Fishing Report SUNDAY PIKE

could that be a muskie? noticed a little red on the rear fin. I don't know other than colour how to tell them apart.

Agree with Stomp. One other way of telling that you can see from this photo if you zoom in is the pores on the underside of the jaw- 6 or more on a musky (fewer on pike)

could that be a muskie? noticed a little red on the rear fin. I don't know other than colour how to tell them apart.
That's a pike. I've always found the easiest way to tell the difference is pike generally have a similar pattern of white spots as shown below, and muskie have dark spots/bars.

The picture I attached is of a muskie ( a small one only weighed maybe 3lbs) caught in someone's minnow net while trying to catch minnows June 30 last year off the pier in Pt Bruce. I've seen walleye, rainbows, bowfin, pike, and a sturgeon caught off that pier using a rod and reel, but that's the first time I've ever seen a muskie caught in any way off that pier. It was a surprise for sure.

Muskie-vs-Pike-species-identification.jpg

Attachments

• Muskie caught in someone's minnow net off the pier June 30 2022.jpg
    Muskie caught in someone's minnow net off the pier June 30 2022.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 36
That's a pike. I've always found the easiest way to tell the difference is pike generally have a similar pattern of white spots as shown below, and muskie have dark spots/bars.

The picture I attached is of a muskie ( a small one only weighed maybe 3lbs) caught in someone's minnow net while trying to catch minnows June 30 last year off the pier in Pt Bruce. I've seen walleye, rainbows, bowfin, pike, and a sturgeon caught off that pier using a rod and reel, but that's the first time I've ever seen a muskie caught in any way off that pier. It was a surprise for sure.

Muskie-vs-Pike-species-identification.jpg
Great information to break it down @Trevor M 👍👍 and thanks for sharing! 👊👊🙂

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks