Princecraft Pro series.. live well pump

FlyingViking

First issue on the boat since I owned it! I’m excited about this journey!

It’s a 2000 princecraft pro 164. Anyone now where the livewell pump may be located?

It usually pumps water into the basin like a trooper with the “whirring” noise. Yesterday? Silence…..

Please don’t tell me I need to rip floors up?

The livewell/deadwell is an eeeesential part of my walleye “blood letting” process.

Can’t find anything online about replacement or even location.

Anyone here have a clue ?

Most of them are thru-hull style pumps through the transom. You likely have to remove some interior panels at the back to access it unless you're an ambidextrous long armed monkey and can reach through the 4" access port in the splash well. The fuse is likely in the switch panel at the dash.

Thanks G. So it’s gonna be at the transom end?

I checked the fuse on the dash. It’s fine
My 2003 pro series was in the back. It had a Tsunami pump that you could just change the motor cartridge in but it's not easy to get to unless you remove the panel across the back but it's not that hard.
If you can see in this picture, I split the vertical back panel into 3 pieces and hinged the bottom of the middle section for storage and access to the bilge. Lots of wasted space back there. Yours may be different but I think it's similar.

IMG_1773.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks dude….. I really appreciate the help here. I had nooo idea where to start. Boat is so old nothing was on line.

Much appreciated and can’t wait to get at it!

I absolutely love this thing… I’m sold on the princecraft stuff… I’m actually amazed at how a boat like this could last as well for being 23 years old. They made them well that’s for sure. I wouldny have any issue buying an older princecraft after this “green basterd”..

I relatively new to owning my own boat (maybe 8 years and this is my 3rd). But I do enjoy working on them. This is the first task the green-basterd offered up, and I’m happy to learn.

Last edited:
i had mine done by Proctor Marine in Simcoe on my 99 Crestliner 4 years ago... If my memory is right they only charged me $180...

@FlyingViking...I changed mine about 5 years back on my 2000 Sylvan. It was a little tight getting at through the 8 inch access port in the splash well but not too bad. I removed the pump to see the brand name then found same one available on Amazon which made it easier to change out.

PXL_20230508_123646270.jpg

unless your very competent, pay the money. I never really like screwing around with anything that can sink your boat.

when I bought a 16' Misty Harbor, it had an aluminum floor which I thought was great until I left it in the water the first night and it was half sunk the next morning and my bilge couldn't keep up. Seems at the factory when they put the floor in someone put a rivet into the drain line for the live well. I wanted a new boat but refused and they fixed it, never the same after.

@FlyingViking... You could always cut a good access hole and install one of these. I might be inclined to do that if I ever have to get back in there for a pump or bilge replacement. My arms still hurt putting in the last one through an 8" hole. :inpain:

@FlyingViking... You could always cut a good access hole and install one of these. I might be inclined to do that if I ever have to get back in there for a pump or bilge replacement. My arms still hurt putting in the last one through an 8" hole. :inpain:

I'd be a bit nervous putting something like that inside the splash well, I know they're water tight in theory but it still seems a bit risky in a spot like that. By removing about 10 screws from the back panel, it comes right out and you have great access to everything they hid in behind there at the factory. That said, the screws are usually buried in the carpet which makes them a bit hard to find, they need finishing washers.

I'd be a bit nervous putting something like that inside the splash well, I know they're water tight in theory but it still seems a bit risky in a spot like that. By removing about 10 screws from the back panel, it comes right out and you have great access to everything they hid in behind there at the factory. That said, the screws are usually buried in the carpet which makes them a bit hard to find, they need finishing washers.
I totally understand where you're coming from. My back deck has the battery compartment as well as a second live well in it that prevents me from getting to it even if I remove the panel. The only other way is to remove the entire top of the deck which I did once in order to get a new steering cable through but sure don't want to do that act again. Hopefully the live well pump never breaks down again. I don't know why boat manufacturers don't make it accessible as well as the gunnels especially where everything runs through that's a nightmare to access. Obviously, the designers are not fisherman. LOL!

Update! : Located the pump… tried the “tappy tappy” to see if something was jammed or seized. Nuthin….

Tried poking at it through the transom hole with tube cleaner brush. Nuthin

Wire connections were checked and double checked the fuse. Nuthin

Went an purchased a circuit tester probe for 30 bucks. Probed the wire one time, and yes, power was evident. Must be a fried pump…

Walked away to the tool-box to put the probe away,,, walked into the “drinkin room and poured myself a 1:00 bourbon to think about the replacement…. and when I got back to the boat with a bourbon in hand……. The pump was whirring away.

It was either the single probe of the wire that got it working, or the bourbon. I will never know..

Dead-well is back in business!!!!!

Update! : Located the pump… tried the “tappy tappy” to see if something was jammed or seized. Nuthin….

Tried poking at it through the transom hole with tube cleaner brush. Nuthin

Wire connections were checked and double checked the fuse. Nuthin

Went an purchased a circuit tester probe for 30 bucks. Probed the wire one time, and yes, power was evident. Must be a fried pump…

Walked away to the tool-box to put the probe away,,, walked into the “drinkin room and poured myself a 1:00 bourbon to think about the replacement…. and when I got back to the boat with a bourbon in hand……. The pump was whirring away.

It was either the single probe of the wire that got it working, or the bourbon. I will never know..

Dead-well is back in business!!!!!
Well I guess that is good news but you better keep the bourbon handy just in case.....I have to think this problem may return.

I agree. Now that I know where the pump is,,, and what it takes…. I think I will be replacing it anyhow. Now it doesn’t look like such a task my nightmares made it.

Thanks all!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks