Off Topic What’s in your boat toolbox?

Octavius Brine

Hi guys- curious what you bring on board for tools and spare parts. Here is what I seem to
have in my box:

spare prop + nut
cotter pins
1 new spark plug (useless hold over from old boat)
multimeter in a ziplock bag
some wire, connectors, fuses. Sandpaper for contacts.
assorted screwdrivers (especially flat blade for old motors on my boat)
Small hammer (thought that’s what adjustable wrench was for?)
channel locks, vise grip, adjustable wrench
Electrical tape
Small collection of nuts, bolts, screws, zip ties
WD-40 or brake clean or some can of spray
A rag or two

Haven’t used much of this during “a day on the lake” but during a few days camping by boat I tend to fiddle with things.

Any other ideas? Once I have busted a fuel line fitting on the kicker hose and it kind of ended the day’s trolling…

Lol yeah, that’s the problem @Derkd9. You keep adding and adding, plus I am a bit of a pack rat!

Towing Phone number I like- I can just write it on the lid in sharpie.

I might grab a prop wrench… can’t remember if I could even get my adjustable wrench onto the nut on mine?

All that plus Leatherman multitool ,first aid kit a couple of space blankets ,lighter ,5 spark plugs and Duct tape to be traditional. I also keep copies of my paper work in there.

Lol yeah, that’s the problem @Derkd9. You keep adding and adding, plus I am a bit of a pack rat!

Towing Phone number I like- I can just write it on the lid in sharpie.

I might grab a prop wrench… can’t remember if I could even get my adjustable wrench onto the nut on mine?
The plastic floating ones from crappy tire are perfect
I keep one in my boat

One time I spent a week at a boat access cottage. The starter solenoid gave out on day 2. I found some scrap metal, bent it into the shape I needed to jump the solenoid and started my boat with it for the week. It was piece of an old wooden ladder.

So keep one of those on board.

One time I spent a week at a boat access cottage. The starter solenoid gave out on day 2. I found some scrap metal, bent it into the shape I needed to jump the solenoid and started my boat with it for the week. It was piece of an old wooden ladder.

You can always tell a good mechanic from the homemade tools! Damn that solenoid manufacturer that didn’t line up the posts so that a screwdriver works (been there too!).

Everyt boat is a bit different. Besides the basics I have
A complete 3/8 drive socket set
Electrical tape
Zip tie
Spare bulbs for the trailer
Mechanic wire
Hose clamps
Vise grips
Cotter pins
2 part marine epoxy

Over 25 years boating and not been stranded yet....almost lol

Far too much just like when I ran northern Ontario. Anything and everything to get me to civilization.

Two toolboxes, full set of plugs.(both). Wires, hoses, filters, Bungie's, bits and pieces.

This and much more.🌻

prtz.jpg

Every time I have broke down it’s mechanical. Every time it’s been an 8mm or 10mm wrench that saved the day. (If your motor or boat is metric).

A VHF radio and a 68 call has worked too

I find it hard to stow a wooden ladder on board but one rung might work.

Every time I have broke down it’s mechanical. Every time it’s been an 8mm or 10mm wrench that saved the day. (If your motor or boat is metric).

A VHF radio and a 68 call has worked too
My motors are from the 80’s, but I have multiple sets of imperial wrenches- I should pick out the popular sizes and stash them in there!

@hvyhaul so organized! I should add a Plano organizer tray.

ever since I installed a 4hp kicker on my 16 footer I have always made sure to have a second motor on all my boats. You'll be going slow but at least you'll be going home.

most of my fishing is up near Timmins. Pretty remote. I have a dewalt bag full of wrenches, wire strippers, electric tape, screw drivers, ratcheting bit thing and a hammer.
In my safety kit I have a s%#t load ...... ok bad choice of words ..... toilet paper. Ya never know 😄

I find it hard to stow a wooden ladder on board but one rung might work.
ever since I installed a 4hp kicker on my 16 footer I have always made sure to have a second motor on all my boats. You'll be going slow but at least you'll be going home.
Definitely @Outdorman about having a second motor on a boat! 👍👍 that kicker motor is a piece of mind to have on a boat,if by chance anyone gets stranded,especially 15 mile’s off shore from one of the port’s on Lake Erie,or wherever!! Been there & done that last year,and thanks to my 9.9 h.p. outboard kicker motor for getting me back to shore,due to my main outboard motor failure! Be Safe to All. 🚤🎣🐟🐟👍😎

Attachments

• C73E38E2-9881-46CB-AB1F-7D87CB5D06E1.jpeg
    C73E38E2-9881-46CB-AB1F-7D87CB5D06E1.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 11
Far too much just like when I ran northern Ontario. Anything and everything to get me to civilization.

Two toolboxes, full set of plugs.(both). Wires, hoses, filters, Bungie's, bits and pieces.

This and much more.🌻

View attachment 71897
Looks like a trucker's kit minus the roadside emergency triangle markers. Must admit though you are a very tidy person. 😁

Looks like a trucker's kit minus the roadside emergency triangle markers. Must admit though you are a very tidy person. 😁

No point having stuff if you can't find it when needed.

Don't look in my garage. LOL it will scare you, but I can tell you if I have something and exactly where it is.

Most times. 😔 🌻

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks