Fishing Report Live/dead report from Cooks Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
It’s been a roller coaster ride since we left home Saturday morning.
Had to plow snow Friday night at midnight till 7:30 am Saturday morning.
We were all packed and loaded to go as soon as I got home.
We had motel reservations made so we just headed to Gilford to fish. The winds were brutally cold with some blowing drifting snow slightly. It didn’t stop us and off we started in 32’ and nothing but dinks. Moved to 24’ and the dinks followed us with a few keepers.
Packed it in around 4:00 pm and headed to Barrie to the motel.
Go to check in and the website and Expedia say it has a pool. 🤬 under renovations. Cancelled that place and now back on Expedia found another motel with pool and hot tub. Now it’s getting late and I’m tired and hungry so we booked it. Hot tub not working 🤬🤬. Forget it weren’t not looking anymore and booked it. After a couple of cold 🍺’s I said to Brandon that I need to eat something and decided to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings.
After placing an order of wings and a pitcher of more 🍺🍺 we complained that the wings were over cooked and not temperature hot. The waitress placed another order for us. It came back now hot and over cooked and dry wings🤬🤬🤬. Complained to the manager and he would make another order for us. Now I’m not waiting for strike 3 and said forget it we aren’t staying. Had pay for the pitcher of beer thou. But it getting late and I need food in my tummy not beers🤬🤬🤬🤬
So now it’s off to Chucks Roadhouse and they finally nailed it on the head with their wings and another 30 oz beer 👍😂Finally food and copius amounts of beers in my tummy it was time for bed (11:30 pm)
I must get cranky when there’s a lack of sleep and a tummy full of beer.
Head back out again today for some more dink action and finally enough is enough. I said Let’s get the 🤬out of Dodge.
But here is our perch fishing adventure for 2 🤬 days🫣
6143B704-BB73-4A2E-BF5B-83DE098766A3.jpegC392526C-9FD7-4EF4-9D6D-86CCCF164D79.jpegC8D97969-9F64-4DB6-A107-8856729B2944.jpeg

Thanks for the report Jim. It sucks about the hotels and terrible wings. Hopefully we get into something a bit bigger next week on the east side of Simcoe as it seems to be dink fest on that side from the reports I've read.

Thanks for the report Jim. It sucks about the hotels and terrible wings. Hopefully we get into something a bit bigger next week on the east side of Simcoe as it seems to be dink fest on that side from the reports I've read.
Hopefully @Extra Virgin you & whoever that is with you,will catch some decent perch on the East Side on Lake Simcoe. But, I heard through the “grapevine,” from the hut operator’s on Lake Simcoe,that the perch will not be on the east side next week!! 😌😙 Those Lake Simcoe perch follow a certain pattern around Lake Simcoe,especially during the ice fishing season!! 😌😙 lol 😂 🤣 I hope you & other’s will “Nail!!” those perch & Be Safe & Have FUN 🤩!! 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

It’s been a roller coaster ride since we left home Saturday morning.
Had to plow snow Friday night at midnight till 7:30 am Saturday morning.
We were all packed and loaded to go as soon as I got home.
We had motel reservations made so we just headed to Gilford to fish. The winds were brutally cold with some blowing drifting snow slightly. It didn’t stop us and off we started in 32’ and nothing but dinks. Moved to 24’ and the dinks followed us with a few keepers.
Packed it in around 4:00 pm and headed to Barrie to the motel.
Go to check in and the website and Expedia say it has a pool. 🤬 under renovations. Cancelled that place and now back on Expedia found another motel with pool and hot tub. Now it’s getting late and I’m tired and hungry so we booked it. Hot tub not working 🤬🤬. Forget it weren’t not looking anymore and booked it. After a couple of cold 🍺’s I said to Brandon that I need to eat something and decided to eat at Buffalo Wild Wings.
After placing an order of wings and a pitcher of more 🍺🍺 we complained that the wings were over cooked and not temperature hot. The waitress placed another order for us. It came back now hot and over cooked and dry wings🤬🤬🤬. Complained to the manager and he would make another order for us. Now I’m not waiting for strike 3 and said forget it we aren’t staying. Had pay for the pitcher of beer thou. But it getting late and I need food in my tummy not beers🤬🤬🤬🤬
So now it’s off to Chucks Roadhouse and they finally nailed it on the head with their wings and another 30 oz beer 👍😂Finally food and copius amounts of beers in my tummy it was time for bed (11:30 pm)
I must get cranky when there’s a lack of sleep and a tummy full of beer.
Head back out again today for some more dink action and finally enough is enough. I said Let’s get the 🤬out of Dodge.
But here is our perch fishing adventure for 2 🤬 days🫣
View attachment 70126View attachment 70127View attachment 70128
Nice photo’s & glad to read @Three Bouys that you and Brandon got out to spend some time perch fishing together,especially on Lake Simcoe where the possibility of catching some nice perch could happen. Too bad about the wings and the accommodations,but at least the 🍺 🍺🍺🍺 beer’s weren’t stale!! I was hoping to get out ice fishing on long point bay again this year,like in previous year’s,and maybe meet up with you fellows again,but unfortunately it isn’t looking too good so far on the inner bay,for some safe ice,or if it will ever happen this year! I won’t travel way up to Lake Simcoe,but I will instead wait till the soft water season is here,and try to catch the perch instead out of my boat,when the time comes on the inner bay. There are always the Thames River walleye’s for me to keep me fishing for now. Enjoy the perch fry & you both definitely earned it,after what you both have been through! 🐟🐟🐟🐟 😋😋👍👍🙂

13 more than I got this weekend...
And some quality time with Brandon... 😉

Shame about the accommodations and food when paying good $$$...

First time fishing out of Gilford and the access to the hard water is very good. There is free parking along Shore Access Dr on one side of the street. Just beware of the No Parking signs as you get closer to the water access. It’s perfect whether you have a quad or snowmobile We parked there for the 2 days. When we came in off the ice yesterday there wasn’t must snow on the street to drag the hut back. We just unhooked at the access point and Brandon drove the quad back to the truck and brought it back to load up the hut.
28538632-B520-4307-A81A-98E0498D81C6.jpeg

Cooks bay is generally dink city. Sometimes you get decent fish but it’s basically the nursery water of lake simcoe. If you are driving all that way you might as well head around the lake and go to port bolster or Beaverton. Better size typically although you may have to do a bit more hunting. Something to think about for next time! Anyway at least you got into some fishing!!

We used to get good numbers of decent sized perch in cooks bay but that was 15 years ago. Since then the fishing pressure has gone through the roof and there's barely a keeper to be found. I haven't fished there for a long time now opting for the east side but it seems to me it's heading in a similar direction. Just too much pressure.

Sorry to read about your bad luck Jim. I find customer service to be terrible in the restaurant sector ever since Covid. I have not went to any Hotels or Motels to speak for their treatment.

At least you caught some nice perch.

We used to get good numbers of decent sized perch in cooks bay but that was 15 years ago. Since then the fishing pressure has gone through the roof and there's barely a keeper to be found. I haven't fished there for a long time now opting for the east side but it seems to me it's heading in a similar direction. Just too much pressure.
Yup you are 100 % correct on the fishing pressure on the east side , last fall went out on Saturday Oct 1st wasn't that many boats maybe a dozen
Second trip October 10 th Monday same place the aria looked like long point bay on the weekend ice fishing last year February with hundreds of huts but with boats obviously
As far as I'm concerned we are the problem posting about fishing on line on any forums "and yes I'm part of it" ,for different reasons some for bragging rights some for information sharing or other reason
So if you post about fishing on open forums can't complain about next time you go to your spot not only taken but over run by many
I dont post my small lakes I fish for that reason
The big lakes Erie, Ontario, Huron are big water even if you name the ports you go out off won't effect the fishing only the ramps get busy
Long point bay I consider small lake and fishing can be effected by pressure but there is no secret there
Only thing I can recommend is you the one making that first post about how good the fishing was ,as usually it's not so much by the time you read about it

commercial guys rape our lakes with nets over and over, don’t feel the least bit guilty bringing home a few smaller fish…

It all starts with the population growth, to many people for the fish population.
Till they govern the population, fish will disappear.
WE need less people in the world, we are killing ourselves.
As David Suzuki said, our grand kids will be all dead at age 40.
Something to think about.
Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks