neighbors. Monday last week I got 2 and a bunch of white and silvers (some were given to me, some I caught) and then I came home with what I reported on Friday. Also had 2 catfish given to me that had been caught, but the bigger one broke the clasp on my stringer and got away, so when I left that day, I let the smaller one go too. (that was Monday) Friday there were 2 big cats caught out by the tower in the middle of the afternoon on the east side of the pier.

Keep trying. As I often say to people, you have to be there when they are, that means having a lot of patience, and the only guarantee I'll give is IF you don't put a line in, it's a certainty that you won't catch any.

Attachments

• May 27 2021 First fishing trip of the year (8).jpg
    May 27 2021 First fishing trip of the year (8).jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Me sittin on the pier June 2 2023 puttin sun slop on.jpg
    Me sittin on the pier June 2 2023 puttin sun slop on.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Unless the wind chases me off the pier, you will rarely, (almost never) see me fishing by the parking lot in Pt Bruce. I'm always out by the light tower fishing off one side or the other. Sometimes I might even try off the end.

I can't and won't guarantee you that you'll hook into a catfish, or any fish for that matter, but that's where I do my fishin and although it does happen once in a while, it's rare that I get skunked. I usually catch something, even if it's not what I'm hoping to catch.

That's why I've said, come out there, ask for me. I'm not hard to find. If I'm not there, usually someone who knows me is, and they'll let you know I'm not there. If I am there, I'll answer. I've replaced the kitty litter pail in that one picture with a new white peavy bucket with a 68 sticker on it. Same set up tho and while I may not be sitting in my chair, I won't be to far away. (I have to get up every once in a while to stretch my back and hips or I may not be able when I have to leave.) and yes, pickerel rigs with worms or minnows and a 1 oz-2 oz sinker (seem to) work best. That's what everyone who has fished that pier for a long time uses, and they use it because it works when generally, nothing else seems too.

In all the years I've fished that pier, I have never seen anyone catch anything throwing a lure. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, just means I've never seen it while I've been there and remember, it is still very early in the season. We're only just past the first week of June. There have been some fish caught, I've had some pretty good days, but it's early so there's also been a lot of "hit and miss" days mixed in there where I've put in a lot of time, but have come home with just a few, or caught something, but let it go when I left because I'm not going to bring home just one perch unless its a true "jumbo" sized one which by my definition means it 11+ inches.

As this month progresses, hopefully it'll pick up. It usually does and each time I go has been different. The first 3 times I went this year I only got one perch each time and let it go. 4th time I went I got 2. Then I had those 2 decent days, a Wed and a Fri and that week I came home with 51 total. The following week, not as good. I went 3 times, came home with a total of 16 for the week, and few whites and silvers for my neighbors. Monday last week I got 2 and a bunch of white and silvers (some were given to me, some I caught) and then I came home with what I reported on Friday. Also had 2 catfish given to me that had been caught, but the bigger one broke the clasp on my stringer and got away, so when I left that day, I let the smaller one go too. (that was Monday) Friday there were 2 big cats caught out by the tower in the middle of the afternoon on the east side of the pier.

Keep trying. As I often say to people, you have to be there when they are, that means having a lot of patience, and the only guarantee I'll give is IF you don't put a line in, it's a certainty that you won't catch any.
Hey, I know that spot @Trevor M !! lol 😂 and that new 68 sticker on your bucket,looks fantastic!! 😉👍🙂

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpeg
    IMG_0845.jpeg
    157.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 6
Thank's for your reply Trevor M. Persistence pays, being there when they are. Also I'll be out at the end of the pier, with the pickeral rig beefed up for cats. Good fishing.

Thank's for your reply Trevor M. Persistence pays, being there when they are. Also I'll be out at the end of the pier, with the pickeral rig beefed up for cats. Good fishing.
No problem @chesapeakeman. Sometimes a bit of encouragement accompanied by a little experience being shared can make a difference. I've been fishin that pier for 30+ years wrapped around the 23 years I was out west, and I've been sitting on it every year at least 25-30 times per year since I moved back to this area 15 years ago. I've been 11 times already this year since May 11. I wouldn't call myself an "expert" as things always change, and you have to adapt from year to year, sometimes day to day, to those changes, but I do know it very well.

Good luck and remember, you're allowed 4 hooks per line. I personally only ever use 3. The two that come with the rig with the bottom one slid down so the hook sits an inch or two above the sinker, and the third I attach to the sinker. Most catfish I've caught have always been on the bottom or middle hook. I have rarely caught one on the top hook which makes sense because catfish are primarily bottom feeders.

I NEVER use the gold hooks that come with the rigs fishing off the pier because they're too soft and a big catfish, sheephead, carp might (and have) bent those cheap gold hooks straight. I use eagle claw hooks, #4's for perch. I'd likely go up a couple sizes if I was only targeting catfish although I have caught them with the #4's I use.

IF I didn't have other things to do today, (that obviously at the moment I'm not doing) I'd be there fishin today since most of next week isn't looking so good due to the wind forecasts. Rain doesn't bother me, but those winds combined with rain we're supposed to get are gonna keep me off the pier until Thursday, maybe Friday unless, as usual, they're wrong. As I said before, I don't put much faith in any forecast more than 2-3 days out at most. So we'll see. I might be there earlier in the week depending on what actually happens weather wise. ;)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks