The circus has started...

DaveJ

1662990352600.png

The annual Ganny Great Salmon Snaggers Slaughter Sircus is in full swing.
Lots of arguments on Facebook, fishing forums, etc.
Videos with "sportsmen" with $$$$$thousands in float rods, center pin reels, neoprene and goretex chest waders, custom outerwear...all pretending to legally take these fish. I probably have more respect for the idiot with a $50 Canadian Tire rod and reel with 25lb test wearing running shoes and shorts...at least he's not trying to pretend.
Black fish with white open sores, tails and fins worn off,, white semi rotten flesh, laying in a foot of water.. Anyone who says they're edible table fare, good in a smoker is a fool.
This is a joke and a black eye on Ontario fishing, but the MNR and the province look the other way.
Pitiful.

Hmmmmmph. I'm guessing none of you have ever had your arm almost ripped off swinging streamers or spinners through murky deep pools while fishing legally and ethically for early migrants. Or for that matter have a bedded fish turn and chase down a drifted dew worm or roe bag and inhale it. I get the feeling I'm 1 of the lucky few in expensive waders that was raised by an ethical father to respect my quarry enough to harvest what I need (whether it's meat or eggs). Those that know me know I believe strongly in karma. I also believe that eggs from an illegally harvested fish won't last for years or catch me many other fish down the road. This March marked the 40th year he has been gone from my sight but I still believe in what I learned from him in the 12 years I got to share and learn of his passion for moving water and anything with an adipose fin.

We used to call them Michigan Streamers...

View attachment 65881
Lol michigan crickets was the term I always heard. You need to put some flourescent green or bright red yarn on there to be legit though. Makes you legal and gives you a better visual when exactly to 'set' the hook😁 Probably will start chucking some magnum spoons at Niagara this week though as the september/october spoonchucking there is hands down for me the most aderaline pumping angling in fresh water.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmph. I'm guessing none of you have ever had your arm almost ripped off swinging streamers or spinners through murky deep pools while fishing legally and ethically for early migrants. Or for that matter have a bedded fish turn and chase down a drifted dew worm or roe bag and inhale it. I get the feeling I'm 1 of the lucky few in expensive waders that was raised by an ethical father to respect my quarry enough to harvest what I need (whether it's meat or eggs). Those that know me know I believe strongly in karma. I also believe that eggs from an illegally harvested fish won't last for years or catch me many other fish down the road. This March marked the 40th year he has been gone from my sight but I still believe in what I learned from him in the 12 years I got to share and learn of his passion for moving water and anything with an adipose fin.
Hats off to you and anyone else who is fishing the fall salmon run ethically and responsibly. However what's happening on the Ganny is none of that.

Hats off to you and anyone else who is fishing the fall salmon run ethically and responsibly. However what's happening on the Ganny is none of that.
I'm guessing you're right in 95 percent of the cases unfortunately. All the other tribs are likely no different. That's why I keep my mouth (keyboard) shut most of the time. I've discovered a very lightly fished area that may not have near as many fish off of Lake Ontario but also very few loogins as well.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you're right in 95 percent of the cases unfortunately. All the other trips are likely no different. That's why I keep my mouth (keyboard) shut most of the time. I've discovered a very lightly fished area that may not have near as many fish off of Lake Ontario but also very few loogins as well.
Agree. We used to go to Manitoulin Island in the early fall..fish Michael's and Providence Bays in small boats for bows and staging salmon that were still pretty fresh...then hit some bigger creeks that had untouched fish, no staggers or stupid. We always left them alone if on redds or in really shallow water, only ate the bows, odd laker, some whitefish from the bays. I found even silverfish channels in the bay had started to deteriorate flesh wise. I guess I'm just picky

Lol michigan crickets was the term I always heard. You need to put some flourescent green or bright red yarn on there to be legit though. Makes you legal and gives you a better visual when exactly to 'set' the hook😁 Probably will start chucking some magnum spoons at Niagara this week though as the september/october spoonchucking there is hands down for me the most aderaline pumping angling in fresh water.
LOL I saw a bone head at the falls at Ben Miller a few years ago. Had a heavy meat rod with a fly reel with ?? what looked like 30lb test mono. Was using a big treble hook, a big weight a foot above...and had a pink Twister tail on the treble. He said the salmon loved pink Twisters. Yeah, they love them in the ass...

Anyone ever been to the circus across the boarder at Burt dam? Triple the amount of people of that first pic and the river is half the width. The best is the guys fly fishing with 1/2oz split shots on their line.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks