Off Topic No more ethanol free gas?

spincast

Getting ready for the first outing of the year, and figured I'd check before I made the trip to my local CTC for premium. In my googling, discovered that ethanol free is now banned at Ontario gas stations. Guess my subscription to Seafoam just doubled, as the price did, too. Glad I bought 10 last year when it went on sale. Used to be all kinds of stations listed here :https://www.pure-gas.org/ON
If you have an older boat, keep an eye on the fuel lines. https://boattest.com/article/beware-dangers-ethanol

I was just at the on route in tilbury and the Canadian tire premium said 0 ethanol.
Maybe it’s old signage

It is. That's where I used to get mine. CTC confirmed in writing to a few folks who contacted them directly. CTC also just made a nation wide agreement to change fuel suppliers. It will still wear the CTC brand, but will actually be Suncor (Petro Can)

Shell in London is all ethanol free regardless of octane rating.
You can test it yourself by adding 50ml of gas to a empty clear water bottle. Draw a line at the level of the gas. Next add 50 ml water to the bottle and shake. Once the gas/water level settles, ethanol free gas will not have moved from the line. Ethanol gas will have risen above the line as ethanol (alcohol) is hydroscopic (absorbed) the water.

I was at Costco the other day (Barrie) and noticed there hi test now has up to 10% ethanol.
So much for a discount on ethanol free... was saving at least 10 cents a Liter.

Unbelievable. I just called 2 of the closest shell stations, one is still ethanol free, the other one has ethanol in the V power. What a kick in the nuts about the CT gas. I love filling up on my Mastercard and getting that sweet 5 cents a litre! Between the vehicle and the boat at the end of year pays for most of my boating related bits and parts!

Did the water 50ml and gas test the other day..pioneer ultra 94 was ethanol free and so was esso 91 ... passed the test ... what havoc that ethanol does to small engines running the reg gas ....to bad true fuel costs a fortune...

Attachments

• 20230507_142347.jpg
    20230507_142347.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 65
Well this thread is confusing. What I'm hearing under new Canadian Fuel Regulations since 2022 all gas now contains 10% ethanol regardless of grade and is required by both federal and provincial regulations. If it hasn't happened at your gas station it will shortly is the word. This was off the Petro Canada website and the other is an answered inquiry from Shell Canada. The new regulations will require the ethanol content to rise each year until it reaches E15 by 2030.

Do we put ethanol in our Petro‑Canada gas?

Yes, all of our grades of gas, including our Ultra 94 high octane fuel , contain up to 10% ethanol content. This is required by federal and provincial regulations.

Shell Canada

Enquiry: Ethanol content in V-Power gasoline
Response:
Good morning, Starting in 2022, all gasoline grades sold in Canada will be blended with ethanol, including premium gasoline (V-Power 91 and 93) according to proposed regulations (10% ethanol Federal Clean Fuel Regulation for 2022, Low Carbon Fuel Requirements and need to reduce the carbon intensity of fossil fuels, which ethanol is one mechanism to reduce carbon intensity).
All the provinces are switching slowly, and If you see the label at the pump, “Gasoline may contain up to 10% Ethanol” is already happening.

Regards, Sylvie Martin Shell Canada,
Technical Support Email: shelltechnical-ca@shell.com

e4IY19BpcrDDuXDi0Gqh8_knh9Qb7bGhbGOxx3oRiG8.jpg

Thanks @Wave Runner. I didn't have the time or energy to refute all the opinions. It's is legislation, and the last of the non ethanol fuel was phased out, is being phased out over time. I frankly don't trust the guy at the pumps to know it has been changed, or to update the stickers. I have no comment for those who have "tested" their local pumps, but I have spoken to a couple tanker drivers who deliver to the stations.
Either way, each can chose to believe what they wish. For me, like I said, more seafoam and annual inspection of the lines for deterioration caused by the ethanol, which is a completely different issue than the fact ethanol attracts and retains water.

Regardless what the fuel suppliers say, I always carry a spare 1L. of K-100. Myself and former marine clients have never had a water/fuel issue since we started using it several years ago. What ever stabilizer you use, be sure to treat each tank full and carry a spare. One can purchase a lot of gear for the price of 1 sea-tow. Just my opinion.

Thanks @Wave Runner. I didn't have the time or energy to refute all the opinions. It's is legislation, and the last of the non ethanol fuel was phased out, is being phased out over time. I frankly don't trust the guy at the pumps to know it has been changed, or to update the stickers. I have no comment for those who have "tested" their local pumps, but I have spoken to a couple tanker drivers who deliver to the stations.
Either way, each can chose to believe what they wish. For me, like I said, more seafoam and annual inspection of the lines for deterioration caused by the ethanol, which is a completely different issue than the fact ethanol attracts and retains water.
You know I have run E10 gas in my Honda 90 for 23 years with zero issues and I do all trolling with it. I also run it in my Toro zero-turn mower, my Honda push mower and Echo grass trimmer for many years and also all my vehicles ever since ethanol gas came out, again with zero issues. I really don't know what all the hoop-la is about regarding ethanol gas and there seem to be a lot of myths.

I was just at the on route in tilbury and the Canadian tire premium said 0 ethanol.
Maybe it’s old signage
I woudn't trust any sign or anyone at the station for that matter. Most of the time when I ask I get a deer in the headlights look. When I press them I get "I think" and an opinion based on nothing. When I press furture stating that "you really don't know, do you?" they always say, No..lol People are so predictable.

I own at least 15 gas powered pieces of equipment... I'm sure I'm forgetting some. All of them run the cheapest gas I can find.

I've had 1 issue with a push mower that wouldn't start due to water in the tank. Dumped the gas and good to go. I've bought tons of stuff that didn't run due to water in the gas. It will happen eventually, just be prepared to deal with it. A fuel/water separator is a great idea in a boat.

Just my experience. You shouldn't have 20+ year old fuel lines, regardless of ethanol. Maintain your shit.

Here is the regulations... Gas stations in Ontario don't have to hit 10% Ethanol until 2024
In the link you posted, it says 10% as of 2020 and as far as i know that is in fact the case based on some discussions with a friend in the fuel business. Also, this is an average across all blends and there are some exemptions for designated marine, aviation, and high octane fuels so there is still some ethanol free gas around if you can find it and afford it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230511-092556.png
    Screenshot_20230511-092556.png
    279.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks