Off Topic No more ethanol free gas?

The one I go to on Indian Line in Hagersville has a few self serve pumps, most of the time I'm buying $200 to 250.00 worth of gas fill my F150 and some gerry cans. Tankers are there every day. never had a problem, been going there for years. At saving $010, to 15 cents a litre, why wouldn't you.
Absolutely FF I do the same filling up with about 200 litres each time I go. I go to Bear Creek Gas Bar on Iona Road only 5 minuets from home. They have 20 pumps offering regular unleaded, premium 91 and high-speed diesel. Also they even have a car wash and a Subway on premises. :)

AF1QipNrY3MN6YXZgnKlRkTELbOIPO9AO2ruBcNPVv05=s1360-w1360-h1020

Asked a young lady working at the shell here in Brantford if there was ethanol in the v-power. She said they were instructed last year to say there was 10% ethanol in all fuels sold there. She went on to tell me it was a government requirement to have 10% ethanol in all their blends.

Most gas stations at Six Nations pump 0TE gas.. a hand full pump Bradshaw and some other flavor.
I'm sure most gas stations on the rez's near & west of London or any rez in onterio for that matter is going to be majority 0TE gas as well these days..they really fanned out in the past couple years across all reserves in onterio.

I have personally never had problems with how 0TE gas ran in my engines but I will say from my experience that it burns much faster and running regular vs. high test made not a difference pulling my boat in terms of , km per liter. It would cost me the same $ to fill it back up at the end of the day no matter which grade.. only difference was cost.. But on the other hand I see trucks and mini vans loading up the ass end with countless jerry cans on a regular basis of the stuff.. I can only guess them folks have had better results with it then I have.
Personal findings also lead me to believe that I get much better KM:Liter when running Bradshaw vs. 0TE fuels.. at least 25$ difference at the end of day most trips.. × 30 trips a season adds up.

There is a new fresh tanker everyday..some places twice a day so it should be fairly fresh no matter which flavor you choose to consume.

Any station pumping Bradshaw gas or such alike around Six Nations usally have a sticker proudly displayed on the pump..some stations display "fuels from I/0 nanticoke".

I couldn't tell you if any gas around here is ethanol free any more.. The only shell gas station went belly up last year.

Givin the endless choices around Six Nations to chose from I'll always seek out the stations that pumps Bradshaw or such alike when it comes to filling the boat or any of my small engines and only ever use the highest grade offered.
For me the "bang for the buck" aint there when it comes to 0TE fuels.

I just tested regular 87 bought today from my usual place on Six Nations and while there certainly is ethanol in it now, it went up by 2mm out of 50mm on the measurement so that works out to %4 ethanol. Not a laboratory quality calculation but it does show there is some but not a lot IMG_2006.jpeg

Last edited:
99% of my gas comes from Townline on Indian Line... Its OTE fuel... NEVER a issue... I run it in everything i own... And the self serve is 1 cent cheaper and open 24/7... Anything that sits for awhile or is seasonal gets one ounce per 10 litres of KLOTZ...

Last edited:
Don't worry, by 2035 we won't be allowed to own ANYTHING gasoline/internal combustion powered anyway.:confused:

The higher octance is a waste of money and only needed if required by the manufacturer. The ONLY reason I ran 91 octane in the small engines/outboards was for the "zero" ethanol. I do not own any high compression ratio engines that would require the higher octane. So I guess now I can save some $ by putting 87 octane in everything.

I will add to the discussion by suggesting "Star-Tron" as a fuel additive.

Oh and if you have further interest, "Project Farm" youtube does some great experiments! Warning, you will start watching this guys videos and then wonder where the last couple hours went.

Last edited:
Don't worry, by 2035 we won't be allowed to own ANYTHING gasoline/internal combustion powered anyway.:confused:

The higher octance is a waste of money and only needed if required by the manufacturer. The ONLY reason I ran 91 octane in the small engines/outboards was for the "zero" ethanol. I do not own any high compression ratio engines that would require the higher octane. So I guess now I can save some $ by putting 87 octane in everything.

I will add to the discussion by suggesting "Star-Tron" as a fuel additive.

Oh and if you have further interest, "Project Farm" youtube does some great experiments! Warning, you will start watching this guys videos and then wonder where the last couple hours went.
I’m starting to talk like the guy on Project-farm. Love that channel

I have been getting Rez Gas for 22 years down the road from here in Iona Station where I live and have never had a single issue.
The two on the left are premium from Bear Creek Gas bar, no ethanol. Paid $1.55/L. Been filling up my boat there for a couple years now, happy to have proof. The one on the right is regular gas with ethanol, I think from Wampum Gas Bar

Attachments

• PXL_20230525_012817518.jpg
    PXL_20230525_012817518.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 39
The two on the left are premium from Bear Creek Gas bar, no ethanol. Paid $1.55/L. Been filling up my boat there for a couple years now, happy to have proof. The one on the right is regular gas with ethanol, I think from Wampum Gas Bar
What’s the tall tail sign that there’s ethanol in the one on the right? Is the cloudy bottom the ethanol?

What’s the tall tail sign that there’s ethanol in the one on the right? Is the cloudy bottom the ethanol?
It's actually pretty easy to test. Just put about 100 ml of water in and then draw a line with permanent marker. Then put about 200 ml gas and shake the crap out it. If there's ethanol it will mix with the water, looking like there's more water all of sudden. That's the second line I drew on the far right bottle just to demonstrate the water line went up with the ethanol. If there's no ethanol it's like oil sitting on water and the water line stays the same. It's a cloudy because I didn't wait long enough for it to settle. This was video was helpful for how to do it

Shell in London is all ethanol free regardless of octane rating.
You can test it yourself by adding 50ml of gas to a empty clear water bottle. Draw a line at the level of the gas. Next add 50 ml water to the bottle and shake. Once the gas/water level settles, ethanol free gas will not have moved from the line. Ethanol gas will have risen above the line as ethanol (alcohol) is hydroscopic (absorbed) the water.
I've done this test on shell v-power and found it has 5% ethanol. Lower than others but worth the price? That's what I've been asking myself

Briggs @ Stratton ethanol test kits on Amazon for around $7.

Does seafoam combat ethanol?
You can look up the ingredients of any product By looking at the CAS numbers. Seafoam list the primary ingredient as petroleum distillates which is likely kerosene, followed by a hydrocarbon solvent. Last thing listed 10-30% isopropyl alcohol. Companies often don’t give you percentage of ingredients as they are proprietary but you can get a good idea. Basically Seaform is kerosene for $20.

You can look up the ingredients of any product By looking at the CAS numbers. Seafoam list the primary ingredient as petroleum distillates which is likely kerosene, followed by a hydrocarbon solvent. Last thing listed 10-30% isopropyl alcohol. Companies often don’t give you percentage of ingredients as they are proprietary but you can get a good idea. Basically Seaform is kerosene for $20.
K-100 better at removing alcohol? I threw ~20l of regular into a 170l tank a couple weeks ago and my engine performance is paying for it

K-100 better at removing alcohol? I threw ~20l of regular into a 170l tank a couple weeks ago and my engine performance is paying for it
No product is ‘removing’ alcohol. It’s not really the actual alcohol that is the problem. It’s the fact alcohol will absorb water(humidity) from the air/environment. Products will suspend the water in the gas and then it can be burned. I’m suspecting a lot of these ‘tune up in a can’ products use a drying agent like methyl hydrate (alcohol), thus pulling out the moisture in the fuel.

I was bumming around today and needed some fuel so I grabbed a jug of regular gas from Townline Variety & Grocery (the nice new one) and one from Southpaw gas just up the road on the Indian Line (Six Nations & Norfolk County Townline). I know for certain that Townline gets their fuel from OTE and that Southpaw gets theirs brought in by Davis fuels from the Imperial Nanticoke refinery so I figured it would be good to see what was up. I figured that they would both have 10% ethanol or so but was shocked at my results using my aircraft ethanol tester which actually gives you the percentage of ethanol.

Here's what I found:
  • OTE regular fuel from Townline is 6% ethanol
  • Imperial Nanticoke regular fuel from Southpaw was ZERO (0) % ethanol!!
  • In order to verify the aircraft fuel tester, I did the old quicky ethanol Y/N test by adding a couple of drops of food colouring to each fuel in a test tube. As is quite obvious in the photo below, the fuel with ethonol turns to a pinky red solution (the ethanol combines with the water based food colouring) and the ethanol free fuel just separates into the water/fuel phases.
I'm not sure why or how this is the situation but the Ontario clean fuels act doesn't really apply on the reserve so maybe they are following the federal guidelines which are still less stringent than Ontario's. At any rate, I guess I gave up on the ethanol free regular too soon, I will be more vigilant and keep hunting down the good stuff for a while longer. I haven't tested the premium grades yet since I don't really buy them but maybe I will do that for fun later this week.

Here are the photos of my results in order:

6% from Townline
0% from Southpaw
Quicky colour test
fuel tester (which can be purchased for 10 bucks from Aircraft Spruce: https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/pages/ps/fueltesters/gasoholTester.php

PXL_20230529_162043221[1].jpgPXL_20230529_184147142[1].jpgPXL_20230529_184559122.MOTION-01.COVER.jpgPXL_20230529_184840972.MOTION-01.COVER.jpgPXL_20230529_184855601.MOTION.jpg

The Old Cut still has ethanol free premium fuel and pickle fries to boot. Topped up with both today 😃

Attachments

• IMG_20230531_164222_1.jpg
    IMG_20230531_164222_1.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20230531_164226.jpg
    IMG_20230531_164226.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 5
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks